The Official December 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PhilipBanks

New

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Post by PhilipBanks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Checking in, been lurking for a while...

The RC section has really been an achilles heel to me due to timing issues as of late. To combat this, I've been doing individual passages and giving myself 7 min to finish... Needless to say it worked. On my PT this morning I finished my section with 5 min to spare! (Couldn't believe it)

Just thought I'd pass the idea along to any others who might have the same issue.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 pm

PhilipBanks wrote:Checking in, been lurking for a while...

The RC section has really been an achilles heel to me due to timing issues as of late. To combat this, I've been doing individual passages and giving myself 7 min to finish... Needless to say it worked. On my PT this morning I finished my section with 5 min to spare! (Couldn't believe it)

Just thought I'd pass the idea along to any others who might have the same issue.
How was your accuracy?

PhilipBanks

New

Post by PhilipBanks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:

How was your accuracy?
Missed 3 on the section, which ties my best on it.
Still hoping to improve on it a little by test day, of course.

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

PhilipBanks wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

How was your accuracy?
That's awesome, congrats. On my last prep test I finished RC with 2-3 minutes to spare, but dropped 6 questions. Overall, RC has always given me trouble so I may try out your strategy to push the pace after I work on accuracy. Thanks for sharing

PhilipBanks

New

Post by PhilipBanks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:41 pm

m27 wrote:
PhilipBanks wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

How was your accuracy?
That's awesome, congrats. On my last prep test I finished RC with 2-3 minutes to spare, but dropped 6 questions. Overall, RC has always given me trouble so I may try out your strategy to push the pace after I work on accuracy. Thanks for sharing
My pleasure! I've found loads of good information on here so just wanted to throw in what I had to offer haha.

I feel ya on the RC struggles, hope the strategy can help you out!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Gotta keep that RC strategy in mind! That said questions for y'all.

I've been doing some drilling/review a bit the past few days—LG from 39, game 2 got me; 41 and 42...the circle game got me too, definitely need to review—and working through the LSAT Trainer. I'm taking my first timed PT in a while tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, possibly both but trying to be really careful about balancing going balls out for the next 4 weeks and doing too much too quick and getting burned out.

My previous high was a 169 but I started in the low 140s so no idea where this PT is going to be but already noticing with drilling there are still some question types I never learned how to attack which I plan to remedy as I finish the Trainer by the 18th (also using PTs 52-56 broken up to drill with). I also want to get at least 4 PTs in while I'm finishing it, in addition to drilling sections/by type where I notice it, and a day for heavy LG review/rare games.

After I'm done with the trainer I'm going to take PTs 57-73.

1.) I've seen talk about not just taking them straight through like that but how should I stagger them?

2.) More importantly, in addition to 57-73, which other 4 PTs should I take before the 18th?
Last edited by jw316 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 pm

jw316 wrote:Gotta keep that RC strategy in mind! That said question for y'all.

I've been doing some drilling/review a bit the past few days—LG from 39, game 2 got me; 41 and 42...the circle game got me too, definitely need to review—and working through the LSAT Trainer. I'm taking my first timed PT in a while tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, possibly both but trying to be really careful about balancing going balls out for the next 4 weeks and doing too much too quick and getting burned out.

My previous high was a 169 but I started in the low 140s so no idea where this PT is going to be but already noticing with drilling there are still some question types I never learned how to attack which I plan to remedy as I finish the Trainer by the 18th (also using PTs 52-56 broken up to drill with). I also want to get at least 4 PTs in while I'm finishing it, in addition to drilling sections/by type where I notice it, and a day for heavy LG review/rare games.

After I'm done with the trainer I'm going to take PTs 57-73. I've seen talk about not just taking them straight through like that but how should I stagger them?

* More importantly, which other 4 PTs should I take before the 18th?
I would save 72 and 73 for the final two weeks. 72 was known to have that tricky LG and most recently 73 to be seemingly-easy-but did worse than expected.

But def mix in mid and high 60's into the 57-64's.

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Wait this is so awesome. So you just set yourself a time of 7 minutes for individual passages and forced yourself to finish it in that time? Sorry if that's an obvious question but I'm really intrigued haha

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:10 pm

mist4bison wrote:
koala-fy wrote:

Wait this is so awesome. So you just set yourself a time of 7 minutes for individual passages and forced yourself to finish it in that time? Sorry if that's an obvious question but I'm really intrigued haha
My TM instructor does this when we do RC sections and it really helps, actually. You basically really concentrate in order to get through it, just like oyu would if you had 7 mins left at the end of the exam and one whole passage. You should try it. MY only issue, personally, is translating it into a timed section, since I'm obviously not using a timer that will go off every 7 mins.
Yes I'll definitely have to try it. Thank you so much!!

j907

New

Post by j907 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote: I know there was a useful section in the Bible about the all/some/most "train." I don't find it particularly useful to diagram these, aside from noting which kind of qualifiers are used, since the answer choice will reflect a parallel in that sense. So, if the stimulus says "Some x's blah blah y," I know the answer choice cannot be "Most" or "All" x's blah blah y.

