The Official December 2015 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
daisrt

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2015 Study Group

Post by daisrt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Guys, I quit my last job 2 months ago to study full-time for the October LSAT, but ended up canceling my score because I panicked and was kind of fear-paralyzed after not finishing my RC section (first section of the test.)

I'm starting a new full-time job next week- I've never had to balance work and studying before. How many hours during weekdays you guys who work full-time devote to studying? I was thinking maybe 2-3 hours of drilling four days out of the work week, and then 6-8 hours on Saturday/Sunday/maybe both days (for PTs and review.)

Does that sound feasible or does it sound like a total recipe for burnout? Does anyone else have work/study balance tips? Thanks!

shineoncrazydiamond

Bronze

Post by shineoncrazydiamond » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 pm

daisrt wrote:Guys, I quit my last job 2 months ago to study full-time for the October LSAT, but ended up canceling my score because I panicked and was kind of fear-paralyzed after not finishing my RC section (first section of the test.)

I'm starting a new full-time job next week- I've never had to balance work and studying before. How many hours during weekdays you guys who work full-time devote to studying? I was thinking maybe 2-3 hours of drilling four days out of the work week, and then 6-8 hours on Saturday/Sunday/maybe both days (for PTs and review.)

Does that sound feasible or does it sound like a total recipe for burnout? Does anyone else have work/study balance tips? Thanks!
Hi! Checking in and fellow full-time worker. I'm trying to put in 2ish hours four days of the work week (working on specific passage/question types, timing on RC, etc) and one full PT+review (so maybe 4 hours) on weekends. I am also forcing myself to take one day each week in which I try very hard NOT to think about/work on work, LSAT, apps etc. It keeps me (relatively) sane, inspired, and refreshed. I may revise the weekend plan though as one of the biggest challenges for me on this test is staying focused, especially on RC passages that aren't particularly enthralling, so I may try to do a few more PTs to get used to the timing and staying engaged.

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:45 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:Not a big coffee drinker.....I actually don't drink coffee at all.....but I decided to drink a cup of coffee today prior to a PT to see if it would give me a "boost" or something of that sort..... awful idea

I was reading about 10000 MPH without understanding anything.....and I can still feel my heart racing

note to self: don't ever do that again
I'm not a coffee drinker, bad past history with too much of it and it messing with my body and nerves. However, I do love herbal tea. I have been drinking Passion flavored tea which I believe has a bit of caffeine in it, whenever I am sleepy. I find sometimes when I'm beyond exhausted and I drink a cup of it, it wakes me up and I'm able to hit my LR sections! That said, I would never drink it prior to doing a PT.

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 pm

kylemolodets wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote: I have run out of time on the last passage!
I am right there with you, I ALWAYS run out of time on the last passage.

I spent most of my week studying from the trainer and I only did about 30 problems from the flaw drill packet. I tried sitting down to do PT 40 something and after 20 minutes had to just stop because I just couldn't focus (probably from the combination of hearing snow melt and bang on the window and starting with a RC sections). That was the first time I had ever been so out of it. Meh. Here's to hoping I can get more focused and not overwhelmed by every PT.
I have been drilling old school rule driven games today, I'm hoping it will prepare me for the newer versions! You should try to PT in those conditions more bc that will be a realistic indicator of test conditions. I have been taking PT albeit not many lol thusfar I have only done 8 preptests. That said, I take most of my preptests in the public library, there is usually rustling of papers, typing on laptops, and the occasional child running around lol. The first time I got so distracted with even the papers and laptops, but now I have acclimated!

On another note can you send some of your weather my direction? I live in Cali and we have nothing but incessant sunshine! I love the sun and all, but a little rain would be great. We have been in a drought for 5 years, it legit rained one day in the last three months..

