U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Harle13

New

Re: U Arkansas (Fayetteville) 2010

Post by Harle13 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Bar passage rate and employment rate (who received employment quicker after graduation). I lived in both and Fayetteville hands down. It is smaller then Little Rock, so don't expect city, but it has great food/live music/scenary. Might as well learn how to call the hogs too. I did my undergrad at UofA and came from Big 12 football, so SEC was new to me.

william wallace wrote:Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

New rankings soon. I hear Fayetteville will move up.

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 am

Harle13 wrote:Bar passage rate and employment rate (who received employment quicker after graduation). I lived in both and Fayetteville hands down. It is smaller then Little Rock, so don't expect city, but it has great food/live music/scenary. Might as well learn how to call the hogs too. I did my undergrad at UofA and came from Big 12 football, so SEC was new to me.

william wallace wrote:Can anyone say why one school, either UA or UALR, is better than the other? Yes, I know UALR is T3 and UA is T2. Why is that? Is one really better?

Both schools are actually within 1% of each other on employment rate, and bar passage rate.

thechecker

New

Post by thechecker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:50 pm

finigol wrote:
Harle13 wrote:Bar passage rate and employment rate (who received employment quicker after graduation). I lived in both and Fayetteville hands down. It is smaller then Little Rock, so don't expect city, but it has great food/live music/scenary. Might as well learn how to call the hogs too. I did my undergrad at UofA and came from Big 12 football, so SEC was new to me.

Both schools are actually within 1% of each other on employment rate, and bar passage rate.
In 2011 US News they are within 1% of each other; over the past 5 years not as much. UALR has 2 advantages: it is that it places more into government with 12% and UA is 11% and has more clerkships UALR has 12% and UA has 8%, but UA has 4% in federal clerkships and UALR has 0%.

Another advantage is if you want to stay in Arkansas UALR places 89% in state, UA only 53%, but the flip side is that UA has more reach and places 30% out of AR, TX, LA, OK. UA Also places about 8-10% in Georgia/Atlanta yearly.

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:36 pm

^ I know the breakdown by regions, according to NALP, but do you know the breakdown by states?

thechecker

New

Post by thechecker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Here is a shortened list that I received from the admissions office with placements of UA graduates broken down by state and city.

Top States (and district):
Arkansas
Texas
Missouri
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Georgia
Florida
District of Columbia
California
Louisiana
---------
Virginia, Colorado, and Arizona not far behind

Top cities:
Little Rock, AR
Fayetteville, AR
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Tulsa, OK
Atlanta, GA
Washington, DC
Memphis, TN
Jacksonville, FL
Nashville, TN
---------
Kansas City & St. Louis, MO, San Antonio, TX and Los Angeles, CA not far behind

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas.of.Hunter

New

Post by Thomas.of.Hunter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:39 pm

got an email from them today for those that are already admitted, but I don't think I'm going to go there now. Texas Tech just offered me a full ride.
Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I got that email yesterday. Good times.

Isn't May 8th a Saturday?

deadlast

New

Post by deadlast » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:49 pm

I got the email as well, awesome to finally hear something from them. I was getting paranoid.

thechecker

New

Post by thechecker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Also received this email, did not get mine until today though! I must be at the end of the mailing list :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:31 am

Has anyone heard anything from Financial Aid or sent anything in yet?

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm

In regards to scholarships or loans? I got my scholarship letter the same day as my acceptance. Haven't heard anything since then from Arkansas, except the email last week.

In regards to housing - does anyone know much about the Campus Studio apartments? I'll be in Fayetteville next weekend to look for a place. I don't want to spend too much and I also want to be near campus (so I don't have to drive much), but I don't want to live in a crap place.

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

mdallavis wrote:In regards to scholarships or loans? I got my scholarship letter the same day as my acceptance. Haven't heard anything since then from Arkansas, except the email last week.

In regards to housing - does anyone know much about the Campus Studio apartments? I'll be in Fayetteville next weekend to look for a place. I don't want to spend too much and I also want to be near campus (so I don't have to drive much), but I don't want to live in a crap place.
Loan information, I received scholarship info with photo directory, I sent in stafford plus but I have not heard back from them.

I am also going next weekend to look at apartments. I am looking at 1 and 2 beds though because they are as cheap as 345 and the 2 beds are 405. I have not seen much info on studios. the off-campus housing website they have a bunch of apartments listed.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 pm

After looking at the websites (especially the Lindsay apartments), I think I might end up with a 2 bedroom as well. Can't beat that much room for the price.

I haven't gotten anything about loans. Hopefully will soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:30 pm

mdallavis wrote:After looking at the websites (especially the Lindsay apartments), I think I might end up with a 2 bedroom as well. Can't beat that much room for the price.

I haven't gotten anything about loans. Hopefully will soon.
Also, furnished for 300 a year is not a bad deal at all.

I called one of the complexes already and they said they had no 1 bedrooms available and in the last week 9 2 bedrooms were leased so the options may be limited.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 am

I'm still waiting on the financial info from Arkansas. They gave me in state tuition their. I sent in the deposit there and I'm just deciding between them LSU and my home school UNM.

