How to do "unusual" games (PT60ish+) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

How to do "unusual" games (PT60ish+)

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:35 am

So I ran across this television programming game (Game 4 PT65), and I thought I did it really well, and in fact my set up was good, but I didn't catch on to what they were doing with the ordering (second, third program, etc), so on the questions I didn't see that there were sometimes multiple more options for placement.

This game seemed so unusual that I was wondering how you're supposed to practice for it. I mean, if there are so few types like it (or maybe none at all), how do you prepare?

Is the only thing you can do to practice is do a bunch of games, and be aware of the fact that there may be an unusual game, and recognize that you might need to be more creative in what the questions are asking of you?

It was strange, it was as if I couldn't just automatically place the pieces down. It asked for the second television show, and I chose the second slot I had drawn, but really, it could have been the third slot. Slots in this case did not correspond with the television show order.

Is there a compendium of "weird" games from PT60+ that you can offer?

It wasn't actually hard once you realized what they meant by the order, and when I first did this game, I did it in under 10 minutes, and thought it was really easy, and thought I caught on to what the trick was. Hah! I only somewhat did.

7Sage said that to answer these unusual games, you should just stop and think about the set up. I did that, and created a good set up, but didn't make one realization, and honestly, because it was so far out, I really doubt I would have. I probably would have had to wait for the questions if I had any chance.

Instrumental

Silver

Re: How to do "unusual" games (PT60ish+)

Post by Instrumental » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 am

That game was really just a sequencing game except instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6 it was more like 1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5. Once you realize that, it's pretty straight forward based on sequencing approach. I think the best advice is just to think of the problem in terms of the previous types of constructs because they're pretty much all the same with just a different story to present them. The only one that stands out as particularly different is one of the first LGs where they had if I remember right, overlapping circular operating areas. Never seen anything like that one since.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:02 am

I'm just not used to having to think about that possibility. Surprised me.

Thanks for your reply

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 am

I'll be frank: LG is my worst section. But, my opinion, fwiw, is to avoid freezing in these situations. If you can't wrap your head around a reasonable setup, jump into the questions and see what you can figure out.

Why? Well, I've noticed LSAC "communicates", in a way, with test takers. If you're smart enough to catch a hint, the first question after the acceptable situation question often drives you toward an inference that's key to unlocking the game. So, grind that one out--there's a non-zero percent chance you might be able to stumble on an inference that's needed, and you haven't been able to "mine" yet.

Hope this helps you as much as it's helped me. :D

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:00 pm

My biggest tip for these would be not to panic. Read slowly and carefully, maybe even 2 or 3 times, but don't tell yourself it's some crazy unusual, difficult game. Personally I can't think if I'm all panicky because I'm expecting the game to be killer. So I always approach it as "this is just another game and I have all the information I need to complete it successfully"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”