Just a random question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Kimikho

Gold

Just a random question

Post by Kimikho » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Re: Just a random question

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Not sure about the comparative passages part, but I don't remember any warning when they split LG to 2 pages per game.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 pm

Well, according to http://lsatcomparativereading.wordpress ... g-material, the LSAC reported on February 13, 2007 that it would introduce comparative reading, and it was introduced on the June test administration of that year. This was a notice period of about four months.

I think in anticipation of the way people react to uncertainty and shock, the LSAC would probably find it de rigueur to publicize significant changes to test questions; after all, you don't want scores reflecting anything else but the degree to which the test taker has LR, AR and RC skills. Psychometrics is difficult as it is.
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Not sure about the comparative passages part, but I don't remember any warning when they split LG to 2 pages per game.
I don't think this really required a warning. Although when I took my SATs, I remember the guy behind me freaking out that the lines separating the questions were — in sharp contrast to the pattern until then — not connecting with each other, but merely long enough to sufficiently separate the questions. Just goes to show, anything can freak you out on test day.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm

scoobers wrote:Bored at work, and curious.
How were the passages tested--were they in experimental sections under threat of death if people talked about them, or were they all taken from the GRE or something? I mean, how would they be in experimental sections?
Hmm. Page 54 of SuperPrep provides a Comparative Reading sample set, which was "administered in field test trials in 2003." Who were the subjects in these super-secret covert field test trials? I like to imagine the LSAC rounding up college seniors in a van after dark, taking them to some dingy basement, and forcing them to do comparative reading.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:36 pm

neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:Bored at work, and curious.
How were the passages tested--were they in experimental sections under threat of death if people talked about them, or were they all taken from the GRE or something? I mean, how would they be in experimental sections?
Hmm, Page 54 of SuperPrep provides a Comparative Reading sample set which was "administered in field test trials in 2003." Who were the subjects in these super-secret covert field test trials? I like to imagine the LSAC rounding up college seniors in a van after dark, taking them to some dingy basement, and forcing them to do comparative reading.
i lol'ed at this ^^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:59 pm

When LSAC field-tested a listening section a few years ago, they used people that were registered for the LSAT. Do the field test, take the LSAT for free. No, the listening section isn't going to be on the test. As far as the comp passage stuff, LSAC released the field test passages so they could be used to prep for the June 2007 test.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

Comparative Reading - pre-announced
LG split to 2 pages - formally announced after the first time

Bratva

New

Post by Bratva » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 am

how are the logic games split to 2 pages? is it that the stem is on one page and the questions on another or some questions are still on the first page but some are on the second page...?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 am

Bratva wrote:how are the logic games split to 2 pages? is it that the stem is on one page and the questions on another or some questions are still on the first page but some are on the second page...?
The stimulus for the game with the rules, conditions, etc. is on the first page along with the first question, typically a list question. The rest of the questions are on the next page.
At least 75% of each page is blank space so you have plenty of space to diagram stuff for the set-up and for question specific work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bratva

New

Post by Bratva » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 am

Jeffort wrote:
Bratva wrote:how are the logic games split to 2 pages? is it that the stem is on one page and the questions on another or some questions are still on the first page but some are on the second page...?
The stimulus for the game with the rules, conditions, etc. is on the first page along with the first question, typically a list question. The rest of the questions are on the next page.
At least 75% of each page is blank space so you have plenty of space to diagram stuff for the set-up and for question specific work.
thanks! very helpful cause now i have to practice according to the new format.
it'd still be a bit annoying cause i'm already used to going back to the conditions occasionally when doing the questions.... garhhh why would they do this...just to have more space to diagram?

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 am

Bratva wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
it'd still be a bit annoying cause i'm already used to going back to the conditions occasionally when doing the questions.... garhhh why would they do this...just to have more space to diagram?
I'm pretty sure it's split on two pages that are adjacent to each other: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bu-dtCLfYZs/T ... ages++.png Courtesy LSATBlog.

Bratva

New

Post by Bratva » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 am

neprep wrote:
Bratva wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's split on two pages that are adjacent to each other: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bu-dtCLfYZs/T ... ages++.png Courtesy LSATBlog.
whewww. honestly that freaked me out a bit but thanks for the comforting link lol! thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”