Military Law

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User
Posts: 342706
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:10 pm

willbailey wrote:Has anyone applying for April 2020 Air Force DAP board been contacted for the SJA interview? Guessing they will try avoid in-person interviews now but I haven't heard/seen any updates yet.


That is very strange. As far as I’m aware, there is no information indicating that the DAP process has been altered in any way to reflect COVID-19 concerns. I would contact 1-800-JAG-USAF to inquire about what’s up. I was contacted by my SJA within a couple of days of sending in my application.

Your SJA will appreciate getting this sorted out earlier than later, since their interview notes are due on April 1. Better give them more time than wait until the last second.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm

willbailey wrote:Has anyone applying for April 2020 Air Force DAP board been contacted for the SJA interview? Guessing they will try avoid in-person interviews now but I haven't heard/seen any updates yet.


Give it some time -- DOD reacting to COVID-19 is still in the macro steps at the Department level (stop movements, etc). The JA world will have to figure out a lot of things in-turn (such as, "are we still holding courts-martial?"). I guarantee in that mix is JAX figuring out how they will adjust recruiting and hiring. And now most of them are going to be trying to navigate this while in a telework status.

So stand by, be patient, and keep following the the JAX Facebook page.

mulligansoup

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mulligansoup » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
mulligansoup wrote:Navy had a low acceptance rate this board, so I decided to accept Army and continue with that process now and am getting more and more excited. I followed the email and contacted CAPT MacDonald saying I accept the offer of commission. Now I am waiting to hear back and have started the DODMETS paperwork I received as an alternate to start getting my documents in order.

Is anyone else going through the Army JAGC process right now? What should I expect to happen in the coming weeks? I am sending our good vibes to everyone still waiting and making a decision.


Which board for the Navy are you talking about?


The 3L Spring Board that just came out. I heard it was something like 6/110 applications were accepted, but that was some secondhand information.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342706
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm

Anyone available to offer information on being a Marine Judge Advocate? I am leaning towards USMC over the other branches because I'm interested in being trained to the full extent as an officer, not just as a lawyer. However, I haven't been able to find any information on specifics like how much control you have over your practice area as a JA or the likelihood of being selected to go for an LLM. Also are the assignment location options pretty much just Virginia, Hawaii, San Diego, and Japan? Any insight would be appreciated!

swharre

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 am

Re: Military Law

Postby swharre » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
willbailey wrote:Has anyone applying for April 2020 Air Force DAP board been contacted for the SJA interview? Guessing they will try avoid in-person interviews now but I haven't heard/seen any updates yet.


Give it some time -- DOD reacting to COVID-19 is still in the macro steps at the Department level (stop movements, etc). The JA world will have to figure out a lot of things in-turn (such as, "are we still holding courts-martial?"). I guarantee in that mix is JAX figuring out how they will adjust recruiting and hiring. And now most of them are going to be trying to navigate this while in a telework status.

So stand by, be patient, and keep following the the JAX Facebook page.

My SJA at Scott AFB is allowing FaceTime interviewing, so I think the AF is forward thinking in light of COVID-19

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 342706
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

swharre wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
willbailey wrote:Has anyone applying for April 2020 Air Force DAP board been contacted for the SJA interview? Guessing they will try avoid in-person interviews now but I haven't heard/seen any updates yet.


Give it some time -- DOD reacting to COVID-19 is still in the macro steps at the Department level (stop movements, etc). The JA world will have to figure out a lot of things in-turn (such as, "are we still holding courts-martial?"). I guarantee in that mix is JAX figuring out how they will adjust recruiting and hiring. And now most of them are going to be trying to navigate this while in a telework status.

So stand by, be patient, and keep following the the JAX Facebook page.

My SJA at Scott AFB is allowing FaceTime interviewing, so I think the AF is forward thinking in light of COVID-19


Currently at JASOC 20-B. What I can say is a number of base legal offices are working from home, which would impact interviews. JASOC is still running, normal-ish, we had 6 training days cut off due to the no travel order. Not sure how COVID-19 will impact the selection board.

nodoze

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby nodoze » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Great thread and thanks to all who have contributed to it over time.

I am disabled retired from the Navy and just went through the process of helping my oldest get her 4 year ROTC scholarship.

My 2nd oldest believes she wants to be a JAG and I am kinda lost as to what is the best option for her to pursue straight out of high school.

Would her enrolling in a 3+3 program at a University that has an ROTC program be the best option with me paying the first 2-3 years and then her applying for a 4 year or 3 year ROTC program make the most sense or are there better options to consider?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm

nodoze wrote:Great thread and thanks to all who have contributed to it over time.

I am disabled retired from the Navy and just went through the process of helping my oldest get her 4 year ROTC scholarship.

My 2nd oldest believes she wants to be a JAG and I am kinda lost as to what is the best option for her to pursue straight out of high school.

Would her enrolling in a 3+3 program at a University that has an ROTC program be the best option with me paying the first 2-3 years and then her applying for a 4 year or 3 year ROTC program make the most sense or are there better options to consider?


If you and your second oldest are only considering the Navy, I'll let our Navy posters weigh in.

Air Force has a number ways to skin this cat, though I cannot comment on what is the most economically advantageous.

The Educational Delay (Ed Delay) program is one route - she would go through ROTC as an undergrad, commission, and if selected for Ed Delay by the JAGC, she would then attend law school and subsequently serve as a JAG.

See generally: https://afrotc.asu.edu/sites/default/fi ... aug_11.pdf

She could also go through ROTC, commission into whatever career field, and then pursue either FLEP or ELP to attend law school and become a JAG:

https://www.airforce.com/careers/specia ... y-military


I will note these programs are *extremely* competitive in their selection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?




Return to “Public Interest & Government?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.