UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

New

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by 20140606 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 am

-
Last edited by 20140606 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

I don't think they're done. At a minimum, they're organizing the 'ready for review' apps and preparing to put them 'under review'. They may even surprise us and work through the weekend, so keep checking your status. I went from ready for review to under review to accepted in 48 hours, so once they get you in the funnel, it goes fast. I'm sure Admissions has every intention of getting through all the apps as quick as they can, especially at this late date. At the end of the day, they're responsible for filling a quality class to keep UNC ranked nationally. I know waiting is awful, but even if they notify you in April, if UNC is where you want to be, it won't matter to you a year from now when you're getting ready for 2L that you found out late about your admission. Good luck to everyone!

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 am

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am

skw wrote:I don't think they're done. At a minimum, they're organizing the 'ready for review' apps and preparing to put them 'under review'. They may even surprise us and work through the weekend, so keep checking your status. I went from ready for review to under review to accepted in 48 hours, so once they get you in the funnel, it goes fast. I'm sure Admissions has every intention of getting through all the apps as quick as they can, especially at this late date. At the end of the day, they're responsible for filling a quality class to keep UNC ranked nationally. I know waiting is awful, but even if they notify you in April, if UNC is where you want to be, it won't matter to you a year from now when you're getting ready for 2L that you found out late about your admission. Good luck to everyone!

You are right, skw. It will not be fun blowing half of a paycheck on a seat deposit next week at WFU, but if I find out in April, then what's the difference in the long run?

I recognize that this is all pure speculation, but I don't think they are done with acceptances. Per LSN, they've accepted 26 people so far this year. Last year on LSN, they accepted 57. Obviously there could be 500 explanations for this. Among these possible explanations: There are fewer people applying this year to law school, and therefore, perhaps fewer people are posting on these sites. Perhaps a smaller percent of all applicants, for some reason, are posting on LSN than in previous years. (I don't see how that one would make sense, but it's a possibility.) And of course, perhaps there are people who will post once they've made decisions on where to go.

Here's to hoping that one of the reasons so few acceptances are on LSN is because they will still extend a significant number of offers before next Friday.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm

I would hate to lose 300 dollars, but that is the price I will pay for acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

labballin24

New

Post by labballin24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

I called admissions about an hour ago. They told me that they are committed to getting some scholarship offers out before April 1st. They couldn't tell me whether or not my application was being considered in this cycle though.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Last edited by DeeCee on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Just a thought about why LSN isn't showing as many admits. I registered last night and have requested the verification email be sent to me like 6 times, but I still haven't seen it. It's possible there's some kind of glitch preventing people from verifying their accounts, so that's why more profiles aren't showing up for Carolina. Or it could just be something strange with my account...

As a side note, the guides on my tour a couple weeks ago at Carolina heard their admit decisions the last week of March and the first week of April respectively. The girl who heard in April said a bunch of people in her class were in the same admit boat and it was tough on all of them as well.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Not in spam, but maybe it's just delayed for some reason...

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 pm

DeeCee wrote:I have a question for anyone who might want to speculate. I'm ready to pay my deposit (just got my tax refund so I've got the extra cash for right now), but should I wait until I hear about scholarships? Once I put down my deposit, would there be less of an incentive for them to consider me for scholarships, or does it not matter either way?
It's tough to call. I have submitted a request for an increased scholly at another school and was told in person by their Director of Admissions that paying the deposit would greatly influence their Scholarship Committee to grant my request (the Director is not part of said Committee, as I understand it). Although there's always the chance UNC will just think they have got you so they don't need to offer you anything, I think it will just confirm how committed you are. I think UNC has a lot of very committed applicants who readily respond to offers of admission (above and beyond what many schools even dream about - this thread, for instance) so they would not necessarily write you off for depositing now.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm

I have a question for anyone who might want to speculate. I'm ready to pay my deposit to UNC, as I just got my tax refund so I've got the extra cash, and I know this is where I want to attend. But, should I wait until I hear about scholarships? Once I put down my deposit, would there be less of an incentive for them to consider me for scholarships, or does it not matter either way? If I knew it wouldn't reduce my competitiveness for a scholarship I'd put my deposit down this week.

