The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 pm

chargers21 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:
chargers21 wrote:just a reminder to write a good personal statement

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bmb338

This seems too good to be true. Not only is it a 3.96 but its a PHYSICS major. Appalled really. Thought someone like that could just leave their statement blank and get in with those numbers.
There's actually a user on this site that had a 171/3.9 and only got into 1 t13 because he basically said law school was a back up and he had nothing else to do in his PS
Thats frustrating that someone with those numbers doesnt care, but good to know ADComms do care and arent going to give up a spot for someone who doesnt care
Yepp. Just reminding people to put in the minimum amount of effort on their apps. I had very weak softs, and still hit at or above my expectations (besides initially being YP'd at the school I am now attending). I actually didn't address "why law" anywhere in my apps from a philosophical or experience standpoint, and still did fine. Just talked about why I would be a good lawyer from a skill and interest standpoint since I'm interested in transactional work
Thats good to know! You had a great cycle. Congrats again
Thanks! Still kicking myself about never hitting my PT average, but absolutely thrilled about my outcome. Go Big Red!
Naturally Naturally. It always works out in the end. I had a similar outcome with my GMAT and b-school process. Missed my PT average and was initially super bummed, but my cycle couldnt have gone any better

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:I wonder at what point I will transition from telling myself I should study to actually studying.
I relate to this on a spiritual level.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:I wonder at what point I will transition from telling myself I should study to actually studying.
If I devote the next 4 weeks to day drinking and watching stand up comedy and tennis, I still have plennnnty of time to study, right?

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm

chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

This seems too good to be true. Not only is it a 3.96 but its a PHYSICS major. Appalled really. Thought someone like that could just leave their statement blank and get in with those numbers.
There's actually a user on this site that had a 171/3.9 and only got into 1 t13 because he basically said law school was a back up and he had nothing else to do in his PS
To be fair a 171 isn't really a "fuck you" kind of score for t14 (without ps). This person's got a 177 + a 3.9 in physics from nyu. That's like 99.9 percentile in both departments.

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Finished RCB which included:

2 Humanities/Diversity passages -0, -0
2 Law passages -2 on the first one, -0 on the second
3 Science passages -4 on the first,-0, -1

Then drilled 7 Humanities passages from Cambridge packets -3, (-1 on 1, -2 on another, the rest -0)

Then 3 Social Science passages -3, -1, -2

Ugh I'm not consistent at all... what gives???

(Also these were all timed, most hitting 8.5 or less, 8 question passages taking 9-10 mins)
So annoying, I'd rather avg lower so at least I could be confident about where I'm at. Hate one day going -0 on a section and -5 the next.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
If I devote the next 4 weeks to day drinking and watching stand up comedy and tennis, I still have plennnnty of time to study, right?
Prob be fine with 6 weeks tbh.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:47 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
caramelizedgod wrote:

To be fair a 171 isn't really a "fuck you" kind of score for t14 (without ps). This person's got a 177 + a 3.9 in physics from nyu. That's like 99.9 percentile in both departments.
Moral to the story, nothing is guaranteed. Write at least a mediocre PS

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Mikey wrote: Welcome to my life :mrgreen:
me_iLR
wahhhh :cry:

EDIT: What you folks doing on this fine Saturday? :D
Took PT61 and an LG from PT19 and now am too nervous to BR.

Also I should find a new job but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:01 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
me_iLR

If it's not too personal what do u do now?
Don't quote: Was helping run a startup - but we folded a couple of weeks ago.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:33 pm

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
me_iLR

waiting for this man utd game :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
Ahhh sorry to hear friend. What are you trying to go into now?
Well given what I just got on this PT, maybe not law anymore...

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm

abujabal wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
me_iLR

If it's not too personal what do u do now?
Sorry to hear that. On the bright side, more time for pt's!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm totally shocked and dismayed at my performance on this PT. This is without a doubt the most horrendous performance I've ever had on a PT, and it's literally 4 points away from my diagnostic. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong, what went wrong today, or even what to make of this performance. I'm seriously considering pushing to December based on this, and maybe I need to suck it up and enroll in a class.

PT 61

RC: -4 | No BR
LR1: -7 | BR: -7
LG: -9 | No BR (Barely finished on time struggled with the game)
LR2: -5 | BR: -6

Experimental: LG from PT 19 | -2 (so much for that)

Score: 161. BR 160.

^ That's my PT trend. I am literally trending downwards every time I take one of these damn tests. 170+ seemed achievable when I was playing around 167ish, but now I've regressed to the low 160s. Thoughts on what to do for the next two months? Should I find a tutor or something? This is so beyond unacceptable...

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 pm

abujabal wrote:I'm totally shocked and dismayed at my performance on this PT. This is without a doubt the most horrendous performance I've ever had on a PT, and it's literally 4 points away from my diagnostic. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong, what went wrong today, or even what to make of this performance. I'm seriously considering pushing to December based on this, and maybe I need to suck it up and enroll in a class.

PT 61

RC: -4 | No BR
LR1: -7 | BR: -7
LG: -9 | No BR (Barely finished on time struggled with the game)
LR2: -5 | BR: -6

Experimental: LG from PT 19 | -2 (so much for that)

Score: 161. BR 160.

