How to review LR? +LG question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Donna29

New

How to review LR? +LG question

Post by Donna29 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Hello TLS,

I have a question about how to review LR section efficiently + a question on LG. I currently get 6-7 or if terrible 10 questions wrong in timed LR section. So I'm working on mastering the question types and do some timed section drills.

I have two questions on reviewing LR.
First, I made a review routine and would like to know if there are any adjustments to make.
1. Do the section timed
2. Do the section again before scoring (7 sage blind review)
3. Do the section third time without scoring (Not sure if I should do this or not. I heard from someone that when learning something reviewing three times is the best, but I'm not sure if that applies to LR drill)
4. Finally, score the section.
5. Review the wrong answers and the questions that I was not 100% sure.

Second, when reviewing the wrong and uncertain problems, apart from digging out why the wrong answers are wrong and correct answers are correct, what is the best way to organize them and redoing them?
I see some people on tls recommending that I should write out the problems, some people cut out the problems, or some just record it somewhere and come back. I tried writing out the problems but because I have so many to write and review (full-time studying), my wrist and shoulder seriously hurt by the end of the day. Could you please share how you treat these questions in detail? For example, if you are cutting it out, what if you got the two questions wrong on the front and back page?

Lastly, a question on the LG section. I started TLS fairly late and didn't do much research when I jumped into this exam. So I started it with Kaplan LSAT book. After that, I finished the Trainer. + Now I watch 7 sage LG videos on youtube. But now that I've read through the LSAT 175+ strategies, many of them recommend Powerscore Logic Game Bible. So I am debating if I should get the book.
Here is my LG stat :
-1 or -2 per section usually due to stupid mistakes.
medium difficulty questions 10-13min
Straight questions 5-6min
Unusual, hard questions 15-17min.

My honest feeling is that I feel okay with the methods I am using and I should just stick to what I am doing and hone my method for more efficiency (and do more questions), but because so many high scorers recommend the bible, I am beginning to wonder if I get it I'll do much better. (Is this flawed by overvaluing experts' opinion?). I have two months to November test so I don't have too much time. Should I pick up the bible or just stick to what I've been doing?

zoehr

New

Re: How to review LR? +LG question

Post by zoehr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Doing one LR section 3 times sounds way too excessive. Do it once, if you feel like the 7sage blind review helps, then do it again. I personally think you’d be much better off doing another section from a different test then doing the same one three times. In my case, what helped me was knowing the questions types by heart, and knowing what made a wrong answer wrong and a right answer right for each question type. I used powerscore for this. Keep track of what questions types you’re getting wrong, why you’re getting them wrong, then practice them. I used the Fox LR encyclopedia for this...over 550 logical reasoning questions, all divided by question type and difficulty.

It’s a balance of taking enough practice sections and spending time reviewing the ones you got wrong. Don’t spend forever reviewing wrong answers, trying to figure out exactly what you did wrong, and how you’ll never do it again. It’s a waste and you’ll go nuts. Obviously review your answers, understand why the right answer is right, and keep track of what you’re missing. But don’t torture yourself doing the same section 3 times over...your time is better spent doing new sections. It’ll also be easier this way to see a more general pattern of the mistakes you are making and how to correct them.

As for the LG, if you’re only missing 1 or 2 a section because of silly mistakes, I’d for sure spend time fixing those silly mistakes then learning a whole new method. Sounds like what your doing is working for you.

Donna29

New

Re: How to review LR? +LG question

Post by Donna29 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:33 pm

zoehr wrote:Doing one LR section 3 times sounds way too excessive. Do it once, if you feel like the 7sage blind review helps, then do it again. I personally think you’d be much better off doing another section from a different test then doing the same one three times. In my case, what helped me was knowing the questions types by heart, and knowing what made a wrong answer wrong and a right answer right for each question type. I used powerscore for this. Keep track of what questions types you’re getting wrong, why you’re getting them wrong, then practice them. I used the Fox LR encyclopedia for this...over 550 logical reasoning questions, all divided by question type and difficulty.

It’s a balance of taking enough practice sections and spending time reviewing the ones you got wrong. Don’t spend forever reviewing wrong answers, trying to figure out exactly what you did wrong, and how you’ll never do it again. It’s a waste and you’ll go nuts. Obviously review your answers, understand why the right answer is right, and keep track of what you’re missing. But don’t torture yourself doing the same section 3 times over...your time is better spent doing new sections. It’ll also be easier this way to see a more general pattern of the mistakes you are making and how to correct them.

As for the LG, if you’re only missing 1 or 2 a section because of silly mistakes, I’d for sure spend time fixing those silly mistakes then learning a whole new method. Sounds like what your doing is working for you.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I tried it today before reading your reply and realized it was way too extreme. I will just do it twice and review the wrong answers in and out. I looked up the Fox LR book and seemed like it was just what I was looking for, so I got it. Thanks!

I have one more question. How did you work on difficult Logic Game questions? It seems there is always one difficult question per section. It takes me 15-17min to solve them after hard thinking. Should I just drill them going through the lsac preptest books or is there a specific book that only has those kind of questions?

Thank you!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”