February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
unodostres

Silver

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:47 pm

For sure. If I need to go over 4 I just split my day.

Actually, let me rephrase. I think 8 hours nonstop is crazy! I do a 4 hour pt then break for 3 hours then do a 3 hour review. So 8 is not off.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm

unodostres wrote:For sure. If I need to go over 4 I just split my day.

Actually, let me rephrase. I think 8 hours nonstop is crazy! I do a 4 hour pt then break for 3 hours then do a 3 hour review. So 8 is not off.
Well thats what I'm doing…I'm finishing up my flaw questions…then lunch break…going back to my weaken snack break…back to my strengthening and reading comprehension…then dinner break…and last PT then review.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Ya, that's what I figured. I was thinking of law school students sitting in the library. Hahaha

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Flaw bundle or PT15-S3-Q19

I Don't see how A is correct over C :oops: This is one of those-i don't see how this is the correct answer, and why C is wrong.

Zhenders, help please :mrgreen:

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:20 pm

On break for PT65; it feels really good so far! Shooting for that 180. I think I have a shot this test.
random number wrote:
alecks wrote: I'm basically out of fresh PTs except for 70 and 44 seemed very unfamiliar... I've exhausted most of the 50s and 60s tests so I'm just looking for unfamiliarity at this point. I've been studying for a while (5 months) :shock:

think it's no bueno since it's not very recent?
I think you'll be O.K., as the benefits of unfamiliarity outweigh the minor differences between the old and new tests IMHO. This is assuming that you aren't really struggling with comparative reading (test 50ish onward).
+1
Miracle wrote:Flaw bundle or PT15-S3-Q19

I Don't see how A is correct over C :oops: This is one of those-i don't see how this is the correct answer, and why C is wrong.

I don't have that PT with me right now, sorry! But if you still aren't sure later today, I'll definitely post an explanation for you -- it just won't be before about 3'oclock central time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I think you'll hit the 180, Zhenders!

I reviewed it and thought I should have been in the 170's.

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:
I decided to stop PTing RC sections. I have done 10 PT's in last 2 weeks and found that my score for RC is between -4 and -10 (with the one -18 random). There is no improvement or consistency to how I score, just luck on the type of passage and there not being one about art.
I suck at the art passages as well

my reading comp is all over the place too. I've always been a detailed person when it comes to reading so if I don't understand a key word or phrase I tend to go back and reread it. Unfortunately there's not time to do that on the test
Exactly how I feel. Unfortunately that is the one section that I just cannot improve. The only technique I use though that has helped 100% of the time is skipping questions. Generally there are 4-6 questions that you can just re read passage and find exact citations for. If I skip questions that I know I may not get correct and spend time on for sure getting these right my score always goes up.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

It almost happened; no complaints, except -- LG, damn you.

LR1: -0
LG: -2
RC: -1
LR: -1

-4/179.

My highest out of almost 30 PT's. Happy Zac.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm

yeeeaaaa, i am jelly.

gg brosif. keep on keepin' on.

where are you looking to apply btw?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 pm

zhenders wrote:It almost happened; no complaints, except -- LG, damn you.

-4/179.

Congratulations! You are the champion! :mrgreen:
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 pm

-4/179.

Nice score! What PT?

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm

-4/179.

Yale.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Gonna put in like 8-10 hours this Saturday to make up for the fact that I took yesterday, and possible today off from being sick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Just made my LSN profile. It is BankruptMe if anyone wants to see it.

Anyway, just saw that some URM's got GULC with 159-165 (my top choice) with my GPA.

It is time to study. Lets do it.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:36 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Just made my LSN profile. It is BankruptMe if anyone wants to see it.

Anyway, just saw that some URM's got GULC with 159-165 (my top choice) with my GPA.

It is time to study. Lets do it.
This one guy got a half ride to LA with a 163 and lower GPA than me.

