Kaplan Prep Course - Offered free through UMN Law Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MAPP

Bronze

Kaplan Prep Course - Offered free through UMN Law

Post by MAPP » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:13 pm

So I am going to be studying for the LSAT this summer (and probably a little over spring semester too). I want your thoughts about a free Kaplan test prep course that Minnesota Law offers over the summer to highly qualified undergraduate students (https://www.law.umn.edu/academics/non-d ... ls-program). My concern is that I might screw myself by committing to this course (say I didn't like Kaplan's methods, UMN Law admissions would know if I dropped out of the Kaplan course) and I've seen good and bad about Kaplan on TLS. However, it is free and, if admitted, it shows UMN Law I am committed to their law school.

I have worked through some Powerscore bibles and really like the LG one but didn't like the LR Bible. I'm probably going to review the LG bible over spring semester and do practice LG questions. Do you think that would work counter to any LG prep in the Kaplan course? Also, does Kaplan use actual LR questions or do they make up their own (this is a key question, as I probably won't take them if they make them up)?

Sean_33

New

Re: Kaplan Prep Course - Offered free through UMN Law

Post by Sean_33 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Hey!

If the course is being offered for free, I would go ahead and take it. They do you use real LSAT questions, and they provide you with PT 1-75 via their online resources. (Not sure if you'll get those with the free course, but it's something to ask about) I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the Kaplan course and found it to be of little help. The main value was the PTs...

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:54 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
Are you the type of self-starter who can learn about a topic just through reading a strategy book and self-experimentation?

Consider picking up an LSAT book from another company (I'd recommend The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim) and see if it makes any sense to you.
I am extremely studious (3.93 GPA Economics BA), but I've always had a professor (or fellow classmates) to ask questions when things didn't make sense or when figuring out something would take way more time than just asking for help.

I have gone through the powerscore LG bible which made sense and helped me improve a lot. The powerscore LR bible took me more time, was at times confusing, and didn't seem to explain certain concepts or question types very well.

I realize Kaplan has gotten flak on TLS for spotty performances by students, but I'm looking to get a 167 or thereabouts to hit Minnesota's 75th percentile, so I don't need a super amazing lsat class. (love your avatar btw mornincounselor)

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:35 am

Post removed...
Last edited by Mint-Berry_Crunch on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Don't sell yourself short, with a 3.93/ 170 you have a lot of doors open. With a 3.93/175 you could go somewhere amazing (scholarship and actual ranking wise).

Sign up for the class and make use of the questions since they're free. Buy the trainer. Use the questions to drill based off what the trainer is telling you, work your way through some PTs and buy some more questions if you need to.
The only downside is, like mornincounselor said, what if the class time is a total waste?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”