ETA: Goes without saying that everyone should do whatever they are most comfortable with. As a philosophy major, I'm all too familiar with formal logic, so I can do a lot of it in my head. It definitely helps to drill the Conditional Reasoning packet and do the diagramming for those even if you don't need to. I like to check my work against the Manhattan LSAT forums just to make sure my diagrams are accurate. Once I built that foundation and was confident with my diagramming, I just carried it all in my head because it saves time.
Ah that makes sense. Coming in with essentially zero knowledge of logic, even learning how to diagram was a huge feat in itself.
As a fellow BP student, even I wonder if they put too much emphasis on diagramming LR questions. There are certain questions where it's unavoidable, but I think one can get through most of LR without it. And thank you for tips to improve LR timing, hoping to do better on my next prep test :)

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:55 am

Shakawkaw wrote:

How was your accuracy?
quit trying to be helpful

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 am

j907 wrote: I wonder if they put too much emphasis on diagramming LR questions.
LJL @ diagramming LR questions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:06 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Quit tryna be helpful

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:08 am

Shakawkaw wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Quit tryna be helpful
gotta stop ppl from doing stupid things

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:19 am

I just deactivated FB!!

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:11 am

mornin y'all, up, got my workout in, about to start PT64 in a little, got a busy day so won't get to BR till tm... hoping for the best

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:32 am

nlee10 wrote:I just deactivated FB!!
Add me, nlee.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 am

Shakawkaw wrote:
Add me, nlee.
After dec 6 :wink:

4 weeks countdown begins today. :shock:

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 am

nlee10 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Add me, nlee.
After dec 6 :wink:

4 weeks countdown begins today. :shock:
Yeah, that 4 week countdown ain't no joke. I sort of hyperventilated this morning. Plan for today is to do LG section (timed), 2 RC sections (timed, will try the 7 min per passage tip because RC still gets me). Gunna keep drilling the packets until I'm up to LVL 4s, almost there!

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 am

jw316 wrote:Gotta keep that RC strategy in mind! That said questions for y'all.

After I'm done with the trainer I'm going to take PTs 57-73.

1.) I've seen talk about not just taking them straight through like that but how should I stagger them?

2.) More importantly, in addition to 57-73, which other 4 PTs should I take before the 18th?
Just did some cardio, bout to get mah protein in and make PT 51 my bitch (and BR) before football. Still curious which other 3 PTs I should take before the 18th and how I should stagger 57-73 (57, 58, 65, 63, 59, 67, etc.?)—or does it really not matter?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:58 am

jw316 wrote:Still curious which other 3 PTs I should take before the 18th and how I should stagger 57-73 (57, 58, 65, 63, 59, 67, etc.?)—or does it really not matter?
Order doesn't matter, just make sure you're mixing up the older ones with the later ones. I'm following quality over quantity this time around, so I can't advise re: which tests you should be taking.

Wieters

Bronze

Post by Wieters » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:14 pm

I've found that to be pointless because you can reactivate in less than a minute.

This takes awhile, but here's a protip if you're really serious: go to your list of friends/likes and unfollow each of them. This has to be done individually, but the result is that your newsfeed is totally blank because the way Facebook is configured is such that you are actually following each friend/page on your newsfeed. There is a strong disincentive to refollow each because of the time needed, and further your profile is still active so that you can receive messages and posts on your wall.

I tried to upload here a picture of what Facebook looks like when I log in but couldn't figure out how. Basically your front page is the same as it has always been, except where your newsfeed was is blank except for a message that says "No posts to show."

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Wieters wrote:go to your list of friends/likes and unfollow each of them. This has to be done individually
This is a ridiculous waste of a valuable resource: time. I would rather deactivate it and go on for maybe 5 minutes during a FB lapse, versus spending hours unfollowing every friend on my list. What's the point of even having a Facebook at that point?

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Wieters wrote:go to your list of friends/likes and unfollow each of them. This has to be done individually
This is a ridiculous waste of a valuable resource: time. I would rather deactivate it and go on for maybe 5 minutes during a FB lapse, versus spending hours unfollowing every friend on my list. What's the point of even having a Facebook at that point?
haha. There will be no FB lapse for me now that I have TLS. :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”