Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

User avatar
muddywaters
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:05 pm

jtgain wrote:I still don't understand how any of this violates LSACs copyright, or how they can forbid a discussion of what happened on the test.

Let me ask you this: If I watch Die Hard, and come on this site and say "Wow, that Bruce Willis sure was cool when he threw the guy off of the building" can I be sued for copyright infringement by the movie studio?

I don't think LSACs or anyone else's copyright extends that far. Now if it is a board rule for whatever reason, that's fine, but I don't think any of us needs a lecture on how we are breaking the copyright laws when it is certainly not true..


You should email LSAC with your account number and the things being said on this site...and see what they say.

The Environment
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby The Environment » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm

You know if you post a question and don't mention LSAT, or LSAC, then you are not in breach of violations right?

Ex. A friend of mine came up with this question, what do you gyuys think about it? And then paraphrase an LSAT 09 question. Boom in the clear.

User avatar
muddywaters
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 pm

The Environment wrote:You know if you post a question and don't mention LSAT, or LSAC, then you are not in breach of violations right?

Ex. A friend of mine came up with this question, what do you gyuys think about it? And then paraphrase an LSAT 09 question. Boom in the clear.


Have fun chasing ambulances...

User avatar
wendyone
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby wendyone » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:40 pm

RickyMack wrote:
DCD wrote:right.. but movies are copyrighted too but you are still allowed to talk about them in broad strokes no? we are not reproducing, verbatim, any LSAT questions. Once again.. not being difficult.. Im happy to comply for the sake of the site.


they really should let people print the certifying statement instead of forcing people to write in cursive. i spent more time trying to figure out if i was drawing the letters correctly.


YES!

I haven't used cursive since 5th grade. I felt like an idiot. On the bright side, this set the tone for the afternoon.

uknowme
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby uknowme » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 pm

isn't this the site whose owner paid someone to commit copyright violations of the usnwr rankings by posting them on his own site?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby ruleser » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm

uknowme wrote:isn't this the site whose owner paid someone to commit copyright violations of the usnwr rankings by posting them on his own site?



:shock: Ut oh, I believe "It is on..." I am ducking for cover...

uknowme
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby uknowme » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:52 pm

oh, and don't forget, the offer of payment for said act was also made on the same public site.

User avatar
muddywaters
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby muddywaters » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 pm

uknowme wrote:isn't this the site whose owner paid someone to commit copyright violations of the usnwr rankings by posting them on his own site?


why are you here then if you are against The Man?

User avatar
Z'Barron
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Z'Barron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:43 pm

muddywaters wrote:
tekisui wrote:If anything inappropriate is being posted, it is deleted, right?

I assume if posts are allowed to stand and threads are allowed to continue with being deleted by the mods, then no rules are being broken.


yeah, but they shouldnt be posted in the first place. it's written all over here.......

we dont want to ban people for this stuff........but its against LSAC and TLS rules.


You know? I am tired of this cockin-bull about LSAC's privacy. I can understand not discussing the exam with someone who is about to take the June exam, but I think there might be a 1st Amendment violation if the LSAC pushes it too far. After all. One can argue that the public has an interest in discussing how applicants are being tested and whether the exams were unfairly hard...of poor quality, etc. I respect TLS and the LSAC, but we are not deliberately giving any individuals or groups an edge.

The LSAC has plenty of weapons in its arsenal with which to make the test hell, as it proved on Monday. This should not go too far...from their standpoint. I am a free American citizen and I can discuss whatever I want. I spoke to no one at the site about the test the day it was administered; that should be enough.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 pm

the site webmaster could put in a little script that is activated for a few days after the LSAT which looks for mentions of lsat, the month the test was taken in, LG, LR, RC, and the word question (or section), in proximity to each other, and prevent such posts from being made.

i know how you could do this, it's pretty easy w/ perl

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:06 am

This is not very difficult to understand. LSAC wants to make every penny they possibly can off of their material. Every time substantive LSAT material is posted here, the owner of the site, Ken, profits from it. This LSAC will not tolerate.

This site is a for-profit business, it's not at all akin to discussing the LSAT with your friends in person (although arguably even that is in breach of the contract you signed when you took the LSAT not to discuss it).

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 am

bigben wrote:This is not very difficult to understand. LSAC wants to make every penny they possibly can off of their material. Every time substantive LSAT material is posted here, the owner of the site, Ken, profits from it. This LSAC will not tolerate.

lol do you know how the internet works? who pays Ken when LSAT material is posted here? magical fairies and gummy bears?

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby coolkatz321 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 am

muddywaters wrote:Our site could be jeopardized.

Thanks........again...........


Oh muddy, this was us once. Of course, we all stopped pretty quickly after being reprimanded the first time...

By the way, are you going to NU or Berk next year?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 am

As pleased as I am to be a topic of conversation once more, I don't really understand all the controversy here.

Muddy gives a lot to this site. He made a simple request, and the people of TLS should honor it.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 am

Please tell me all offenders get the banhammer.

And y'all should just give it up now. Muddy was blowing up LSAT threads before he was even a mod.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 am

Lxw wrote:
bigben wrote:This is not very difficult to understand. LSAC wants to make every penny they possibly can off of their material. Every time substantive LSAT material is posted here, the owner of the site, Ken, profits from it. This LSAC will not tolerate.

lol do you know how the internet works? who pays Ken when LSAT material is posted here? magical fairies and gummy bears?


