LG abysmal -9 what should I do? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Psingh

New

LG abysmal -9 what should I do?

Post by Psingh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:41 am

LG was my weakest point from the start. I couldn't even get 2 games done in 35 minutes. After a few months of study I've been doing a few prep tests and I am able to finish only 3 games. From those 3 games I also get like 1 or 2 answers wrong. On my last PT, I surprisingly got 85% right on RC (I'm really happy about this), 75% right on LR and like 65% on LG.

Should I exclusively work on LG for like a month so it "catches up" to my other sections? Also how should I go about doing this? Just print LGs starting from PT 1 and do like 6 LG sections as a full exam, then go over them? I'm taking the June exam and I really need to improve on my accuracy and speed on LG. How realistic is it to go from like -15 on your diagnostic to -2 on test day?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Re: LG abysmal -9 what should I do?

Post by Brettanomyces » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:49 am

Psingh wrote:LG was my weakest point from the start. I couldn't even get 2 games done in 35 minutes. After a few months of study I've been doing a few prep tests and I am able to finish only 3 games. From those 3 games I also get like 1 or 2 answers wrong. On my last PT, I surprisingly got 85% right on RC (I'm really happy about this), 75% right on LR and like 65% on LG.

Should I exclusively work on LG for like a month so it "catches up" to my other sections? Also how should I go about doing this? Just print LGs starting from PT 1 and do like 6 LG sections as a full exam, then go over them? I'm taking the June exam and I really need to improve on my accuracy and speed on LG. How realistic is it to go from like -15 on your diagnostic to -2 on test day?
It's certainly not impossible--I made a similar jump.

What resources are you using? Have you gone through a book or two? Have you used 7sage?

Psingh

New

Post by Psingh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:58 am

Brettanomyces wrote:
Psingh wrote:LG was my weakest point from the start. I couldn't even get 2 games done in 35 minutes. After a few months of study I've been doing a few prep tests and I am able to finish only 3 games. From those 3 games I also get like 1 or 2 answers wrong. On my last PT, I surprisingly got 85% right on RC (I'm really happy about this), 75% right on LR and like 65% on LG.

What resources are you using? Have you gone through a book or two? Have you used 7sage?
I started by going through the LG Bibles which I honestly think was a huge waste of time both for LR and LG. If I could do it again I would not bother with those books. So time consuming with little actual gains. Now for LG I just do the games and if I need help I watch the 7sage videos.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am

Psingh wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

I started by going through the LG Bibles which I honestly think was a huge waste of time both for LR and LG. If I could do it again I would not bother with those books. So time consuming with little actual gains. Now for LG I just do the games and if I need help I watch the 7sage videos.
Hmmm. Well, have you tried Manhattan? Or the LSAT Trainer?
Both were invaluable to me. That, along with 7sage, allowed me to sharpen my LG skills.
I did review the Powerscore LG Bible first, though. I thought it was good as a start-off point, but nowhere as helpful as MLG or the Trainer. Maybe you can try those?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 am

Psingh wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

This is why you are stuck in the 150s score range. You didn't learn and adopt the effective strategies presented in the books.

If you don't dedicate a large amount of prep time learning how to use the tools and practicing them in slow motion to get good at applying them you'll never see the benefits. Lots of slow motion practice with the various strategies is critical to develop efficient reliable strategies of attack into habits that come out under timed conditions.

Sounds like you are mostly brute forcing the sections rather than having specific step by step approaches and strategies that you follow per question/game type. If you want to see significant improvement, you must learn and adapt good systematic approaches/strategies for each of the question/game types so you attack them properly under timed conditions on test day with the right burnt in instincts/LSAT habits. Repetitive practice of specific strategies with tons of careful review for fine tuning is the only way to develop good skills/habits.

Maybe the way the PS bibles present the concepts and strategies wasn't the best for your learning style. Many people find them really helpful but others have trouble implementing everything properly since a lot of it is presented in very technical ways. You could try books from a different company to see if a different style of presentation of the concepts and strategies clicks with you better. The LSAT Trainer is written in a really user friendly way with how it presents/describes the 'how to' part of the strategies a bit more specifically for hands on application than other books.

However you do it, you need to develop good systems of question/game type specific strategies/approaches for both LG and LR sections to improve your understanding and relevant skills to increase your accuracy level. You build these skills and knowledge from drilling questions/games by type with deep thorough review every step of the way to make sure you are attacking each type of question with the proper mindset and strategies for that specific type instead of just running with a general fight it out brute force with however you react to each question as you go fairly unguided approach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”