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Question for the LSAT veterans: ie retakers lol

I was going to PT the 50s but noted all the comments about making sure you hit the more recent tests to get an accurate indication of what the LSAT will be like. So, I decided to forgo PTing the 50s and stick to the 60s and 70s. My question is regarding LG, I really want to take every LG there is available, so I know I have truly mastered this thing. Do you think it is worth it to somehow acquire the 50s LG (maybe from Cambridge if they are still selling PDFs) and practice them? I have the LG from PT 1-38, and the 60s onwards, once I complete the 60s tests, I will purchase the 70s.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:16 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:Question for the LSAT veterans: ie retakers lol

I was going to PT the 50s but noted all the comments about making sure you hit the more recent tests to get an accurate indication of what the LSAT will be like. So, I decided to forgo PTing the 50s and stick to the 60s and 70s. My question is regarding LG, I really want to take every LG there is available, so I know I have truly mastered this thing. Do you think it is worth it to somehow acquire the 50s LG (maybe from Cambridge if they are still selling PDFs) and practice them? I have the LG from PT 1-38, and the 60s onwards, once I complete the 60s tests, I will purchase the 70s.

Thoughts?
I think it's crucial to go through the LGs in the 50's. There's some pretty tough games (Dinosaur game), if at all possible I would suggest to take PT 57 in full. Because if there is that chance you get a tough game like that it will help you to just roll with the punches! I'm positive you can buy the 50s from amazon for about 20something bucks.

Also, I totally am using your idea of cutting out the questions and I have a nice little five-star notebook will every question I have been getting wrong in LR this past week. I think it's really helping with my understanding and retaining of the patterns for LR. :mrgreen:

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:Question for the LSAT veterans: ie retakers lol

Thoughts?
I think it's crucial to go through the LGs in the 50's. There's some pretty tough games (Dinosaur game), if at all possible I would suggest to take PT 57 in full. Because if there is that chance you get a tough game like that it will help you to just roll with the punches! I'm positive you can buy the 50s from amazon for about 20something bucks.

Also, I totally am using your idea of cutting out the questions and I have a nice little five-star notebook will every question I have been getting wrong in LR this past week. I think it's really helping with my understanding and retaining of the patterns for LR. :mrgreen:
I'm really glad it's helping you! I looked at two problems in my notebook this morning and all I can think of in my free time is that zebra's with stripes notice other zebra's with stripes when they are running because the stripes act as a signal/symbol to them. LOL. There was one problem in there where I am not satisfied with the explanation and I can't come up with one, but that's what one has to deal with when going through the test I guess.

And you are completely RIGHT!!! The book is only $25!! I think I might do that, purchase it and use the other sections as my experimentals when PTing. I looked at Cambridge, they are selling PDFs of the games but it's the same price so why not!?

FSUHopeful

Bronze

Post by FSUHopeful » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Just did PT45 LR1 -4 LR2 -4 RC -3 LG -7.. Still struggling with LG, and trying to find time to study.. teach 4th grade, do after school activities, and have my own kids.. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nerdylsat

Bronze

Post by nerdylsat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Just took PT59...got a 161.

Literally more than half the questions I got wrong are in the 15-25 range of the LR sections. I've drilled some Cambridge Packets for these questions and I'm still getting the tough ones wrong....ugh.

I think it's a combination of being stressed on time + reading inattentively.

How did you guys get good at the tough LR?

FSUHopeful

Bronze

Post by FSUHopeful » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:59 pm

nerdylsat wrote:Just took PT59...got a 161.

Literally more than half the questions I got wrong are in the 15-25 range of the LR sections. I've drilled some Cambridge Packets for these questions and I'm still getting the tough ones wrong....ugh.

Practice, and LawSchoolI's free blog posts believe it or not helped me. Have to throw in LR Bible in there too.

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
daisrt wrote:Guys, I quit my last job 2 months ago to study full-time for the October LSAT, but ended up canceling my score because I panicked and was kind of fear-paralyzed after not finishing my RC section (first section of the test.)

Full time worker here, I think the biggest thing is do what you can, if you are dog tired and study for 2 hours you may it really benifit from it at all. But 45 minutes of fully aware and ready to go studying would benifit you much more. For me I just try to work through what I can, I've taken full PTs after work and it's not fun by any means.

Try to study prior to work, it helps as well. It's hard for me because I work an earlier shift but when I do manage to wake up earlier and get 30 minutes or so of studying I seem to get more out of it!
Yeah, this is helpful. I work 8:30-5 so I definitely have time to do some early morning drilling. Regarding the less is more thing- you're probably right. I've had LSAT teachers tell me not to study when exhausted because I'll develop bad habits (reasoning habits, I presume.)

