To retake or not to retake?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jgs

New

To retake or not to retake?

Postby jgs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 am

So I took the June LSAT and just received my score (164). I've been studying since December, and took the live online class through power score. In the month before the test, I hit up to 168 on practice tests, and had several other scores above 166. Two weeks before the test, I saw a dip in my scores and ended up averaging around a 164. So in terms of my performance directly preceding the test, my actual LSAT matched well my practice tests, but perhaps not my potential.

I have a gpa that is above the 75th percentile for every school, but I am aiming for the mid t-14(15), specifically UVA, UPenn, Michigan, etc. Because 164, while in the range for all of these schools, is low, I'm having a hard time determining whether I should retake the LSAT or not. With a gpa above the 75th for all of these schools and an LSAT within, albeit barely, their range, am I better off focusing on my personal statements, letters of rec, and getting my applications in early, or should I hit the ground running again and try to get to the high 160's?

As a side note, I want to mention that Logic Games have been my weakness, but I lucked out with this test's LG being so easy (I got a 20/23, well above my average in this section), which is worth considering in that the next test is unlikely to be as forgiving in LG.

Thanks for the advice!!

JoshLyman13

New

Re: To retake or not to retake?

Postby JoshLyman13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am

Retake.

If you can get a median LSAT for the schools you are targeting you'll get in and likely get $$$. So you'll need a 169 for Penn and UVA and a 168 for Michigan.

As it stands now you have a decent chance to be accepted, but it's not a lock and you're much less likely to get significant money.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