Self-study advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ri.co

New

Self-study advice

Post by ri.co » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:16 am

I took Blueprint online for six months and got a 155 on the real LSAT, rising around 10+ points from my diagnostic.

Now I took a year off from studying and want to study again. This time I would like to do self-study, paying particular attention on really learning the concepts in a better environment, in retrospect my first few months were not as helpful from too many distractions in my study area. In addition, more focus on reviewing questions and tests, instead of racing through practice tests.

Anyways, I am considering Mahanttan & Powerscore three book packs. I am just not sure how I am supposed to know which would fit my style of learning better. Could I reasonably be able to go through both three packs within four months or should I mix one book from one brand i.e. Mahanttan with two books from i.e. Powerscore? Are there other credible branded test prep books I should also consider?

I am sure a bunch have asked a similar question and have spent a handful of hours looking through the guides and other similar threads. So I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Last edited by ri.co on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Re: Self-study advice

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 am

I have the Manhattan series and it is pretty good. I actually like the content presented. I also bought The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim who authored some of the Manhattan series. I don't know too much about Powerscore. However, I do know that The LSAT Trainer offers a study schedule and study guide on there website and it has helped me out a lot. The LSAT Trainer is suppose to be used in conjunction with LSAC 10 Actual test prep book. I did though stop using the Manhattan guide because I do prefer The Trainer and the hands on approach with the actual test.

ri.co

New

Post by ri.co » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:58 am

Incrementalist wrote:I have the Manhattan series and it is pretty good. I actually like the content presented. I also bought The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim who authored some of the Manhattan series. I don't know too much about Powerscore. However, I do know that The LSAT Trainer offers a study schedule and study guide on there website and it has helped me out a lot. The LSAT Trainer is suppose to be used in conjunction with LSAC 10 Actual test prep book. I did though stop using the Manhattan guide because I do prefer The Trainer and the hands on approach with the actual test.
You are the first one to recommend Manhattan. Could I use The LSAT Trainer instead of one of the Mahanttan books?

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 am

ri.co wrote:
Incrementalist wrote:I have the Manhattan series and it is pretty good. I actually like the content presented. I also bought The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim who authored some of the Manhattan series. I don't know too much about Powerscore. However, I do know that The LSAT Trainer offers a study schedule and study guide on there website and it has helped me out a lot. The LSAT Trainer is suppose to be used in conjunction with LSAC 10 Actual test prep book. I did though stop using the Manhattan guide because I do prefer The Trainer and the hands on approach with the actual test.
You are the first one to recommend Manhattan. Could I use The LSAT Trainer instead of one of the Mahanttan books?
You can use The LSAT Trainer instead of the Manhattan Books. I just happen to have all four of them. If you do use The Trainer you are going to have to purchase the 10 Actual Prep Test book as well by LSAC because Mike Kim recommends using both for your self study. Me personally I prefer The Trainer over the Manhattan Books because it teaches you how to get into the minds of 170+ scorers and how to attack those problems. However, that is just me. Other people may say go with BluePrint, PowerScore, or Manhattan etc...I think its all based on your learning style and what you hope to accomplish.

ri.co

New

Post by ri.co » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Incrementalist wrote:
ri.co wrote:
You can use The LSAT Trainer instead of the Manhattan Books. I just happen to have all four of them. If you do use The Trainer you are going to have to purchase the 10 Actual Prep Test book as well by LSAC because Mike Kim recommends using both for your self study. Me personally I prefer The Trainer over the Manhattan Books because it teaches you how to get into the minds of 170+ scorers and how to attack those problems. However, that is just me. Other people may say go with BluePrint, PowerScore, or Manhattan etc...I think its all based on your learning style and what you hope to accomplish.
Thanks for the advice. I have been floating in the high 150s the last time I studied, therefore I would be more than ecstatic with anything in the 160s. Do you have any other ways you would describe the difference between Manhanttan and LSAT Trainer? Still stuck between those and Powerscore.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:54 pm

ri.co wrote:
Incrementalist wrote:
ri.co wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I have been floating in the high 150s the last time I studied, therefore I would be more than ecstatic with anything in the 160s. Do you have any other ways you would describe the difference between Manhanttan and LSAT Trainer? Still stuck between those and Powerscore.
In my opinion I think the LSAT trainer is more geared towards getting your feet wet (But that is my opinion for it) for the LG section, while the Manhattan books prepare you for take off once you have the solid foundation if that makes sense. As I stated before I think this is especially true for the LG section of the Trainer. I think the Trainer could have did a little more in regards to LG's but I preferred the tips and approaches for RC and LR sections over Manhattan. However, that is just my opinion. Other people may feel differently.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”