I'd take 2/3 at USC with a 163, though.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Next cycle applicants, what's the lowest score you wouldn't retake?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Miracle, I'm home -- I'll check out that question in just a few minutes :)

Turns out I miss-bubbled one on that PT (65) so I missed out on 180 for a bubbling error :-P

I know I want HYS (ESP. Y) but my GPA isn't up to Yale-snuff -- pretty low odds even with a perfect LSAT -- and that is far from guaranteed :-) it's awesome to hit it on a PT, but it's all about game day, right? :-)
xylocarp wrote:Next cycle applicants, what's the lowest score you wouldn't retake?
Been thinking hard about this -- I think I will retake 174 or below. I'm happy with a 174, no doubt -- but for HYS, 1 or 2 more points can take you from a less than 40% chance to a better than 80% chance -- so I think it would still be worth it.

That said, if I hit 174, I am gonna celebrate like a crazy man, even IF I retake afterwards.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

xylocarp wrote:Next cycle applicants, what's the lowest score you wouldn't retake?
I have a base level school I am looking at, not so much a score. If I do not get in there, then I will retake.

I want to go next year, however,, I could just man up and stay in this middle of nowhere place for one more year, get my MA and then reapply for 2015. It would probably set myself up for a T14 anyway

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

166/167 depends tho on how well I do on LG.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm

90convoy wrote:
166/167 depends tho on how well I do on LG.
Same here on the LG part. Sucks that we won't know for sure, damn February test

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:09 pm

For LG, do you do a bunch of little sketches or one master sketch? and why?

I usually do a bunch of little ones. Realizing I can mess up like this

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

BankruptMe wrote:For LG, do you do a bunch of little sketches or one master sketch? and why?

I guess I have an opinion on this; first off, because all of the actual tests for the forseeable future will have 1 game for every 2 pages (LOADS of room), I think it's practical to do both. Before this, I might have recommended only using one main game board unless the game happens to have lots of white space (unlikely in PT's 57-65).

With that said, because you will absolutely be taking a real test with loads of white space, you can feel justified in using scratch paper during your PT'ing -- and because there's plenty of room, I say do both, as necessary. ALWAYS draw a main game board that you apply all of your global rules to. As needed though, feel free to draw question-specific game boards when local rules show up.

The biggest thing is, don't mess with your master game board. If you can anwer all of the questions quickly and in your head using just it, then hell yeah, you're a badass and keep it up. But I think most people find that local-rule game boards are super helpful :)

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm

BankruptMe wrote:For LG, do you do a bunch of little sketches or one master sketch? and why?

I feel like on the newer games (66+) it's easier if you make a couple sub boards. Sometimes it makes the games super easy.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Miracle wrote:Flaw bundle or PT15-S3-Q19

Okay, here we go: PT15-S3-Q19.

So we're looking for the flaw in the reasoning. This is a tricky flaw question, because flaw questions rarely turn up on "conversation" questions. Luckily, Althea's statement points out that there is a logical flaw, and kind of refers back to it.

So Thomas' argument is that the club president had no right to disallow Jeffrey's vote, because the club rules say that only members in good standing can vote. The flaw is actually right here: the club rules say that only members in good standing can vote -- not that all members in good standing can vote. Put into standard LSAT terms, it is a necessary condition of voting that the member is in good standing, but not sufficient.

So that's the flaw; let's go to the answers. If we're only torn between A and C, we'll just look at those.

A ends up being right, because -- using different words, granted -- it gets at the flaw the best. Thomas is arguing that because the club rules don't prohibit Jeffrey from voting, he should be allowed to. However, he fails to take into account that there may be some other reason that justifies his not being allowed to vote. Thus, A.

C ends up being wrong -- even though it kind of feels right -- because it focuses on the wrong thing. The central issue here is Jeffrey's right to vote. Answer choice C, on the other hand, is talking about the fact that the club president admitted that the club rules define good standing a particular way. If we refer back to the flaw, though, we can see that the problem isn't that Jeffrey isn't in good standing -- perhaps he is! -- the issue is that being in good standing is not sufficient to guarantee a club member's right to vote.

Hope that helps :)

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:39 pm

This may be a stupid question..

But in LG, there is only one correct answer, right? It isnt like LR where there could be 2 possible right answers that sound right?

I ask this because I am working though a game. If I work through everything I have done, and A meets the requirements, I am scared to just mark A and not even look at the rest :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”