SMU/UofH Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fathergoose

Silver

Re: SMU/UofH

Post by fathergoose » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Has anybody heard from UH in a month?

Should we put out an Amber Alert for the UH Adcomm?

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 pm

fathergoose wrote:Has anybody heard from UH in a month?

Should we put out an Amber Alert for the UH Adcomm?
I think they disappeared from the face of the earth. They live among gods now :roll:

hjjs22

New

Post by hjjs22 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Does not including the optional statement on the SMU application hurt your chances?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm

hjjs22 wrote:Does not including the optional statement on the SMU application hurt your chances?

The only optional statement is for those that wish to be considered for financial aid.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
hjjs22 wrote:Does not including the optional statement on the SMU application hurt your chances?

The only optional statement is for those that wish to be considered for financial aid.
So you will not be awarded a scholarship unless you submitted the optional essay?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:15 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

So you will not be awarded a scholarship unless you submitted the optional essay?

No, everyone is considered for merit-based (GPA/LSAT) scholarships. The extra essay is for scholarships that take into account other factors. I've met with Dean Keehan on several occasions and she has said that EVERYONE is considered for scholarships. But, they do really like the optional essay, I wouldn't consider it too "optional."

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

No, everyone is considered for merit-based (GPA/LSAT) scholarships. The extra essay is for scholarships that take into account other factors. I've met with Dean Keehan on several occasions and she has said that EVERYONE is considered for scholarships. But, they do really like the optional essay, I wouldn't consider it too "optional."
I didn't write it. Should I try to send it at this point?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:24 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

You could very well be correct, but their application states --
15. Optional Admissions Question – Must be completed if you would like to be considered for an academic scholarship that takes into account
your accomplishments, experiences or background. (See Application Instructions.)
I take that to mean if you want a scholarship, write it.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I didn't write it. Should I try to send it at this point?
You can call and ask, I'm sure its fine. And, yeah, I'd definitely suggest it. They're super nice up there. They called ME last week because somehow, I left half my last name off of my Sumner's application (smooth, I know) and they wanted to make sure I got full consideration and send it again because the committee is "really nitpicky."

and @kalvano: They do give scholarships without that essay, I know many who have gotten full/half rides without it. The optional essay is for scholarships that "take into account accomplishments, experiences or background." Call their office and ask Jill Nikirk or Dean Keehan if you're skeptical, I've spoken to both of them quite a bit. On the website:
A number of full and partial scholarships are awarded to entering first-year students. Some scholarships are awarded on the basis of your J.D. application, while some scholarships require a separate application. Approximately 50 percent of students receive a scholarship.
EDIT: But, in the end, I most definitely recommend the essay regardless, and I'm pretty sure they prefer it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Does anyone know if SMU favors applicants that are legacies of the law school? I'm hoping they do....

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

you can apply for the sumner's scholly already?

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 pm

choochoo wrote:Does anyone know if SMU favors applicants that are legacies of the law school? I'm hoping they do....
you might have more luck moving this to the smu thread.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm

bonnieblue wrote:you can apply for the sumner's scholly already?

Yeah, its on ther SMU website, and its due by February 15: --LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

graciass

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 am

bonnieblue wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:

graciass
ack. do we need to send another LOR copy for the scholly?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”