Knewton LSAT course?

natalierharris

Knewton LSAT course?

Postby natalierharris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Has anyone tried the Knewton LSAT course? Our pre-law club got an email with an offer for the course. I hadn't heard of them before, but signed up for a free trial they have and the course is entirely online. Not sure about any methods or how that compares to TestMasters which I was thinking of taking this summer, but they do have every LSAT question online which seems to be something new. It looks like these classes for the June test are the first they've run, but does anyone know anything more about them?

natalierharris

Re: Knewton LSAT course?

Postby natalierharris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Very true, but that's what's hard to tell: everything there looks great, or should I say sounds great, though GMAT is their main product so far. I've signed up for a live LSAT & admissions seminar coming up with their trial, so perhaps I'll get a better view of things and then post back more info.

Nice link though, I'd imagine $99 you get what you pay for.... can't imagine how many students signed up for him, but not much pity for those who did!

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Glamour wrote:
natalierharris wrote:Has anyone tried the Knewton LSAT course? Our pre-law club got an email with an offer for the course. I hadn't heard of them before, but signed up for a free trial they have and the course is entirely online. Not sure about any methods or how that compares to TestMasters which I was thinking of taking this summer, but they do have every LSAT question online which seems to be something new. It looks like these classes for the June test are the first they've run, but does anyone know anything more about them?

I don't. But some online courses can be bad like this guy:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53940&hilit=harvard+scam
A lot of its been deleted and it's locked, but you can make out some of the guy's insanity...

Hahahaha ohhhh Hong Lin...good times.

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Sounds as good as any other course to me.

Ken

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 am

Knewton LSAT course appears to be quite good as I have heard good things about their GMAT classes. Definitely not to be put in the same boat as our friend Hong Lin.

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:38 pm

I am bringing this post from the dead....anyways, anyone taken their course? I kinda want to take it due to the 5+ money back guarantee but I don't know if there's some catch to this guarantee since it sounds too good to be true.

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:36 am

I'd like to know this too! It looks really good from the website and definitely cheaper.
Also, general thoughts on online courses?

joliver

Postby joliver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:55 am

I hate to be the jerk but I've never understood why pepole would take a prepcourse for the LSAT to begin with.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I took Knewton for my GMAT program and definitely recommend it. However, LSAT is still a paper-based test so I'd be apprehensive when choosing it since literally everything is online. I was apprehensive and went with a different program, but it would be nice to get a detailed account of what the reaction is to Knewton's program.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:02 pm

joliver wrote:I hate to be the jerk but I've never understood why pepole would take a prepcourse for the LSAT to begin with.

Some ppl are just not as smart as you i guess.............

joliver

Postby joliver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:07 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
joliver wrote:I hate to be the jerk but I've never understood why pepole would take a prepcourse for the LSAT to begin with.

It's difficult to explain without sounding arrogant. With the exception of the logic games, the LSAT, from my understanding, is just a method of thought. Leave no holes in your thinking and you pretty much can't go wrong. What's the problem here? I'm seriously not trying to be a dick. I'm really trying to understand why people have such difficulties. No cynicism, no sarcasm, nothing.

ecofreak

Postby ecofreak » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:35 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:I took Knewton for my GMAT program and definitely recommend it. However, LSAT is still a paper-based test so I'd be apprehensive when choosing it since literally everything is online. I was apprehensive and went with a different program, but it would be nice to get a detailed account of what the reaction is to Knewton's program.

I was apprehensive about that too but now it looks like now they let you print off the materials and input your answers, if that changes anything.

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 pm

but how does their guarantee work? So if I got a 170 and want to retake, do they promise me 175+?
I mean, taking a prepcourse at 170 isn't necessary, but if it basically is a free course, why not? If the guarantee works like that, I am definitely taking their class...but is there a catch? 5+ sounds way too good to be true.

randyn

Postby randyn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 pm

joliver wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:

It's difficult to explain without sounding arrogant. With the exception of the logic games, the LSAT, from my understanding, is just a method of thought. Leave no holes in your thinking and you pretty much can't go wrong. What's the problem here? I'm seriously not trying to be a dick. I'm really trying to understand why people have such difficulties. No cynicism, no sarcasm, nothing.

you don't sound arrogant, just uninformed.

joliver

Postby joliver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:27 pm

randyn wrote:
joliver wrote:

Heavens to betsy I thought I had taken and scored well on this exam already, but who knew I was actually uninformed.

randyn

Postby randyn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 pm

joliver wrote:
randyn wrote:
joliver wrote:

Heavens to betsy I thought I had taken and scored well on this exam already, but who knew I was actually uninformed.

you are correct, your circumstance embodies those of all LSAT test takers.

joliver

Postby joliver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm

randyn wrote:
you are correct, your circumstance embodies those of all LSAT test takers.

