LSAT Trainer vs Manhattan for LR?

LSAT Trainer vs Manhattan for LR?

Postby AlexandraHope » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 am

So after the LGB, I would like to briefly brush up on the other two sections before I dive into practice tests before the October LSAT. As of right now, I am not struggling on either per-se(currently in the 80ish percentile) I'm just having a hard time with timing. Which one would you guys recommend? I'm on a very strict budget, so I wanted to spend the bulk of my money on acquiring practice tests since I feel like they would help me with keeping my pace.

Re: LSAT Trainer vs Manhattan for LR?

Postby Op_Diom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 am

The LSAT Trainer goes through LR, LG and RC sections; whereas Manhattan LR only covers LR. The Trainer is excellent because of its generalized 'big picture' conceptualization of the test, which I found most useful for the beginning stages of my prep. MLR goes into more detail since the entire book is dedicated to LR, but both books are definitely compatible and even complimentary. It just depends on how you feel about LR and RC. The RC sections in the Trainer are very good, as it focuses more on the necessary mentality for doing well and the fundamental principles underlying the test in general. So if you feel RC is a weakness and need a general but thorough understanding of the test then maybe the comprehensive view taken by the Trainer is your best bet. However, if you feel comfortable with RC and need detailed instruction in LR (along with formal/conditional/causational logic, which MLR does very well) then maybe you should go with MLR. Nevertheless, to receive the most complete understanding, I would certainly suggest reading both. Maybe you can find a used copies on ebay or Amazon? I don't think an edition from years past will make a difference in the quality of info. Good luck.

Postby Oskosh » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:24 am

Purchase both. In my opinion, the LSAT trainer was most useful to me when it came fore reading comprehension. It really helped me to understand the nuances of reading for structure, and I began using most of its techniques often.

As the user above said, Manhattan is great for LR. It has a great way of explaining many questions as missing a component, which helps you to understand as significant majority of the questions (weaken/sufficient assump/necessary assump/strengthen/flaw), etc.

Postby Rigo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 am

They both complement each other very well. Mike Kim (LSAT Trainer) is a former Manhattan instructor.
If you HAD to only choose one for LR, then go with Manhattan LR. It was probably my favorite prep book when I was studying.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”