LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Pirveli
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby Pirveli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I am planning to take PowerScore virtual prep course.
I can not take an actual classes since they start at 6PM and I work that time.
Has anyone taken virtual courses? I was wondering how good or useful it is?

Thanks

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby oneforship » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Pirveli wrote:Hi everyone,
I am planning to take PowerScore virtual prep course.
I can not take an actual classes since they start at 6PM and I work that time.
Has anyone taken virtual courses? I was wondering how good or useful it is?

Thanks



I thought about it, but decided to just focus and study on my own. I think if you have enough self-discipline to stick to a solid study plan, you can do it on your own for a little less money.

[EDIT] The course is probably helpful if you want a little more explanation than what you might get from the book, but you can get virtual help for any questions you have on your own from this website that is equally helpful, and it's FREE!

Pirveli
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby Pirveli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks,
appreciate your suggestion.
I thought the same thing but was not too sure.

User avatar
dkelch317
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby dkelch317 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:42 pm

I took the course and think it was worth it for various reasons. They give you great study tips and strategies for each of the different question types you will encounter on the test. Also, you get a lot of great practice materials and examples for each of the questions types - that you are forced to work out on your own time - like homework. These practice questions and examples are really the best thing beside practice tests that you can do.

It is expensive, but think in the long term. I only had a month to study for the June LSAT and the course helped me raise my score from 157 cold to 164 the day of.

At Pitt Law this equaled $14,000 a year if I go there
At Richmond it equaled at least $15,000, maybe $25,000 a year.
At Temple = $12,000
At Penn State = $15,000

markl321
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 am

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby markl321 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I signed up for the class a few weeks ago because I was worried I might not be able to concentrate enough doing it on my own. Since than I started studying on my own with the powerscore books and taking practice tests as I was worried I would not be able to improve to my goals if I didn't do the extra effort. Long story short I found I was wrong with not being able to study on my own and have improved my score by 10 points in the last 2 weeks (147 to 157). When trying to decide if I had wasted my money I came to the conclusion that the class will still be beneficial to me, even if it goes over more basic material than I would like it to. While I am reviewing more basic concepts with the class, I will work on more advanced material on my own and will not need to worry about becoming a little rough with the easier stuff. Also I figure any questions I still might have I will be able to ask as well as getting more complete explanations on setups of games than I can get from the bibles alone. As was mentioned too, the amount spent will surely be worth it in the amount you can potentially save in scholarships. So I figure the class is just a little extra reassurance that I will an outlet for help and have more options for practice.

Pirveli
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby Pirveli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Did you guys go to actual class or took virtual course?
I was wondering how virtual course works. Is it live action or recorded?
Can you ask a question to instructor or not? I can not attend the classes since most of them start at 6PM and I am at work that time. I was thinking signing up for virtual course and take the classes online. Is it how it works?
Thanks.

User avatar
dkelch317
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby dkelch317 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Pirveli wrote:Did you guys go to actual class or took virtual course?
I was wondering how virtual course works. Is it live action or recorded?
Can you ask a question to instructor or not? I can not attend the classes since most of them start at 6PM and I am at work that time. I was thinking signing up for virtual course and take the classes online. Is it how it works?
Thanks.


It is live action. You go to an interactive Whiteboard classroom from your home computer or wherever while the instructor gives live presentation. You can ask questions anytime you want. If you can't make the actual class session while it is live - although I think that would be marginally detrimental - they backlog a taped version on the Powerscore website that you can access at anytime.

tj1320
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby tj1320 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 pm

markl321 wrote:I signed up for the class a few weeks ago because I was worried I might not be able to concentrate enough doing it on my own. Since than I started studying on my own with the powerscore books and taking practice tests as I was worried I would not be able to improve to my goals if I didn't do the extra effort. Long story short I found I was wrong with not being able to study on my own and have improved my score by 10 points in the last 2 weeks (147 to 157). When trying to decide if I had wasted my money I came to the conclusion that the class will still be beneficial to me, even if it goes over more basic material than I would like it to. While I am reviewing more basic concepts with the class, I will work on more advanced material on my own and will not need to worry about becoming a little rough with the easier stuff. Also I figure any questions I still might have I will be able to ask as well as getting more complete explanations on setups of games than I can get from the bibles alone. As was mentioned too, the amount spent will surely be worth it in the amount you can potentially save in scholarships. So I figure the class is just a little extra reassurance that I will an outlet for help and have more options for practice.


That makes me feel a lot better. I scored a 140 on the 12/08 test and a 144 on a practice test (February 1993, #7) I recently took on 3/31 so I am encouraged by your increase in performance. If I can get around a 157 I will be good to go with my GPA. I'm enrolled in the 5/5 - 6/4 virtual online class but I will be studying the bibles on my own prior to 5/5.

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 am

I'm also considering to either take this virtual course or study on my own. Just wondering how are the course materials different from the Powerscore Bibles and which ones are better? Why don't they use the same publications for the course?
and how long does it take usually to finish this course? (I plan to spend about 3-4 months)

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby albanach » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 am

If at all possible, take a course that finishes several weeks before your test date.

You'll master the concepts through the course, but will want to spend a few weeks doing daily PTs if at all possible.

Otherwise, you're doing PTs while still learning the concepts, as the course progresses and don't have time at the end to internalize the techniques in a test setting.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 am

36 live hours is awfully short for an LSAT course.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: LSAT PowerScore Virtual Course

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:43 pm

I signed up for this started March 30 and ended May 25th. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Edit: Where can I find out the dates/ times of each individual session?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace, cianchetta0, dontsaywhatyoumean, grandpapy360, gwillygecko, Pozzo and 13 guests