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:14 am

shineoncrazydiamond wrote:

Hi! Checking in and fellow full-time worker. I'm trying to put in 2ish hours four days of the work week (working on specific passage/question types, timing on RC, etc) and one full PT+review (so maybe 4 hours) on weekends. I am also forcing myself to take one day each week in which I try very hard NOT to think about/work on work, LSAT, apps etc. It keeps me (relatively) sane, inspired, and refreshed. I may revise the weekend plan though as one of the biggest challenges for me on this test is staying focused, especially on RC passages that aren't particularly enthralling, so I may try to do a few more PTs to get used to the timing and staying engaged.
Sounds good! The day off is definitely important- I think as far as the weekend goes, I'm gonna have to do some studying on both days, maybe even back to back PTs/reviews. We only have 7 weeks left!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daisrt

Bronze

Post by daisrt » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 am

nerdylsat wrote:Just took PT59...got a 161.

If you recognize you're reading inattentively, then you've potentially won half the battle, since one of the big problems many LSAT test takers have is staying focused. Try being hyperaware of what the arguments are and what they are based on. Then you'll be able to identify gaps in the logic that can be weakened/strengthened/etc.

Also, I feel like I didn't really progress in LR until I figured out patterns in my thought process that were leading me to incorrect answers. Every question you get wrong is an opportunity to seriously assess and address the flaws in your own reasoning!
Last edited by daisrt on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 am

Just a FYI. Cambridge LSAT has some PDF downloads available on their site. Don't know how long it will last but get them while they last! Happy studying.

Sean_33

New

Post by Sean_33 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 am

Checking in!

Taking PT 44 today! :D

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

nlee10 wrote:Just a FYI. Cambridge LSAT has some PDF downloads available on their site. Don't know how long it will last but get them while they last! Happy studying.
Which PDFs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 am

GreekOmega12 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:Just a FYI. Cambridge LSAT has some PDF downloads available on their site. Don't know how long it will last but get them while they last! Happy studying.
Which PDFs?
The ones I got were the PT 1-38 packets for LR/RC/LG.

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:38 pm

For people scoring into the 170s in the PT 70s, did you find the reading comprehension section and the Logical Reasoning section to be more difficult than those in the past PTs? I have been averaging from the low to high 160s in the PT 60s, (some were retakes after couple months of not seeing them) but when I took the recent December 2013 exam, I scored a 159.. In the reading comprehension I would usually get 20 or 21 questions correct but for that particular exam, I got 15/27. Also, for LR, I would usually get -6 in total, but for this more recent exam I got about -12. Do you guys have any advice for adjusting for the new PT 70s, if you have noticed that the LR and Reading Comprehension sections had more subtle answer choices and more complex argument structures. I have been doing BR, drilling problem areas and I have pretty much seen a good majority of all the questions from PT 1-71.

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:47 pm

nlee10 wrote:
GreekOmega12 wrote:
Which PDFs?
Is there any way possible you could PM the link? Because I can not find what you're referencing. They still cost when I went to look.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 pm

GreekOmega12 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
GreekOmega12 wrote:
Which PDFs?
Is there any way possible you could PM the link? Because I can not find what you're referencing. They still cost when I went to look.
https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/l ... s-by-type/

LG for example.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I never said they were free but rather you can download them as PDF's. For some of the newer users on here, LSAC implemented ban on online PDF sales earlier this year so you couldn't buy anymore online LSAT content. For whatever reasons, there's a temporary window.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Study time

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Okay thanks for clarifying.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post removed.

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by SirArthurDayne on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Almost done with the trainer. Just did the first drill set for Main Conclusion, Identify the Role, and Match the Reasoning. A good day of studying. Really getting comfortable with LR, I need to work on converting parts of the argument into formal logic. As of right now, I don't diagram any of the questions when I'm taking a PT. Upon review it seems like I can be getting some easy points on one or two questions if I learn how to quickly diagram and drop into the answer choices.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”