adderall and LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ishotthedeputy

New

Re: adderall and LSAT

Post by Ishotthedeputy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 pm

I have been taking it to study for the LSAT and I have to say it really helps to focus for long periods of time. Normally I'm distracted by email, pandora, reddit, etc. But with this I can study for 4-6 hours straight.

I start studying at 4-5pm and Before I know it It is 10pm or even 11 pm and I put in solid studying time, with a couple of breaks here and there. I plan on continuing using and on test day. I seems to help.

Yet don't expect to see incredible results as far as intelligence goes. It just helps with study time.

eans820

New

Post by eans820 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:15 pm

I was diagnosed with ADHD some time ago and have a prescription for ritalin. I take it on a daily basis and used it doing PT's. I would take 30 mgs before sec one and then another 10 or 20 after sec three (in 5 sec tests). During Pt's this dosage was fine and I did not feel cracked out etc. I did the same dosage on test day and it was a nightmare... i might as well have done some meth before the test.

Matthies

Silver

Re: aderal and LSAT

Post by Matthies » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

talibkweli wrote:and fix the spelling of the thread title. a dyxlexic 6 year old could have done a better job spelling "adderall."
Actually I'm dyslexic, and past six, and that's how I would spell it.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Manash wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Not to hijack this thread, Talib, but I thought it was hilarious when I read recently that Christian Bale's inspiration for the character in your tar was Tom Cruise.

Really? Tom Cruise was actually going to play that role before Bale, and I think he would have been unintentionally hilarious.
Another one...

Joking. :mrgreen:
Oh my goodness, you must be insufferable in real life.

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm

talibkweli wrote:
Manash wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Not to hijack this thread, Talib, but I thought it was hilarious when I read recently that Christian Bale's inspiration for the character in your tar was Tom Cruise.

Really? Tom Cruise was actually going to play that role before Bale, and I think he would have been unintentionally hilarious.
Another one...

Joking. :mrgreen:
Oh my goodness, you must be insufferable in real life.
Well now..you're certainly one to talk. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cardinal08

New

Post by cardinal08 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:14 am

I have no real moral qualms with taking adderall either for studying or the test. That said, my advice is DO NOT take study aids for the LSAT. I had a friend who took adderall for the test and it was a disaster, even though he had been practicing well on them. The biggest problem is that it relaxes you too much. You'll be "in the zone" and focus really hard on the difficult questions, not realizing that time is slipping by. You don't need to be focused like a truck driver for this test - you need your nerves, a sense of urgency and the clock. My two cents.

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:24 am

cardinal08 wrote:I have no real moral qualms with taking adderall either for studying or the test. That said, my advice is DO NOT take study aids for the LSAT. I had a friend who took adderall for the test and it was a disaster, even though he had been practicing well on them. The biggest problem is that it relaxes you too much. You'll be "in the zone" and focus really hard on the difficult questions, not realizing that time is slipping by. You don't need to be focused like a truck driver for this test - you need your nerves, a sense of urgency and the clock. My two cents.
An amphetamine that induces relaxation? Sounds interesting.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 am

ZombiesAhead wrote:
cardinal08 wrote:I have no real moral qualms with taking adderall either for studying or the test. That said, my advice is DO NOT take study aids for the LSAT. I had a friend who took adderall for the test and it was a disaster, even though he had been practicing well on them. The biggest problem is that it relaxes you too much. You'll be "in the zone" and focus really hard on the difficult questions, not realizing that time is slipping by. You don't need to be focused like a truck driver for this test - you need your nerves, a sense of urgency and the clock. My two cents.
An amphetamine that induces relaxation? Sounds interesting.
I find being hyper-focused on something more tweaked out than relaxing.

thinkbig

Bronze

Re: aderal and LSAT

Post by thinkbig » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:26 am

talibkweli wrote:adderall helps dumb people do things like go from a140 to a 145. to score at the 170+ level, however, you need the kind of grasp of subtelty and nuanced language that being cracked out on adderall precludes. HTH!
you ignorant

