accomodated testing time, extra time on LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
debo

New

accomodated testing time, extra time on LSAT?

Post by debo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:55 pm

How much extra time does LSAC give to test-takers for certain learning disabilities, such as dyslexia or ADD/ADHD?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Re: accomodated testing time, extra time on LSAT?

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:56 pm

doesn't matter, don't do it, giant red flag on your score

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 pm

ill give you a cookie if you convince them to give you extra time for ADD

its tough to get them to accomodate anything, and probably impossible to get them to give you extra time for ADD/ADHD

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm

lsatbobby wrote:ill give you a cookie if you convince them to give you extra time for ADD

its tough to get them to accomodate anything, and probably impossible to get them to give you extra time for ADD/ADHD
That's good news and I hope you're right. I thought basically anyone that has been diagnosed with ADD could get extra time....

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:28 pm

since everyone and there brother can get diagnosed with add, they just choose to not give it to anyone

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:38 pm

You are a unique and delicate flower and deserve all possible accommodations to ensure your long-term happiness.

staplegunsarefun

New

Post by staplegunsarefun » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Just curious, but what about TBI or PTSD? Both diagnoses involve significant attention components. Is LSAT as unforgiving in these cases?

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 pm

dyslexia I think would merit extra time if documented-- I luckily do not have this, but since I was raised by a dyslexic I think it would be extremely fair to allow extra time without penalty. That said, my dyslexic parent took the lsat and rocked it- so study and you might be okay if you set aside time to triple check your bubbled answers (this is the part that can kill if you're number sensitive). Good luck!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Just break your writing arm the week before the test. This worked for a friend and she pulled a 175 untimed (or REALLY stretched out).

She did not do it on purpose, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sporkdevil

New

Post by sporkdevil » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:52 am

:: immediately bashes arm repeatedly with a bat ::

psychlaw

New

Post by psychlaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 am

I just submitted to get testing accommodations for the LSAT and I received extra time and breaks on the GRE. I think those that believe that ADD is not a big enough disorder to deserve such accommodations or think that anyone can be diagnosed with the disorder is ignorant and moronic. If you actually knew what one would have to go through to get accommodations, medication, or just a diagnosis you would keep your mouth shut. Also it is not a red flag to get extra time on any standardized test and it is also illegal for any school to even think about not taking a person just because they received accommodations. Geez I thought yall were applying to law school?

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 am

psychlaw wrote:I just submitted to get testing accommodations for the LSAT and I received extra time and breaks on the GRE. I think those that believe that ADD is not a big enough disorder to deserve such accommodations or think that anyone can be diagnosed with the disorder is ignorant and moronic. If you actually knew what one would have to go through to get accommodations, medication, or just a diagnosis you would keep your mouth shut. Also it is not a red flag to get extra time on any standardized test and it is also illegal for any school to even think about not taking a person just because they received accommodations. Geez I thought yall were applying to law school?

The reason people get pissed off about accommodated testing is because ADD is over diagnosed BIG TIME.

Also, a lot of people view people that get accommodated testing as people who can't do well on tests and thus blame it on a disorder when in reality they just aren't good at taking tests.

Note OP: I'm not at all trying to say that you personally don't legitimately have a learning disability.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 am

Too many know-it-alls dispelling wisdom all over the place with short confident posts....its almost fascinating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

citrustang

New

Post by citrustang » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:54 am

SplitterPride wrote:Too many know-it-alls dispelling wisdom all over the place with short confident posts....its almost fascinating.
You're wrong. 8)

sse126

New

Post by sse126 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:55 am

I got extended time for ADHD. I was diagnosed at the age of 5 as one of the first documented cases at that age. I was then studied and monitored from the age of five till this previous year at twenty-two. The head researcher wrote my letter and retested me since it had been over 3 years, and I was denied the first time. After, one of my doctors sent copies of some of the files from when I was younger along with articles he had written on me, they then gave me extended time.

maebysurely

New

Post by maebysurely » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:07 am

I have ADD, diagnosed in middle school, went to therapy and meds through high school and college. But then I turned 25 and got kicked off my dad's insurance, and went off meds and therapy. So guess what? LSAC thinks I don't have ADD anymore.

I don't know if there's a red flag or not. But I would take it in heart beat. Seriously. If more time meant I could finish all four RC sections (yes, lame I can only do 3 on the newer tests. I suck.) I would be in the 170s!

