More BigLaw TikTok drama! Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Re: More BigLaw TikTok drama!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:40 pm
Those associates need a TikTok presence so Kirkland will fear firing them.
Considering the number of attorneys Kirkland has and the rate at which these Tiktok "stars" are popping up... a little surprised we haven't found a Kirkland attorney yet. Could be the requisite that to join Kirkland, one must lack personality and any and all passion in life.
https://www.tiktok.com/@thechicagoattorney
I spoke too soon. Most of these tiktok pages are incredibly tacky. I wasn't a corporate summer but I think I briefly met this guy at a summer associate mixer last year and he seemed like a normal and somewhat quiet guy.

Call me out of touch I just can't help but have negative opinions of these tiktokers. I have yet to see a big law tiktok account that hasn't made me cringe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:56 pm

Dahl wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:41 pm
It’s hilarious that her fans were asking if her law firm can take away her law license.

This woman is hoping her influencer career takes off and makes her more money than she could as a lawyer. And some influencers make a ridiculous amount so who knows but it seems unlikely. Are law schools starting to hold career counseling sessions on how to deal with social media as a lawyer? We used to get the typical “don’t post anything controversial”advice but the way social media is now I don’t think the current crop of kids understand that people actually will care if you’re embarrassing or come across as unprofessional.
It's not just the kids that aren't okay. Alarmingly, in her most recent video she says she's 32. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:40 pm
Those associates need a TikTok presence so Kirkland will fear firing them.
Considering the number of attorneys Kirkland has and the rate at which these Tiktok "stars" are popping up... a little surprised we haven't found a Kirkland attorney yet. Could be the requisite that to join Kirkland, one must lack personality and any and all passion in life.
https://www.tiktok.com/@thechicagoattorney
I spoke too soon. Most of these tiktok pages are incredibly tacky. I wasn't a corporate summer but I think I briefly met this guy at a summer associate mixer last year and he seemed like a normal and somewhat quiet guy.

Call me out of touch I just can't help but have negative opinions of these tiktokers. I have yet to see a big law tiktok account that hasn't made me cringe.
Based on the public comments the STB and other biglaw tiktokers get for their videos, Biglaw tiktok content are for non-lawyers/aspirational but dumb kids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:16 pm

How does she get away with this? My firm would have me out on my ass so quick...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dyemond

Bronze

Post by dyemond » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm

Totally normal behavior to comfortably risk losing your $300K+ white shoe lawyer job in the shadow of a recession so that you can also be paid to do tiktoks on the side.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:16 pm
How does she get away with this? My firm would have me out on my ass so quick...
at a firm like stb, too. wild.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:00 pm

This is wild. I don't understand this girl. Why is she risking a job that pays way more than her TikTok career, no less, bashing her firm. I give her under a year at STB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 pm

Okay so like she doesn't want this job right? And comparing lawyers at the firm giving talks or adjuncting at law schools to sponsored TikTok brand deals, implying that stumped them and then everyone clapped...like dude I hope she truly does have family money like that

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 pm
Okay so like she doesn't want this job right? And comparing lawyers at the firm giving talks or adjuncting at law schools to sponsored TikTok brand deals, implying that stumped them and then everyone clapped...like dude I hope she truly does have family money like that
I did not want to have to make this comment but holy hell. This tiktoker's take is mind-numbingly stupid. The only thing worse than the arguments she tried to make to GC is the obvious self satisfaction she derived from making them. She thinks she's playing chess.

Is this the standard of intellect at STB? How embarrassing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:32 pm

Confession time: this was before TikTok but ore law school I had a moderate social media following. Not huge but enough to have people invested in your dumb drama. It felt cool at the time but it's really very stressful and even scary at times. I got doxed and people tried to get me fired. I shut down all my social media before law school and looking at these stories I'm so glad I got out and into a normal career before it was too late.

Ngl tho, I still sometimes miss it.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I did not want to have to make this comment but holy hell. This tiktoker's take is mind-numbingly stupid. The only thing worse than the arguments she tried to make to GC is the obvious self satisfaction she derived from making them. She thinks she's playing chess.