EDIT: Thanks Jeffro for your answer! I ended up reposting this on the latest thread page because I figured it would get lost in the previous page.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SCJD2014

New

Post by SCJD2014 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Has anyone been rejected at UNC this round??

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:38 pm

beccabea wrote:
What kind of email do you use? I created an LSN account just yesterday using my Yahoo mail account (created entirely to collect spam, since Yahoo mail sucks harder than a Shop Vac)
lol, haha. Same for my hotmail account.
I feel like I have way too many email addresses between having an alumni email, another school email, and I few email accounts I made up myself.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 pm

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Jeffro wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I have a question for anyone who might want to speculate. I'm ready to pay my deposit (just got my tax refund so I've got the extra cash for right now), but should I wait until I hear about scholarships? Once I put down my deposit, would there be less of an incentive for them to consider me for scholarships, or does it not matter either way?
It's tough to call. I have submitted a request for an increased scholly at another school and was told in person by their Director of Admissions that paying the deposit would greatly influence their Scholarship Committee to grant my request (the Director is not part of said Committee, as I understand it). Although there's always the chance UNC will just think they have got you so they don't need to offer you anything, I think it will just confirm how committed you are. I think UNC has a lot of very committed applicants who readily respond to offers of admission (above and beyond what many schools even dream about - this thread, for instance) so they would not necessarily write you off for depositing now.
Do you think this is something worth calling about? Or is that weird? I guess the anxiousness of ending my cycle is getting to me. I feel like I've been obsessing about all of this for a year now.

EDIT: thanks becca! You guys are one step ahead of me today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:27 pm

slow day, guess I'll get back to writing

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 pm

DeeCee wrote:slow day, guess I'll get back to writing
I'll get back to work :D

I actually don't spend much time off task at work, I just keep my eye on this thread. The anxiety is reaching a climax!

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

So, there is definitely something going on with LSN. I was originally using my gmail address and when I changed it to a corporate address, the verification email came through immediately. I suspect others with gmail have had a similar issue and that could be why the #s are down this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Go Arizona. :twisted:

LawStudent_DC

New

Post by LawStudent_DC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Like many people on this thread, I'm irritated that UNC takes so long to render decisions. I emailed the admissions office a couple days ago, and here is the response I got:

Thank you for your continued interest in The University of North Carolina School of Law Chapel Hill.

We recognize and realize, you and half of our applicant pool have yet to hear decisions. I also know how frustrating this process can be. I truly do. Regardless of when the applicant applied, there is and was no guarantee that a decision would be rendered immediately. Also, our applicant pool holds numbers close to 3,000 and that while applicants are accepted for different reasons, admissions is competitive. It takes us a tremendous amount of time to review files. Those applicants that are more competitive than others will be reviewed first with the first round of decisions completed by April 1st. All other applicants will hear decisions by May 1st, 2011. Try not to become too obsessed with checking the status of your file (I know it’s hard not to).

So while I know your patience is wearing thin, I do ask you to kindly hold out for another month or so. Certainly if you are holding any acceptances to other law schools, I will highly advise and encourage you to place at least a seat deposit down as I would hate for you to miss out on that opportunity especially if it involves a scholarship. I can tell at this point, we have only offered 140 acceptances and have another 200 (give or take) to award this first round. We still have plenty of decisions to make and plenty of files still to review. Of course, you do know that you are welcome at any time to check in with me to see where we are in the processing of getting decisions out. I’ll tell you as much as I know.

.... hope someone finds this helpful.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Jeffro wrote:
Do you think this is something worth calling about? Or is that weird? I guess the anxiousness of ending my cycle is getting to me. I feel like I've been obsessing about all of this for a year now.

EDIT: thanks becca! You guys are one step ahead of me today.

DeeCee, just put the money aside for the deposit, but don't submit it. Regardless, what anyone tells you on here, once you submit that deposit, it gives the financial aid office no incentive to offer you a scholarship. You lose nothing by waiting, especially if you put that money aside. Just hold out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”