The Official December 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jw316

Silver

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Post by jw316 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I know how LG and RC should go (and it's very clear to me when I'm going to get something wrong) but can someone take me through their process for LR? Like what's going on in your head 1.) as you're answering a question and 2.) going between them?

That's the section I definitely seem to have trouble with but for whatever reason when I was drilling them untimed during prep I was making few mistakes and even now when I do them untimed during BR I still seem to get more of them right (as seen in the difference in scores).

Took PT 59 this morning and I finally finished every section in time but had to rush and guess on too many questions so I'm still trying to sort out my timing/pacing issues for Saturday.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
santoki wrote:ive been on a hiatus for a video game that i play, and a big update for the game is coming on december 8, when i plan on playing again.

if this isnt fate i dont know what is
Which game?

ETA: Talking about LG's here right? :D
game by blizzard called hearthstone

im also finally able to use my ps4 that has been pretty much my roommates' for a year while i studied. dont even know why i bought it

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 pm

santoki wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
santoki wrote:ive been on a hiatus for a video game that i play, and a big update for the game is coming on december 8, when i plan on playing again.

Which game?

im also finally able to use my ps4 that has been pretty much my roommates' for a year while i studied. dont even know why i bought it
Video games were my weakness back in the day. For a time they consumed my soul. I had to go cold turkey. Sounds like you are better at exercising restraint though seeing as you have not touched the PS4. I applaud your efforts!

some1uknown

New

Post by some1uknown » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 pm

how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Good luck, December folks!! Get lots of sleep this week, don't push yourselves too hard, take deep breaths and know you've done your best.

Luv u, Rigo. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

KanGaHru wrote:
santoki wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

Which game?

Video games were my weakness back in the day. For a time they consumed my soul. I had to go cold turkey. Sounds like you are better at exercising restraint though seeing as you have not touched the PS4. I applaud your efforts!
thanks! it aint ez...anticipating gaming freedom as much as PT74 itself

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:39 pm

jw316 wrote:I know how LG and RC should go (and it's very clear to me when I'm going to get something wrong) but can someone take me through their process for LR? Like what's going on in your head 1.) as you're answering a question and 2.) going between them?

That's the section I definitely seem to have trouble with but for whatever reason when I was drilling them untimed during prep I was making few mistakes and even now when I do them untimed during BR I still seem to get more of them right (as seen in the difference in scores).

Took PT 59 this morning and I finally finished every section in time but had to rush and guess on too many questions so I'm still trying to sort out my timing/pacing issues for Saturday.
what do you mean by "what's going on in your head"?

1) you read the stem to see what kind of question it is and then you attack it just like you've been doing during drills. 2) really not sure what you mean there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Rigo - I've noticed that when I look at your tar I take deep breaths in tandem with it. It's relaxing. Lol

monadologist

Bronze

Post by monadologist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Did PT70 today

LR1 (-3)
RC (-8)!!
LG (-1)
LR2 (-2)

LSAT is like whack a mole, gain mastery of one section and lose control of it the next PT. RC was my best section and now it is my worst on this one. The one point I lost in LG was in the first game. I find that if I get a very easy basic linear game I manage to mess it up by rushing through it.

MEAhrnsbrak

Bronze

Post by MEAhrnsbrak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Dirigo wrote:
some1uknown wrote:how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.
Full PT either tomorrow or Thursday.
Thinking about doing 2 sections the other two days to add up to a full PT.
A lot of LG everyday. I can't afford to not ace that section.
Some very light LR & RC drilling.
Same. I'm going to go through as many LGs between now and Saturday to make sure that's a guaranteed -0. Then I'm going to drill regularly tomorrow and Thursday, but Friday nothing! I'm relaxing Friday and making sure I am fresh and ready to go on Saturday!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:37 pm

some1uknown wrote:how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.
gunna redo PT 73 everyday until I get a 180. no br in between administrations. i will only grade all 3 versions on friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm

okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

how do you attack rule substitution on LG?

its the only thing that might hit me for a loss on LG (or so i hope)

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 pm

I will be taking PT 70 tomorrow and then its a 2 day rest until test day....I actually find I do my best tests after taking long rests.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

santoki wrote:okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

If you haven't already, I would watch JY's videos to see how he attacks the questions. He usually suggests skipping it and coming back to it, but I find that this approach, for me at least, either leaves me with no time left to answer it, or I forget until the very last minute and rush/guess.

You look at your original diagram and make a separate diagram eliminating the rule the question tells you to. Go through each answer choice and add it to your amended rule. If it makes connections/inferences that differ categorically from your original, it's wrong. For example:

Original: X-Y-Z
Remove: Y-Z
Amended diagram: X-Y
AC: Z is before Y.
Amended AC diagram: X + Z>Y

While this is a very simple example, it's clear that this answer choice is incorrect because it contradicts the original diagram, where X and Y are before Z.
Last edited by Shakawkaw on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

I don't always get these right - I missed one the other day, actually - but I usually do JY's "sneak-in" versus "knock-out" method. So I look if it blatantly knocks out some world that is obviously allowed with the original rule. That's usually pretty easy. Then for "sneak-in" I look if it's possible, under this new rule, to come up with a new world that wasn't allowed previously. Like, I follow the "new" set of rules and see if something is now possible that was not allowed before. I usually do this pretty quickly - like JY says, it's not worth sinking time into. If I have time I go back and do it more thoroughly, but I usually have a pretty good feel through a first pass looking for these two possible issues.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

^ yes, this!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 pm

yup. if it creates a new world, im like oh god, no. its the ones where i don't see the new world or it's barely sneaking in its like merrr

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 pm

So I scored way below my average on PT73, I am very depressed about it but I plan to learn as much as possible from PT72 (I scored close to my average on that PT) and PT73. FYI PT72 S3 Q11 and PT73 S2 Q18 is the same flaw type, I missed it on PT72 and learned my lesson. I plan to review those two PTs over and over again until Saturday. Also, if I don't get -0 on LG I'm screwed, I plan to drill LG until my eyes bleed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:58 pm

koala-fy wrote:

I don't always get these right - I missed one the other day, actually - but I usually do JY's "sneak-in" versus "knock-out" method. So I look if it blatantly knocks out some world that is obviously allowed with the original rule. That's usually pretty easy. Then for "sneak-in" I look if it's possible, under this new rule, to come up with a new world that wasn't allowed previously. Like, I follow the "new" set of rules and see if something is now possible that was not allowed before. I usually do this pretty quickly - like JY says, it's not worth sinking time into. If I have time I go back and do it more thoroughly, but I usually have a pretty good feel through a first pass looking for these two possible issues.
thanks for the responses-

yeah i saw this in JYs vids, but the sneak-in method takes some getting used to in my opinion. it can end up consuming a considerable amount of time, so im hoping to be able to complete everything else quickly enough to get there.

whats the chance we dont see any of these? >.>

0%.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 pm

its weird, ive seen some subs that were real easy just to see. pt69 had a sub in game 3 which was super easy if you had scenarios. then again, some are just weird when they are straight up ordering.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:05 pm

So who else is excited to have reintroduce alcohol into their systems on Saturday?

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:08 pm

i am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”