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

j2d3

New

Post by j2d3 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:01 am

I hear provigil is where its at for nontweaky hyperfocus

calkel

New

Post by calkel » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:07 am

don't do what i did and take the wrong pills by accident

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

it's embarrassing to have the person next to you ask you to stop rubbing your nipples

inmans

New

Post by inmans » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Not everyone who has ADHD is diagnosed with ADHD. Not everyone diagnosed with ADHD actually has it.
Last edited by inmans on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm

+1 for inmans. Tempered, wise, and medically accurate advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 am

Everything people are saying here is true. I know this because I tried adderall yesterday while studying. The previous day I took a prep test and got all logic games correct with 6 minutes left over, but I got 8 reading comprehension questions wrong. It was clear that area needed some improvement. Given how far behind I was in that area, I decided to try adderall to make what I was doing at least feel interesting.

The result? I only got 1 wrong in reading comprehension the next day. However, I didn't even make it to the last set of logic game questions. I made it 19 before running out of time. And 3 of those were wrong, lol

Adderall gives you the ability to read something with your entire brain. It's like setting your brain down directly on the book and absorbing through osmosis. Adderall is fantastic for absorbing and retaining facts, which is why it helps in reading comprehension. Which would be great if you were studying for the Bar or CPA exam, I suppose. Or you wanted to learn vocabulary for the GRE. It will help you with rote memorization, but as everyone knows, that's not what the LSAT is. 75% of the LSAT is reasoning, and if your mind is racing with amphetamines, the creative part of your brain will start shutting down and you will not be able to capture the subtle minutia of a good AR or LR problem.

But there probably is a way to do it. My recommendation would be, take adderall on the days when you are learning theories. For example, diagramming problems, logic game setups. You would continue to remember those setups very well. But on days when you are taking prep tests and ESPECIALLY on the day of the real thing, don't even touch this stuff. It's a big mistake. Also, when you come off of adderall, depression tends to set it. Not fun.

Just having a good diet will do more for you than adderall. Eat an avocado and some spinach every day. Green tea is nice. Etc.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:28 am

This topic gets brought up every gd cycle. Man up and do the damn thing yourself. Wimps.

Rack duh disciprine.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Uh huh.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Ginj wrote:This topic gets brought up every gd cycle. Man up and do the damn thing yourself. Wimps.

Rack duh disciprine.
Well Ginj, hope you're not planning on drinking any caffeine. Caffeine is a psychoactive drug, albeit with milder effects, but addictive properties nonetheless. First Red Bull or Mountain Dew you drink means, I guess, you aren't doing it on your own anymore.

People have compared adderall to steroids. And in many ways that's true. Like I said, I'd advocate a better diet to keep you alert and not sluggish while studying. Everyone here who has tried it will agree the adderall will not really help you, except there probably is a way to do it right like I said, if taken at the right times and in small therapeutic doses. But taking adderall doesn't mean you're not "doing it yourself." People on steroids still work out in the gym harder than anyone else does most of the time. They don't just take steroids and then sit on their couch, they bust their asses in the gym five days a week. Performance enhancing drugs doesn't mean the drug is doing the whole performance. Caffeine is a performance enhancing drug, that just happens to be legal, if it makes you feel better. The next time you take a sip of coffee, just remember, by your logic, you're a fraud. Personally? I don't care either way, I'm just offering an objective opinion to people interested in this, rather than wasting people's time with a base opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:15 pm

If this is the best you can do in necromancing an adderall thread, you clearly have no taste and poor RC and will need to do drugs to do even passably well on the LSAT. HTH

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:31 pm

for people with ADHD, provigil and vyvanse are a better combination (IMO) than regular generic amphetamine salts for the LSAT--less of a "burst", more of a concentrated focus. but if adderall is all that works for you yet you still get jittery, a small dose of ativan/xanax might help balance it out. meditation/diet/exercise are probably your best bet(s) there, though.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:52 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:for people with ADHD, provigil and vyvanse are a better combination (IMO) than regular generic amphetamine salts for the LSAT--less of a "burst", more of a concentrated focus. but if adderall is all that works for you yet you still get jittery, a small dose of ativan/xanax might help balance it out. meditation/diet/exercise are probably your best bet(s) there, though.
LOL. Blow a fat line of coke, but be sure to shoot some heroin as well to make sure you don't get jittery! Mixing uppers and downers is highly unlikely to increase your LSAT score.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:22 pm

I’m definitely not qualified to give medical advice…but I think that switching to extremely nutritious diet with a lot of “brain foods,” getting at least an hour of cardio-workout every day, and establish a regular 8+ hour sleep schedule will (a) provide you with more predictable positive results than popping an unsubscribed pill, (b) be a safer and smarter way of impacting your score, and (c) get you into a healthy routine that would be an asset in law school.