I'm not a know it all or anything, I really don't have any valid reason to say this, so take it with a MASSIVE grain of salt: But I think that law schools all look out for their rankings more than anything else. And LSATs have a big factor in that. And red flags are not reported to USNews. And so I would say, Honestly, if they give you extra time, consider yourself very, very lucky and don't even bother about the red flag.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:24 am

MTal wrote:You are a unique and delicate flower and deserve all possible accommodations to ensure your long-term happiness.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 am

Completely unrelated, but what's the most painless way to break an arm?

Also unrelated, how hard would it be for me to convince them that my right arm was my dominant one?

Foch

New

Post by Foch » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:07 am

muddywaters wrote:Just break your writing arm the week before the test. This worked for a friend and she pulled a 175 untimed (or REALLY stretched out).
Now you tell us.

IBThatGuy

New

Re: Dyslexia, dysgraphia, extra time on LSAT?

Post by IBThatGuy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 pm

debo wrote:How much extra time does LSAC give to test-takers for certain learning disabilities, such as dyslexia or ADD/ADHD?
I see that a ton of these threads have been started and carried a little while, with not a single one (that I can find) actually describing the OP's results. I've got ADHD-PI (what was once known as ADD). I suppose that could affect my score, but I'm not sure, so that isn't my concern. I can only speak for myself, but I can see it possibly justifying a quiet room, but not likely extended time.

I do also have dysgraphia. It gives me trouble writing. This is mainly a problem on the AR portion and, of course, the writing sample (not interested in opinions on whether or not that matters). I'm wondering about my shot at getting extended time - mainly on those two sections (though I don't know if they apply it selectively).

I realize that already having a good score on record would hurt your chances, since people simply won't get it. For those haven't already taken it, though, and who were diagnosed dyslexic or dysgraphic at an early age, did you receive extra time? People might not get dysgraphia, either, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't generally accommodate for dyslexia.

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:12 pm

MTal wrote:You are a unique and delicate flower and deserve all possible accommodations to ensure your long-term happiness.
Hahahahaha, that couldnt possibly be laced with any sarcasm could it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Also, I meant to ask: Is anyone clear on precisely what schools know about the accommodations? Do they know:
1. the nature (time, separate room, insulin pump, low desk)?
2. the extent (5 minutes or 35 minutes)?
3. the reason (broken arm, dyslexia, wheelchair)?

EDIT: Missed this the first time around:
Candidates who seek additional test time on scored sections of the test should pay particular attention to the following:
* If you receive additional test time as an accommodation for your condition, LSAC will send a statement with your Credential Assembly Service (LSDAS) or LSAT Law School Reports advising that your score(s) should be interpreted with great sensitivity and flexibility.
* Scores earned with additional test time are reported individually and will not be averaged with standard-time scores or other nonstandard-time scores.
* Percentile ranks of nonstandard-time scores are not available and will not be reported.
It probably doesn't matter that the percentile isn't reported - right? First, any given school probably gets applications with a broad range of scores, so they see the percentile. Second, the percentiles vary only slightly between administrations; adcomms might just want to know the score itself and already have an impression of its significance.
Last edited by IBThatGuy on Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:14 pm

psychlaw wrote:I just submitted to get testing accommodations for the LSAT and I received extra time and breaks on the GRE. I think those that believe that ADD is not a big enough disorder to deserve such accommodations or think that anyone can be diagnosed with the disorder is ignorant and moronic. If you actually knew what one would have to go through to get accommodations, medication, or just a diagnosis you would keep your mouth shut. Also it is not a red flag to get extra time on any standardized test and it is also illegal for any school to even think about not taking a person just because they received accommodations. Geez I thought yall were applying to law school?

This.

For everyone doubting, see the ADA. The Americans with Disabiity Act Amendemnt Act of 2008 (ADAAA) substantially broadened ADA to the point where a documented ADD/ADHD case would almost certainly be considered a disability. http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/ada.cfm

Like the above poster said... You really think institutions that openly practice affirmative action would even consider any sort of ding for accomodating a disability?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:25 pm

My friend got extra time due to well documented learning disabilities. He got time and a half for each section (55minutes)

The school sees your raw score, but aren't given a percentile rank. Thats all. No giant red flag for cheater or something. Unless this is HYS, i doub't the school cares at all, because once again, they just report the score to USNWR, and a 170+ from someone with extra time is still worth more than any 16x score from a regular taker.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 pm

MTal recently passed the Series 7. Although Will Smith also passed while homeless, broke and supporting a child, MTal still chooses to pound his chest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”