Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:57 pm

EDIT: readingcomprehensionpwned


kritiosboy wrote:That figure ($57,000) is absolutely useless.

Read up on bimodal distribution: http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_le ... on-of.html



That's the class of 2006. Here's 2007:

http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_le ... 007-s.html

It's funny because in the 2006 post the author says "A more dramatic bimodal distribution you will not find." Then the 2007 post is called "A more dramatic bimodal distribution," or something like that.
Last edited by bigben on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby typodragon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 pm

I like that I can be both a troll and correct at the same time.

User avatar
JuryDueT1000
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:57 pm

BigBen, it's funny that you think Rule11 is my troll, especially when he or she is being sarcastic and trying to make me look stupid.

no brains.

hayman
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby hayman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm

i like your 'tar

jr494949
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby jr494949 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm

ChrisMike624 wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:
I'm not, I felt the need to say something because you looked like an idiot responding to it as if he was serious. hth.


Sweet, so your my bitch then. Good looking out bitch.


"You're"

User avatar
JPeavy44
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby JPeavy44 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
applejuice wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Depends on:

a) the kind of school you went to

b) the kind of law you practice

UCLA/USC median is 135k for instance, and stanford's is 160k, and higher for those entering private law firms.


I agree ! My roommate goes to GWU and works at a Private firm and her offer was a tad more than market value, our same friend goes to Howard Law and she is working for the government for $70k...

All of the friends that I have that are at T20's, that went to Private firms got market value offers (160k)...check out http://www.vault.com

My roommate actually got into Boalt but decided to go to GWU b/c @ the time they were 2nd for IP. She did the evening program and clerked at a firm in the day time, so they ended up bringing her in as a 3rd yr associate, and they offered her like 185k....something to think about for those that are considering schools in D.C.


Yeah, I know several people who went to Santa Clara and ended up with 180k+ starting salaries doing IP law in the bay area.


That's encouraging :D

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 pm

JPeavy44 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
Yeah, I know several people who went to Santa Clara and ended up with 180k+ starting salaries doing IP law in the bay area.


That's encouraging :D


Yeah, IP is a whole different ball game at the moment. If you're an engineer or whatever, that's great. You can get biglaw easily even from a T3 or something. Of course, you have to stop being an engineer and go to law school for three years...

amyLAchemist
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby amyLAchemist » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm

bigben wrote:
JPeavy44 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
Yeah, I know several people who went to Santa Clara and ended up with 180k+ starting salaries doing IP law in the bay area.


That's encouraging :D


Yeah, IP is a whole different ball game at the moment. If you're an engineer or whatever, that's great. You can get biglaw easily even from a T3 or something. Of course, you have to stop being an engineer and go to law school for three years...


Yeah, I am assuming you mean T30.... ;) Yeah, that is true that law school takes time away from being a scientist, but I don't mind taking the 3 years. It's really worth it in the long run.....

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:15 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
bigben wrote:
JPeavy44 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
Yeah, I know several people who went to Santa Clara and ended up with 180k+ starting salaries doing IP law in the bay area.


That's encouraging :D


Yeah, IP is a whole different ball game at the moment. If you're an engineer or whatever, that's great. You can get biglaw easily even from a T3 or something. Of course, you have to stop being an engineer and go to law school for three years...


Yeah, I am assuming you mean T30.... ;) Yeah, that is true that law school takes time away from being a scientist, but I don't mind taking the 3 years. It's really worth it in the long run.....


No, I meant Tier 3. The supply of IP lawyers is that short, from what I have heard.

As far as the 3 years thing, I was just talking about a financial standpoint. If you go from being an engineer to being a lawyer, it's nice that you can get biglaw more easily, but on the other hand you have 3 years of salary, 3 years of tuition costs, lost opportunities at advancement, and the fact that you're starting back at the bottom rung in your field. On the other other hand, maybe there are science degrees other than engineering that qualify you for IP law but aren't worth anything in the job market on their own? I don't know.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby typodragon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 pm

i'm pretty sure the credentials snobbery doesn't go away with IP. it just transfers onto the quality of your science background. having a B.S.+M.S. in Electrical Engineering from UCLA is probably pretty gold. having a B.S. in physics with mediocre grades from some no name school isn't.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 pm

typodragon wrote:i'm pretty sure the credentials snobbery doesn't go away with IP. it just transfers onto the quality of your science background. having a B.S.+M.S. in Electrical Engineering from UCLA is probably pretty gold. having a B.S. in physics with mediocre grades from some no name school isn't.


OK, that makes sense. Except isn't the 'credentials snobbery' less about what school you went to and more about your field/degree/expertise/work experience in the field? If you have worked as an engineer, I'm pretty sure you get that 'IP bump' regardless of your school.

User avatar
JPeavy44
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Can this be true? Median starting salary for lawyers

Postby JPeavy44 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Is a background in engineering or science a must in order to do IP?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Alexandros, AOT, cherrygalore, cianchetta0, clueless801, etramak, jdanz, Pozzo, Roddy618, StopLawying, t-14orbust, Tazewell, tinyvessels and 13 guests