Is Lsac the Gold Standard? Disprencies Betwen the Lsac and 7sage scaled scores Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SunDevil14

Bronze

Is Lsac the Gold Standard? Disprencies Betwen the Lsac and 7sage scaled scores

Post by SunDevil14 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Not that the the topic is extremely concerning, though I am curious if Lsac's scaled scores as listed on the table of the final pages of Lsac officials tests is the most accurate indicator/gold standard?

Occasionally the scaled scores provided by the Lsac table and those of 7sage analytics will differ by a point.

galeatus

Silver

Re: Is Lsac the Gold Standard? Disprencies Betwen the Lsac and 7sage scaled scores

Post by galeatus » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:23 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Not that the the topic is extremely concerning, though I am curious if Lsac's scaled scores as listed on the table of the final pages of Lsac officials tests is the most accurate indicator/gold standard?

Occasionally the scaled scores provided by the Lsac table and those of 7sage analytics will differ by a point.
I mean, LSAC write, score, and curve all of the tests, so pretty damn sure that there won't be a scale that's more accurate than the one at the back of each PT

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Is Lsac the Gold Standard? Disprencies Betwen the Lsac and 7sage scaled scores

Post by SunDevil14 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 pm

galeatus wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:Not that the the topic is extremely concerning, though I am curious if Lsac's scaled scores as listed on the table of the final pages of Lsac officials tests is the most accurate indicator/gold standard?

I mean, LSAC write, score, and curve all of the tests, so pretty damn sure that there won't be a scale that's more accurate than the one at the back of each PT
Thanks that was my assumption

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 pm

There's a difference?? I don't think there's a difference

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:14 am

galeatus wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I'd say LSAC is the gold standard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alan-7sage

New

Post by alan-7sage » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Occasionally the scaled scores provided by the Lsac table and those of 7sage analytics will differ by a point.
Hi SunDevil14, could you please let me know what PTs seem to differ from LSAC?

If we made a mistake, we want to know and fix it asap!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:17 pm

alan-7sage wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:Occasionally the scaled scores provided by the Lsac table and those of 7sage analytics will differ by a point.
Hi SunDevil14, could you please let me know what PTs seem to differ from LSAC?

If we made a mistake, we want to know and fix it asap!

No worries, you guys do a great job and provide excellent resources. Nearly, all of the tests are accurate. Unfortunately I cannot remember off the top of my head the few that differ. I have put over 30 tests into the database and cannot recall the exact test that differed by a point. Although the latest test I took, which was PT 46, 7sage scored the test as a 175 where as the Lsac listed it at a 176.

alan-7sage

New

Post by alan-7sage » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:37 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
alan-7sage wrote:
... could you please let me know what PTs seem to differ from LSAC?
... the latest test I took, which was PT 46, 7sage scored the test as a 175 where as the Lsac listed it at a 176.
Hi SunDevil14, I think I may know what happened. PT 46 has a question that was removed from scoring - question 9 from section 1 (RC).

Our grader currently translates a raw score of 94 (5 wrong) as 175, which matches the scoring sheet of the copy of PT 46 I have.

I've seen cases in the past where students have accidentally mis-scored themselves because of these "removed from scoring" questions. I've done it myself in the past - the removed questions complicates scoring.

What happens is that someone counts up the number they got wrong, say 5. Then they total up the number of questions from each section, forgetting to subtract the question that was removed from scoring, for example coming to a total of 100 instead of 99. Then they calculate their score as 100-5=95 instead of 99-5=94.

That said, I may have messed up my math somewhere, gotten the wrong scoring sheet, or otherwise be mistaken. Do you mind please double checking your raw score?

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:32 pm

alan-7sage wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
alan-7sage wrote:
... could you please let me know what PTs seem to differ from LSAC?
... the latest test I took, which was PT 46, 7sage scored the test as a 175 where as the Lsac listed it at a 176.
Hi SunDevil14, I think I may know what happened. PT 46 has a question that was removed from scoring - question 9 from section 1 (RC).

Our grader currently translates a raw score of 94 (5 wrong) as 175, which matches the scoring sheet of the copy of PT 46 I have.

I've seen cases in the past where students have accidentally mis-scored themselves because of these "removed from scoring" questions. I've done it myself in the past - the removed questions complicates scoring.

What happens is that someone counts up the number they got wrong, say 5. Then they total up the number of questions from each section, forgetting to subtract the question that was removed from scoring, for example coming to a total of 100 instead of 99. Then they calculate their score as 100-5=95 instead of 99-5=94.

That said, I may have messed up my math somewhere, gotten the wrong scoring sheet, or otherwise be mistaken. Do you mind please double checking your raw score?
I always use the subtraction method you described above, so I am sure that the tests where there was a discrepancy are ones that have questions removed. It never occurred to me that I should subtract another point for those questions. I supposed in the back of the head I had the high-school/university assumption that if a whomever was giving the test "F"ed up on a question they'd be nice enough to give you a free point. I gave Lsac too much credit haha.

alan-7sage

New

Post by alan-7sage » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks for letting me know - I'm glad there isn't a problem with our scoring tables :)

Congrats on the awesome PT scores, I hope you kick ass on the test!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”