problem with concentration and progressing Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Phil99

New

problem with concentration and progressing

Post by Phil99 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi all,
I really dont understand a lot of material thats being taught in lsat prep books. I have powerscore 2016 book both logical reasoning and logical games , i dont have the RC because i thought i can study it through practice tests..but i honestly have problem comprehending lots of material. Currently im studying the Logical Games book , there are practice tests related to to each chapter i study but i can barely answer those questions, as if i didnt read the chapter... DO you guys have any suggestions tips for me to get through this without this level of difficulty, like is there other material that you might have and can share with me that helps me get logical games section? i dont understand if my english is weak or the material thats in the book is explained in different fashion that its hard for me to understand. i also was told that for people like me that takes lots of time to answer the questions have the option to write the test in longer timed tests , is there such a thing? if so how can i request lsac to provide me that extra time for writing the test and how much extra time do i get?

IntellectualMode

New

Re: problem with concentration and progressing

Post by IntellectualMode » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:25 am

Hi Phil, I hope you're well.
The LSAT, as I'm sure you're aware, is a particular challenge for a lot of prospective law students, you're definitely in the same boat as a lot of people, including myself.

With the Powerscore books, I'd highly recommend taking a more active reading approach.
What I mean by that is that you individually need to break down part-by-part what each section is covering, and then once you've got to grips with that, you can start doing those practices for that particular section.

When you break down the text, I'd recommend trying to personalise it for yourself to make it something easier for you to understand.

For instance, you may've heard of conditional reasoning. If you wanted to understand conditional reasoning better, you can create a real life example of your own of both a sufficient and a necessary condition.
From that, you should be able to draw out the contrapositive as well as the mistakes of mistaken reversal and mistaken negation.
When you recognise these, it should begin to make sense as to how this part of logic makes sense, and then how within a LG scenario you can use these rules to your advantage.

When you go to the questions that test a particular skill and you get some wrong. It is extremely important that you take the time to self-analyse why your answer was wrong, what made you pick your answer and understanding why the other answer was correct.
This is not easy stuff and it can be quite stressful, but if you're serious about the LSAT you put in the time and work that is required and eventually, as the mind recognises and accounts for deficits, you will get better.

As for extra time, LSAC do offer accommodations for students with particular needs but this is something that you have to specifically request for, plus you may be required to provide evidence.
If you google "LSAT Extra Time", the relevant page should come up.

Hopefully this has been somewhat helpful but lmk if there's anything else you'd like to know :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”