She'll be gone within a year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of tiktok free and intelligent lawyers who would line up to have her spot at Simpson. Why is the firm tolerating this? The supposed diversity point is not worth it at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of tiktok free and intelligent lawyers who would line up to have her spot at Simpson. Why is the firm tolerating this? The supposed diversity point is not worth it at this point.
Firms will tolerate egregious behavior for the sake of diversity, and they will fire "diverse" associates more slowly and more deliberately (i.e., spend more time papering the reasons).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW she was at Fried Frank before so she definitely lucked out with the COVID hiring craze in landing at STB...

But yes, it's jaw-dropping to see that she actually seems to think how she's handling this situation is peak realpolitik.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:10 pm

Weird FF flame. In a regular market, a FF to STB lateral would not be remotely abnormal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:50 pm
I think a firm policy that blanket bans brand partnerships like this is too blunt an instrument; I think she has some valid arguments (clearly aside from "slavery" comment) regarding building her personal brand and monetizing it where the opportunities pose no direct conflict to the firm. I think more flexible firm policies are possible if both sides can work together on it.

But as someone who left BigLaw as a senior and is now "the client" (in-house at a private fund, which seems to be her practice area per STB website), these particular tiktok videos are cringey enough for us that we would quietly ask partners for restaffing or simply shift new matters to another one of the firms we work with. Unfortunately, warranted or not, posting things like this publicly raises questions regarding professional judgment and whether her potential interactions with others on our behalf would be risky. We would say the same if these videos were posted by one of her colleagues benefiting from "connections that mommy and dad had, and legacy, and immense wealth" (to her comments at ~2:00 mark in 2nd video).

That will be an interesting conversation with the firm GC, and I'm genuinely impressed she feels so passionately about it and is willing to vote with her feet if necessary, particularly in this market. Hope they can work something out.
I don’t watch Tiktok for security reasons, but if she actually referenced an anti-moonlighting policy as comparable to slavery, she should be immediately terminated.
you can watch Tiktok videos on your laptop without security issues I believe

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:28 pm

Could someone please add her TikTok rants on Fishbowl - I would love to see how the people of Fishbowl would react to this + see more lawyers discuss this issue

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:28 pm
Could someone please add her TikTok rants on Fishbowl - I would love to see how the people of Fishbowl would react to this + see more lawyers discuss this issue
Could that someone be you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:48 pm

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:28 pm
Could that someone be you?
I wish, but my fishbowl account is too identifiable for my comfort since my "posting as" title is my small firm (I have been unable to change this because of Fishbowl's bad design)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:14 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:10 pm
Weird FF flame. In a regular market, a FF to STB lateral would not be remotely abnormal.

can't comment on the lateral market. just saying she didn't get stb right out of law school, which was in response to someone else's comment above re: their surprise at the "standard of intellect at STB" lol. and i don't think anyone is going to seriously argue that someone who gets an stb-tier offer in OCI is weighing it against FF.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:18 pm

Honestly genuinely expected to empathize with her a lot more, but yikes... the circumvention of conflicts is usually by consent of the parties right? So sure, the firm can circumvent most other business conflicts by being like hey we work on securities litigation for coca cola and privacy for pepsi, can y'all please consent to this. Imagine how weirded out your client would be to have to waive conflicts because the junior associate has a tiktok deal lol.

urbancowboy

New

Post by urbancowboy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:06 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 am

urbancowboy wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:06 pm
*DJ Khaled Voice* "Another one!"

https://www.tiktok.com/@legallypriscill ... 9854226731
No new info really but it is surprising that she seems to have really thought the firm may have been willing to change their policy and that this firm is any different than any other one wrt how they handle associates having potential conflicts. Don't think she would have expended that much effort if she thought otherwise unless it's just for the clout... in which case fine, but can't be surprised when those new opportunities on the horizon aren't firms who care about conflicts rules (or who would rather not deal with an associate trying to fight its gc over ethics policies)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:55 am

I'm living for every drop now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”