Best prep book, prior to intensive study? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
O.J.

Bronze

Best prep book, prior to intensive study?

Post by O.J. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:34 pm

I'll be taking the 16-week LSAT Trainer program before my first October test next year. However prior to that, in the Spring of my last quarter in college I would like to start some preparation with fundamentals, or basic reading I can do a few hours a week. I'll be taking a full load at school, so I need something for a couple hours a night, nothing more. What would be a good prep book before I start the LSAT Trainer system?

Thanks!

JazzyMac

Bronze

Re: Best prep book, prior to intensive study?

Post by JazzyMac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:29 pm

I reviewed a lot of material in this thread...I hope it helps!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=251129

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 pm

JazzyMac wrote:I reviewed a lot of material in this thread...I hope it helps!

In the thread you say "Trainer, Trainer, Trainer" but also have high regard for other books too. Would you just say do the Trainer and nothing else (with hindsight)? Also, if I may ask, what do you mean by "dismal" score?

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 am

MAPP wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:I reviewed a lot of material in this thread...I hope it helps!

In the thread you say "Trainer, Trainer, Trainer" but also have high regard for other books too. Would you just say do the Trainer and nothing else (with hindsight)? Also, if I may ask, what do you mean by "dismal" score?
Just going through all the posts and gleaning how some people learn, or already have a knack for the LSAT, it's hard to specifically say, "only do the Trainer". I started the trainer, but had to pause and take "Beginner's LSAT" before I could move forward. For a forest thinker like me, the Trainer couldn't assist me at the beginning of my studies. I needed to know that at the end of a study session, I had a big bite of lesson to chew around concerning the test.

If I had all the time in the world, and the Trainer was the only book I had, I would be okay using it along with prep tests. By the time one has gotten past quite a few drills, things start catching on, and you're apt to see how you need to improve, and how your weaknesses are holding you back.

As far as my score: Dismal...super dismal. Not "OMG, I got a 171, I have to re-test!", but *real* true, maybe not get into law school. Lower than any prep test. I'll leave it at that.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am

JazzyMac wrote:
Just going through all the posts and gleaning how some people learn, or already have a knack for the LSAT, it's hard to specifically say, "only do the Trainer". I started the trainer, but had to pause and take "Beginner's LSAT" before I could move forward. For a forest thinker like me, the Trainer couldn't assist me at the beginning of my studies. I needed to know that at the end of a study session, I had a big bite of lesson to chew around concerning the test.

If I had all the time in the world, and the Trainer was the only book I had, I would be okay using it along with prep tests. By the time one has gotten past quite a few drills, things start catching on, and you're apt to see how you need to improve, and how your weaknesses are holding you back.

As far as my score: Dismal...super dismal. Not "OMG, I got a 171, I have to re-test!", but *real* true, maybe not get into law school. Lower than any prep test. I'll leave it at that.
Sorry to hear about the score. It's that fear that keeps me up at night and keeps me studying

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 am

MAPP wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:

Sorry to hear about the score. It's that fear that keeps me up at night and keeps me studying
No worries. In any time of failure or adversity, I just reflect and keep pressing.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 am

Thanks for the link, great stuff!

Though, I'm still looking for that casual reading book to begin with, a primer, or something I dont neccesarily have to drill yet, since I'm a year away from my first real test. I was thinking this book looked pretty good: "Introducing the LSAT: The Fox Test Prep Quick & Dirty LSAT Primer"

Have you guys heard of it? It's got some nice reviews and looks like a good primer to keep me reading and learning the basics. The entirety of the LSAT feels really big to me right now, real intimidating. I'm hoping to wrap my head around it and feel more confident when I begin the LSAT Trainer.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:11 am

O.J. wrote:Thanks for the link, great stuff!

Though, I'm still looking for that casual reading book to begin with, a primer, or something I dont neccesarily have to drill yet, since I'm a year away from my first real test. I was thinking this book looked pretty good: "Introducing the LSAT: The Fox Test Prep Quick & Dirty LSAT Primer"

Have you guys heard of it? It's got some nice reviews and looks like a good primer to keep me reading and learning the basics. The entirety of the LSAT feels really big to me right now, real intimidating. I'm hoping to wrap my head around it and feel more confident when I begin the LSAT Trainer.
I haven't heard of that book before your post, but if it doesn't have real LSAT questions, then it might steer you into a direction you aren't ready.

Based on the price and a few cursory reviews I read, I would recommend spending $28 and getting the SuperPrep I or II. It's an easy read, the first 25% of the book is talking about each section, and then they go into the tests, and after the tests, they break down each problem and why the answers exist the way they do. You can put the book to the side and revisit at various times, and then when you're ready to do the problems months down the road, or a year, they will be there for you.

The SuperPrep has three tests: Average cost per test is $8

If you include the $9 for the Fox book, you have technically saved a few bucks using real study material that is published by the people who actually make the tests. I know what horse I'd bet on that one.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 am

Ok cool, just realized I actually have that Superprep 1 book, I bought it a few years back and never read it. Is it still relevant, or do I need a more recent version? Thanks again. I'll start on it tomorrow and report back. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:42 am

O.J. wrote:Ok cool, just realized I actually have that Superprep 1 book, I bought it a few years back and never read it. Is it still relevant, or do I need a more recent version? Thanks again. I'll start on it tomorrow and report back. :)
Definitely relevant! If anything just to get your eyes used to the problems. The more current tests have weird twists and turns that aren't like the older ones, but any test is a good test. :)

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Get the Manhattan LG and LR books. The only books you will need for a strong foundation building.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”