In/Out: Chains or Frames? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
biggestlawman

Silver

In/Out: Chains or Frames?

Post by biggestlawman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:05 pm

How should one go about the in/out games? I find that it is not so straight forward to tell right away if chains will work. If they do, the game is a breeze. But if you use them and they don't work, you have wasted so much time and you still have to do frames. Any ideas?

RZ5646

Gold

Re: In/Out: Chains or Frames?

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm not familiar with that terminology, but once the 7sage guy showed me that you can make "in" = true and "out" = false, in/out games got 100000 times easier. Instead of worrying about Boat A or Circus Tent 2, you just do conditional logic.

biggestlawman

Silver

Post by biggestlawman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:27 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I'm not familiar with that terminology, but once the 7sage guy showed me that you can make "in" = true and "out" = false, in/out games got 100000 times easier. Instead of worrying about Boat A or Circus Tent 2, you just do conditional logic.
Chains: All/most rules connect to form a chain, and you can write down a contra chain as well.
Frames: Relying on conditional rules and the fact that there are only two groups (in and out), you can create exhaustive frames.
Last edited by biggestlawman on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:31 pm

biggestlawman wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:I'm not familiar with that terminology, but once the 7sage guy showed me that you can make "in" = true and "out" = false, in/out games got 100000 times easier. Instead of worrying about Boat A or Circus Tent 2, you just do conditional logic.
Chains: All/most rules connect to form a chain, and you can a write down a contra chain as well.
Frames: Relying on conditional rules and the fact that there are only two groups (in and out), you can create exhaustive frames.
I think this is probably a case of "mix and match to get an ideal middle case." Some games will benefit more from frames (I take it you refer to what 7sage calls "sub-gameboards") while others will be rule-driven. You can't tell what approach is best until you actually have the game in front of you.

biggestlawman

Silver

Post by biggestlawman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:15 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:
Chains: All/most rules connect to form a chain, and you can a write down a contra chain as well.
I think this is probably a case of "mix and match to get an ideal middle case." Some games will benefit more from frames (I take it you refer to what 7sage calls "sub-gameboards") while others will be rule-driven. You can't tell what approach is best until you actually have the game in front of you.
Yes. Thanks.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:32 pm

biggestlawman wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
biggestlawman wrote:
Yes. Thanks.
But of course the important point is to combine these approaches intelligently by making hypothetical/frames/sub-gameboards with variable placements that trigger the most rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”