I can attest that my PT scores went up when I switched from a diet where I subsisted on soft drinks, pizza, and sugary cereal to the following diet/routine…I created it after reading a book on “brain foods”

Breakfast: Smoothie—2 cups frozen blueberries, scoop of vanilla protein powder, 2 raw eggs, ½ cup cranberry juice, ¾ cup apple juice, 1 “ice-cream-scoop-size” of vanilla yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seed

Lunch: No carbohydrates. Either a spinach-leaf salad with smoked salmon on the side and a bowl of unsalted, unroasted nuts or seeds

Or, Lunch smoothie: ½ avocado, peeled kiwi, 5 or 6 ice-cubes, 1 cup apple juice, handful of spinach leaves. On the side and a bowl of unsalted, unroasted nuts or seeds.

Dinner: whatever I want.

I also replaced coffee with green tea and limited it to two cups per day. Other than that I only drink water or milk.

Every evening I run for 1.5 hours…jog for 90 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, until I burn out then 60/30, then 30/30, then 30/60, 30/90, etc…

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Congratulations on making and sticking with positive lifestyle changes. It will be difficult to maintain that schedule in law school. Good luck.
longdaysjourney wrote:I’m definitely not qualified to give medical advice…but I think that switching to extremely nutritious diet with a lot of “brain foods,” getting at least an hour of cardio-workout every day, and establish a regular 8+ hour sleep schedule will (a) provide you with more predictable positive results than popping an unsubscribed pill, (b) be a safer and smarter way of impacting your score, and (c) get you into a healthy routine that would be an asset in law school.

I can attest that my PT scores went up when I switched from a diet where I subsisted on soft drinks, pizza, and sugary cereal to the following diet/routine…I created it after reading a book on “brain foods”

Breakfast: Smoothie—2 cups frozen blueberries, scoop of vanilla protein powder, 2 raw eggs, ½ cup cranberry juice, ¾ cup apple juice, 1 “ice-cream-scoop-size” of vanilla yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seed

Lunch: No carbohydrates. Either a spinach-leaf salad with smoked salmon on the side and a bowl of unsalted, unroasted nuts or seeds

Or, Lunch smoothie: ½ avocado, peeled kiwi, 5 or 6 ice-cubes, 1 cup apple juice, handful of spinach leaves. On the side and a bowl of unsalted, unroasted nuts or seeds.

Dinner: whatever I want.

I also replaced coffee with green tea and limited it to two cups per day. Other than that I only drink water or milk.

Every evening I run for 1.5 hours…jog for 90 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, until I burn out then 60/30, then 30/30, then 30/60, 30/90, etc…

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 pm

paratactical wrote:If this is the best you can do in necromancing an adderall thread, you clearly have no taste and poor RC and will need to do drugs to do even passably well on the LSAT. HTH
*shrugs*

if posting 21 times a day is the best you can do at life, then you probably will need to give a girl drugs to make her think you do even passably well in the sack. i was sharing insight into a topic that is relevant every year, get a life.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 pm

I took it to go through the bibles not on PTs though it slowed me down too much on the RC. All it does is make me really interested in what I'm doing whether it be reading, writing, or watching a movie (that's the worst when your about to go to the library flip through the channels real quick and find yourself watching an entire movie before leaving your house)

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:26 am

robotclubmember wrote:
paratactical wrote:If this is the best you can do in necromancing an adderall thread, you clearly have no taste and poor RC and will need to do drugs to do even passably well on the LSAT. HTH
*shrugs*

if posting 21 times a day is the best you can do at life, then you probably will need to give a girl drugs to make her think you do even passably well in the sack. i was sharing insight into a topic that is relevant every year, get a life.
--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”