I'm the original, they just caught on to what was good.

jason8821

Postby jason8821 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:14 am

back to the OP's question, has anyone had any luck with this course?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Good god, I just looked at their comparison chart and saw how few course hours they actually have. I worry about any LSAT course that's under 50 hours, frankly, and theirs is 36. Now, that's not to say that it's ineffective, but some people may find that they just don't get enough instruction. Our (Princeton Review's) LiveOnline is 55 hours, and my impression is that we just barely finish everything that needs to be talked about in that time.

But heck, it looks as though most online courses other than ours are that short, so who knows.

jason8821

Postby jason8821 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

tomwatts wrote:Good god, I just looked at their comparison chart and saw how few course hours they actually have. I worry about any LSAT course that's under 50 hours, frankly, and theirs is 36. Now, that's not to say that it's ineffective, but some people may find that they just don't get enough instruction. Our (Princeton Review's) LiveOnline is 55 hours, and my impression is that we just barely finish everything that needs to be talked about in that time.

But heck, it looks as though most online courses other than ours are that short, so who knows.

That sucks, It was the only course I thought i could afford right now. Despite the money back guarantee, there is no point in adding useless study time when I am feeling burnt out.

Knewton_Jose

Postby Knewton_Jose » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for your collective interest in Knewton.

I'd like to take a few minutes and explain why we strongly believe that we are offering students a far superior LSAT prep option.

1) We have the best teachers. Other companies hire unproven instructors in strip malls across the country. We've hired a handful of the best teachers in America, and stream them via the internet. We also pay them 5x what other companies pay their teachers.

2) We have the best research. The man who literally created the first algorithm and system for the current LSAT, David Kuntz, is our VP of Research.

3) We have the best technology. Our adaptive learning engine gathers data on exactly what students do and do not need to work on -- down to the atomic concept level. We are then able to address each student's unique needs.

4) We give students the most access. If you sign up with Knewton we give you access to the system for an entire year. Kaplan gives you 10 weeks.

5) More personal attention. On top of our adaptive learning engine, which personalizes education in ways once thought impossible, our dedicated staff of Master Teachers is here to answer all of your questions and offer hours of free tutoring.

6) We offer the best money-back guarantee. At least a 5-pt score jump, or all your money back. No one else even comes close to such an offer.

7) We are the most convenient. We put students in the driver's seat of their own preparation. Need to miss a class for work? Don't feel like paying for gas? Want to watch a certain class twice? All of our courses are available on demand. You create the schedule that works for you.

And most importantly...

8) The best price. You can get the Knewton LSAT course for only $690. That's half the price of what Kaplan and TPR charge -- and we give you the best teachers, the best technology, and the best money-back guarantee.

I hope this clears up questions about what we do.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Jose
Last edited by Knewton_Jose on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Knewton_Jose wrote:Thanks for your collective interest in Knewton.

I'd like to take a few minutes and explain why we strongly believe that we are offering students a far superior LSAT prep option.

1) We have the best teachers. Other companies hire unproven instructors in strip malls across the country. We've hired the best 8 teachers in America, and stream them via the internet. We also pay them 5x what other companies pay their teachers.

2) We have the best research. The man who literally created the first algorithm and system for the current LSAT, David Kuntz, is our VP of Research.

3) We have the best technology. Our adaptive learning engine gathers data on exactly what students do and do not need to work on -- down to the atomic concept level. We are then able to address each student's unique needs.

4) We give students the most access. If you sign up with Knewton we give you access to the system for an entire year. Kaplan gives you 10 weeks.

5) More personal attention. On top of our adaptive learning engine, which personalizes education in ways once thought impossible, our dedicated staff of Master Teachers is here to answer all of your questions and offer hours of free tutoring.

6) We offer the best money-back guarantee. At least a 5-pt score jump, or all your money back. No one else even comes close to such an offer.

7) We are the most convenient. We put students in the driver's seat of their own preparation. Need to miss a class for work? Don't feel like paying for gas? Want to watch a certain class twice? All of our courses are available on demand. You create the schedule that works for you.

And most importantly...

8) The best price. You can get the Knewton LSAT course for only $690. That's half the price of what Kaplan and TPR charge -- and we give you the best teachers, the best technology, and the best money-back guarantee.

Cheers,
Jose

Personalized Prep, right Jose? As in copy / paste explanations. I hope you treat your customers better than you treat this forum.

skip james

Postby skip james » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm

typ3 wrote:
Knewton_Jose wrote:Thanks for your collective interest in Knewton.

1) We have the best teachers. Other companies hire unproven instructors in strip malls across the country. We've hired the best 8 teachers in America, and stream them via the internet. We also pay them 5x what other companies pay their teachers.

And most importantly...

Cheers,
Jose

Personalized Prep, right Jose? As in copy / paste explanations. I hope you treat your customers better than you treat this forum.

ahahaha.. busted.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”