^ That's my PT trend. I am literally trending downwards every time I take one of these damn tests. 170+ seemed achievable when I was playing around 167ish, but now I've regressed to the low 160s. Thoughts on what to do for the next two months? Should I find a tutor or something? This is so beyond unacceptable...
You should take a minimum 4 day LSAT break. Do whatever you enjoy doing without drilling, reading material, or PTing. Then take a fresh PT and if it's still in the downtrend (which it won't be because you got this shit), seriously reconsider your study schedule/overall approach

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 pm

I totally would if it wasn't for the fact that I just took a 5 day break to move cross-country. Don't know how much more time I have to take off at this point. I'll probably take tomorrow at minimum, but at the official T-2 months, I'm wondering what's going wrong. I am noticing that every time I drill, I go -1 to -5/section, and when I take PTs, it goes down to -5+. Should I not be drilling from the pre-20 section? What's a more appropriate section of PTs do drill from?

Desiigner

New

Post by Desiigner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Checking in! I planned to take the LSAT last year, but some career developments required me to postpone. I am now scheduled to take this thing in September. I started studying again in May and I have been drilling LR by type, fool-proofing games, and doing RC passages on my lunch break.

My cold diagnostic a year ago was 154 or 155, can't remember. I just took PT 41, went -9 on games, and scored a 161. Do you guys think I (of average intelligence lol) can hit 165+ consistently by September? I study 20-30 hrs a week but it fluctuates since I work full time.

I basically want to be at a level where I can be relatively confident I will get a 165+ on the real thing, but I am worried that 2 months won't be enough time.

Thanks!

Ira Hayes

New

Post by Ira Hayes » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Am I the only one who thinks 2 months is a lot of time? There is still so much you can learn in that frame.

velyvely

New

Post by velyvely » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 pm

I already used all of PT 52 through PT 79 (except for 60, 64, 65, and 75) when I studied for the February LSAT, so now I've been using older materials to study - PT 7 to PT 51. Would it be better to purchase 60, 65, 65, and 75 individually, since they're newer, and prioritize using those? It does seem like a waste to buy them individually when they come in sets, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy the Official LSAT Preptests, because I'd have to buy both Volume IV (52-61), Volume V (62-71) for just 3 tests.

Also, does anyone know if there's a certain point that the LSAT got harder? I've been doing a lot better PTing on the older ones, and I can't really compare with my performance on a newer exam because I've already seen/solved them before.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studystudystudy

New

Post by studystudystudy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:34 am

Desiigner wrote:Checking in! I planned to take the LSAT last year, but some career developments required me to postpone. I am now scheduled to take this thing in September. I started studying again in May and I have been drilling LR by type, fool-proofing games, and doing RC passages on my lunch break.

My cold diagnostic a year ago was 154 or 155, can't remember. I just took PT 41, went -9 on games, and scored a 161. Do you guys think I (of average intelligence lol) can hit 165+ consistently by September? I study 20-30 hrs a week but it fluctuates since I work full time.

I basically want to be at a level where I can be relatively confident I will get a 165+ on the real thing, but I am worried that 2 months won't be enough time.

Thanks!
I would take a few more PTs to make sure it wasn't a fluke (doubt it was, but to just make sure). Nonetheless, just by fixing LG alone you have your goal score right there. LG is notably the easiest to improve on and CERTAINLY something that can be attained in 2 months. Speaking from experience, 7sage has awesome LG explanations. Good luck! :)

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:39 am

Ira Hayes wrote:Am I the only one who thinks 2 months is a lot of time? There is still so much you can learn in that frame.
I have been stressed about the time frame, but i was talking to a friend and when I thought about it is really is. 2 months is plenty of time to improve as long as you utilize the time effectively haha. Time to kick it into over drive

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 am

abujabal wrote:I totally would if it wasn't for the fact that I just took a 5 day break to move cross-country. Don't know how much more time I have to take off at this point. I'll probably take tomorrow at minimum, but at the official T-2 months, I'm wondering what's going wrong. I am noticing that every time I drill, I go -1 to -5/section, and when I take PTs, it goes down to -5+. Should I not be drilling from the pre-20 section? What's a more appropriate section of PTs do drill from?
Alright, this is odd. I've never seen a long term downtrend (after a study break) in the June group or with personal study buddies. What does your current study schedule look like?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:
abujabal wrote:I totally would if it wasn't for the fact that I just took a 5 day break to move cross-country. Don't know how much more time I have to take off at this point. I'll probably take tomorrow at minimum, but at the official T-2 months, I'm wondering what's going wrong. I am noticing that every time I drill, I go -1 to -5/section, and when I take PTs, it goes down to -5+. Should I not be drilling from the pre-20 section? What's a more appropriate section of PTs do drill from?
Alright, this is odd. I've never seen a long term downtrend (after a study break) in the June group or with personal study buddies. What does your current study schedule look like?
Before the move, it was doing at least 2 sections of LG or LR every other night or so after work, with a PT on the weekend recently, or a straight session of like 3-4 sections of whatever. I wonder if what's doing me in is that I'm drilling in the sub PT20 range. Would you cannibalize from 40 onwards you think to drill?

Now that I've moved, it's probably going to be 3-4 sections/day plus some specific drilling. 2 PTs/week

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”