For those of you that are from the state, maybe you can answer something for me. I visited LSU in April and spent some time in Mississippi and Alabama afterward with a friend that knows the area. He said everyone in the south shit talks Arkansas bad and it is looked at as the "bastard" state of the South, with Mississippi number 2 behind it. Is this the case down South or is this just his personal bias? He went to Auburn btw. I will say it did seem that the few people I interacted with in Baton Rouge and Alabama didn't seem to think to highly of Arkansas.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Thu May 06, 2010 8:29 am

Arkansas's state motto is "Thank Goodness for Mississippi," based on the premise that they are worse than AR and keep us from being the worst of the 50 states.

However, Northwest AR is nothing like the rest of the state. It's really nice up there.

It's all a personal choice. People can live in the worst place in the world and still be happy there.

I live in a rural area of South Arkansas, and we are looking forward to moving so we can be near shopping and things to do. We are used to it, but it would be nice not to drive 2 hours to go shopping.

The state does earn its offical motto of The Natural State. The landscape is beautiful and the state parks are awesome.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 am

Anyone received their student ID yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 3:07 pm

mdallavis wrote:Anyone received their student ID yet?
We are supposed to get it Friday May 8th I thought. When I read the Friday May 8th part...I just thought "please oh please don't tell me stereotypes of Arkansas don't extend to the law school".

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri May 07, 2010 3:33 pm

It did not inspire confidence. I'm pretty much locked in, though, so I guess they can say whatever they want.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Yeah that and that student photo book they sent me (Yikes!) makes me think twice about them. They gave me some money and in state tuition after the first year there is tempting. But damn Arkansas, don't reinforce stereotypes. Got to say it makes LSU and the other schools I have am thinking about look a bit better.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri May 07, 2010 5:48 pm

So now I'm really curious. ... What's so bad about the photobook?

As to this ...
darknightbegins wrote:For those of you that are from the state, maybe you can answer something for me. I visited LSU in April and spent some time in Mississippi and Alabama afterward with a friend that knows the area. He said everyone in the south shit talks Arkansas bad and it is looked at as the "bastard" state of the South, with Mississippi number 2 behind it. Is this the case down South or is this just his personal bias? He went to Auburn btw. I will say it did seem that the few people I interacted with in Baton Rouge and Alabama didn't seem to think to highly of Arkansas.
I live in Arkansas (but am leaving for California), and I've worked in Georgia and grew up in Tennessee.

The short answer to your question is: Yes, lots of people living in some states look down on lots of other states. And it is his personal bias (though maybe not a totally unfounded one). Arkansas does indeed fare poorly in a lot objectively measured ways. (See: obesity, ignorance, intolerance, and, most important to me, humidity.)

The longer, more relevant answer: If you come here, who cares? In almost all cases, those outsiders won't be the ones hiring you. Nobody gives an actual shit about this state vs. that state. You're fixin' to get a professional degree, which you will use to get a job working with, more or less, professional people. Even if it's from Arkansas, the JD program at UA-F/LR will be rigorous and filled with some very bright people and will grant you a level of higher education exceeding that of a substantial majority of the U.S. adult population (and probably more so of that in the South).

Sure, there's SEC football and so on. And good-natured ribbing about it being better in X than in Y.

But if you're attending UA -- or moving to Arkansas in general -- you probably shouldn't care about what somebody from Alabama thinks about it. Or Georgia, Tennessee, etc., etc. Because you will be hired by someone who lives in Arkansas. There are some Texas/Missouri/Okla./Tenn. jobs for UAF grads, but in those cases, you will be hired by professional people who care more about your grades than about the fact that you spent 3 years in Arkansas.

Now, if you're trying to ask about whether Arkansas is worth moving to (and it seems that's what you're wondering) ... then I'd say: Probably yes. I'm torn about moving away, b/c it is very easy to make a good life here. And there are bad parts (just as in any state/city in America), but the good ones tend to make up for it plenty. And don't worry: the redneck cooties aren't as contagious as you fear.

(EDIT: Note to say that intolerance in general is clearly worse than humidity. But the humidity here is, seriously, miserable.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Fair enough. I am not from the South but I have enjoyed my vists there (except for this one big ass Confederate flag I saw on the side of I-20 that was waving like in the middle of no where). I know that the South is generally a community, the way New England is in some respects. So I figured it would matter at least somewhat what other states generally think about each other. The vibe I got was that Arkansas was looked down upon by most of the other Southern states.

As for the photobook thing. It was just that alot, but not all, of the students looked...meh

Thomas.of.Hunter

New

Post by Thomas.of.Hunter » Sat May 08, 2010 2:24 am

got my student ID, but it says that the number is already registered, and I can't log in without the username..which I do not know. Oh well, still considering Texas Tech instead.
Last edited by Thomas.of.Hunter on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Sat May 08, 2010 7:51 am

Thomas.of.Hunter wrote:got my student ID, but it says that the number is already registered, and I can't log in without the username..which I do not know
Mine says Birthday/ID do not match. Guess I'll be waiting until Monday.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sat May 08, 2010 10:53 am

dgthree wrote:
Thomas.of.Hunter wrote:got my student ID, but it says that the number is already registered, and I can't log in without the username..which I do not know
Mine says Birthday/ID do not match. Guess I'll be waiting until Monday.
I had that problem last night. When I tried to sign in with my student number and birthdate this morning, it worked. I got my new student ID and email, but can't get into ISIS yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”