Do you know how the internet works? This is a for-profit site that makes money from advertising. Mostly all of the content is created free of charge by the users, and that content is what generates traffic and profit. Substantive LSAT material is an especially valuable commodity, especially considering that the traffic volume on this site peaks dramatically around LSAT administrations and score releases. I suppose it's a bit more indirect than I made it sound, but yes the owner of the site profits from discussion of the LSAT, and would profit more if people were allowed to assemble substantive material here.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 am

bigben wrote:Do you know how the internet works? This is a for-profit site that makes money from advertising. Mostly all of the content is created free of charge by the users, and that content is what generates traffic and profit. Substantive LSAT material is an especially valuable commodity, especially considering that the traffic volume on this site peaks dramatically around LSAT administrations and score releases. I suppose it's a bit more indirect than I made it sound, but yes the owner of the site profits from discussion of the LSAT, and would profit more if people were allowed to assemble substantive material here.

Do you see any advertising on this forum, genius?

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am

Lxw wrote:
bigben wrote:Do you know how the internet works? This is a for-profit site that makes money from advertising. Mostly all of the content is created free of charge by the users, and that content is what generates traffic and profit. Substantive LSAT material is an especially valuable commodity, especially considering that the traffic volume on this site peaks dramatically around LSAT administrations and score releases. I suppose it's a bit more indirect than I made it sound, but yes the owner of the site profits from discussion of the LSAT, and would profit more if people were allowed to assemble substantive material here.

Do you see any advertising on this forum, genius?


Yeah dood. http://www.top-law-schools.com/profiles.html

He keeps it to a minimum most of the time (classy) but it's around. There used to be more ads.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Also, if you can point me to these magical money generating ads, that would be awesome.

Ken wrote:34 yo wm looking for wf for fun. no m4m. must be drug/std free. your pic gets mine.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:49 am

bigben wrote:
Lxw wrote:
bigben wrote:Do you know how the internet works? This is a for-profit site that makes money from advertising. Mostly all of the content is created free of charge by the users, and that content is what generates traffic and profit. Substantive LSAT material is an especially valuable commodity, especially considering that the traffic volume on this site peaks dramatically around LSAT administrations and score releases. I suppose it's a bit more indirect than I made it sound, but yes the owner of the site profits from discussion of the LSAT, and would profit more if people were allowed to assemble substantive material here.

Do you see any advertising on this forum, genius?


Yeah dood. http://www.top-law-schools.com/profiles.html

He keeps it to a minimum most of the time (classy) but it's around. There used to be more ads.


Yea so for Ken to get money from online ads, people actually have to be able to see them, you realize this right? No ads on this forum means forum traffic generates no direct revenue. All Ken could do is cite forum traffic for site popularity, but I doubt GoogleAds is dumb.

Those ads don't even show on the homepage.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

Lxw wrote:
bigben wrote:
Lxw wrote:
bigben wrote:Do you know how the internet works? This is a for-profit site that makes money from advertising. Mostly all of the content is created free of charge by the users, and that content is what generates traffic and profit. Substantive LSAT material is an especially valuable commodity, especially considering that the traffic volume on this site peaks dramatically around LSAT administrations and score releases. I suppose it's a bit more indirect than I made it sound, but yes the owner of the site profits from discussion of the LSAT, and would profit more if people were allowed to assemble substantive material here.

Do you see any advertising on this forum, genius?


Yeah dood. http://www.top-law-schools.com/profiles.html

He keeps it to a minimum most of the time (classy) but it's around. There used to be more ads.


Yea so for Ken to get money from online ads, people actually have to be able to see them, you realize this right? No ads on this forum means forum traffic generates no direct revenue. All Ken could do is cite forum traffic for site popularity, but I doubt GoogleAds is dumb.

Those ads don't even show on the homepage.


Forum threads and other pages on this site do very well in Google search results because of the massive amounts of traffic on this site (it has done very well and basically taken over the market). Also, people that are initially attracted by the forum inevitably check out the other pages as well. Finally, there definitely used to be ads on the forum pages, and there always could be more in the future.

Anyway, the point is that this is probably the legal ground that LSAC stands on when it writes threatening letters to Ken that get him all in a tizzy. There is also the fact that Ken is out there in the public eye with a business and a reputation to maintain.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 am

Wait a second, DUH, what was I thinking...log out of your account for a second and then look....there are banner ads on the top and bottom of every forum page...

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:20 am

if ken makes any money from this site it is peanuts.. the only ad ive ever seen on here is testmasters and it is by no means intrusive. the traffic, while impressive for a site dedicated to a bunch of law school nerds, is not the type that advertisers kill for. Also, I would say whatever he makes is quid pro quo for the time he/the mods put/puts in.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 pm

DCD wrote:if ken makes any money from this site it is peanuts.. the only ad ive ever seen on here is testmasters and it is by no means intrusive. the traffic, while impressive for a site dedicated to a bunch of law school nerds, is not the type that advertisers kill for. Also, I would say whatever he makes is quid pro quo for the time he/the mods put/puts in.


As I said, there are ads on the top and bottom of every page when you are not logged in. It is irrelevant how much Ken makes though, the point is that this is probably the reason that LSAC can enforce their copyright against him.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Yet ANOTHER (necessary) reminder to STOP POSTING ABOUT ???

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:29 pm

bigben wrote:
DCD wrote:if ken makes any money from this site it is peanuts.. the only ad ive ever seen on here is testmasters and it is by no means intrusive. the traffic, while impressive for a site dedicated to a bunch of law school nerds, is not the type that advertisers kill for. Also, I would say whatever he makes is quid pro quo for the time he/the mods put/puts in.


As I said, there are ads on the top and bottom of every page when you are not logged in. It is irrelevant how much Ken makes though, the point is that this is probably the reason that LSAC can enforce their copyright against him.

I just logged out, I didn't see any ads. Stop lying.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde and 8 guests