GRE Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shathdra

New

GRE Help

Post by shathdra » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Hey,

A friend is interested in studying for the GRE. Does anyone on this board know if there is a similar community dedicated to GRE Prep, or if there are certain materials that are reputably good for studying for the GRE, or anything of that nature that could be useful?

Thanks!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Re: GRE Help

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:16 am

Pretty sure Manhattan is top notch for the GRE, along with the LSAT and GMAT.

TypeAprobs

New

Post by TypeAprobs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 am

They should look into thegradcafe.com. They have results by school, admissions forums per field, prep forums, etc.

I second Clyde Frogs's Manhattan's GRE. Get the "5 Lbs Book" and the 8 workbook bundle. If you get them all on amazon it will cost you under $120 and your friend will get access to 6 prep tests.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:57 am

I don't want to sound snobbish but why not take the test w/o studying and see if you need to study

I took it cold turkey and scored in the 90% ( i would never recommend this strategy for the LSAT since all scores will be sent in your app)

imDEREK

New

Post by imDEREK » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:12 am

Just took the GRE and scored in the high 160s for verbal and quantitative. I have also been out of school for 6 years.

My thoughts:
1. I reviewed for about a month and this was sufficient
2. download the magoosh vocab app for your phone so you learn the ETS definitions for the words. They will be exactly the same on the test. If you learn all the words on the app, you will get several questions automatically.
3. Be mindful of your time on the math, it's geometry and algebra but it had been 10 years since my last geometry class so I needed to work on my speed.
4. The magoosh materials are good but they are harder than the actual questions from ETS
5. Review the 260 essay topics --- I divided them into roughly 20 categories and jotted down some brief notes as to how to tackle each one. Practice writing an essay in 30 minutes. You don't want to blow the essay and ruin your confidence.
6. Practice reading online questions and not getting to write on the actual questions themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”