Eliminating quickly and effectively on LR Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ltowns1

Silver

Eliminating quickly and effectively on LR

Post by ltowns1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 pm

When I first started to look at my powerscore book I had a hard time understanding how to translate what it meant to accept the premise as true when it came to understanding how to do assumption family questions. Too often in my opinion I focused on solely the main conclusion, which got me right answers at times, but didn't a lot more. really did not know what I was doing at the time, this concept alone really caused me to struggle with LR for a while until I got Manhattan lr, which introduced me to the ideal of the core. It took me a minute to deprogram myself from these bad habits but I did. In turn the concept of accepting the premise as true kinda clicked for me. I've begun to get some of the best and most solid scores during all of my prep In lr, which has been a little while. I'm talking -2,-3,-4, ranges I've found that truely understanding the core as it relates to the given premise help you to eliminate answers faster and more efficiently. So I'm just wondering if I'm on the right approach with that thinking? i know you have to be careful with this because answers sometimes only boost the premise in certain situations, and don't address the conclusion, which ultimately every right answer has to do, but it's like understanding what it means for the premise to be valid narrows the world down to a few answers.

justdoit11

New

Re: Eliminating quickly and effectively on LR

Post by justdoit11 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:49 am

Im no expert on the LSAT, but you are on the right track. You always have to accept the stimulus as true, which means you accept the premise and the conclusion as true. 85% of LR questions ask you to do something to the ARGUMENT (i.e. strengthen the argument, weaken the argument, find the flaw in the argument). This means you find whatever answer choice that strengthens/weakens the relationship of the premise to the main conclusion. All of the arguments will have a missing assumption and its your job to basically strengthen, weaken the connection from the support to the conclusion using the assumption. (Im using strengthen and weak as examples). You always need to keep in mind the core since wrong answer choices can trick you into thinking they are right by coming in the form of boosting only your premise, or giving more info about other statements in the stimulus that are not part of the argument, etc.

You did something right! and Manhattan LR did teach that so your approach is on track.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”