RC PT16-S4-Q11 question discussion Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
melmoththewanderer

New

RC PT16-S4-Q11 question discussion

Post by melmoththewanderer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 pm

This passage is about United States Supreme Court and Native Americans. (And what legal passage isn't?)

I am very confused about this question, and I would like to generate some discussion.

The question asks why "accommodating" is used in line 10. My understanding of this question type is that you look for an answer that explains why the word in question ("accommodating") is used in the line in question (line 10).

So, my pre-phrase of this was that "accommodating" was used irreverently to suggest that SCOTUS was too accommodating to other interests and not attentive enough to Native American concerns. But in the larger context of the sentence in question (10-16), this is actually dismissed, and the author argues that SCOTUS has usually been beneficial to Native American interests.

This created a lot of ambiguity for me. Did the writers intend the meaning of the word in line 10 or the sentence as a whole? I ask because my response would change depending on the response. If they meant in local context of line 10, then I would choose letter B, because in line 10, the author suggests SCOTUS was not supportive enough. But if they meant the sentence as a whole, I would go with D, since that is the thrust of the sentence.

It turns out neither is correct. The only justification I could come up with for the credited response (C) is in lines 7-9, which does suggest a reason, but it is not why "accommodating" was used in line 10, since that information is given in lines 7-9. So, I don't buy this explanation.

My purpose here is to generate some discussion as to what thought process would lead me to the correct answer, and what thought processes could help eliminate the ambiguity I stated above.

Daily_Double

Silver

Re: RC PT16-S4-Q11 question discussion

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melmoththewanderer

New

Re: RC PT16-S4-Q11 question discussion

Post by melmoththewanderer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 am

Daily_Double wrote:Basically, at times the Court attempts to accommodate whatever is politically at issue, these decisions may not be based solely upon the principles of law, and though these decisions may not be resolved in a satisfactory manner to the Indians, judicial decisions must be assessed with this fact in mind.
I think what I missed here, was that it was "usually" (AKA not always) beneficial and that the "accommodating" nature refers to that gap of when it wasn't beneficial.

Thanks again, Daily Double, for another insightful post!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”