How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Is it possible?

Yes
8
53%
No
7
47%
 
Total votes: 15

lalalany

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby lalalany » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey guys,

There are tons of guides on TLS about how to get a 179, 180, etc...what I'm wondering is how to get ABOVE a 180. I know the LSAT is usually graded on a 120-180 scale, but I feel like if one just thinks outside the box a little, the sky's the limit. It's like, people told Einstein that he had to work within the framework of Newtonian physics, but then he went ahead and thought outside the box, discovering general relativity.

So this is my goal: 185.

Crazy, I know, but never say never!

The obstacle, as I see it, is thus: for every published LSAT, the scale has been 120-180. Even if you get the maximum raw score (all credited responses), that's still only a 180. Just as it is unlikely for pigs to start flying tomorrow, it is unlikely for LSAC to change this policy.

I'm thinking the best way to get a higher score than 180 might be through the writing sample. I know it doesn't add to your score right now, but what if you wrote a REALLY good essay? I got a perfect score (800) on the writing section of the SAT, so I feel like I could write a KILLER essay. Something really insightful, like the Great American Novel...but in 30 minutes. That would be pretty impressive.

Thoughts?

User avatar
t-14orbust

Gold
Posts: 2126
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 pm

You should stick to working really fking hard and cleverly.

lalalany

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby lalalany » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:29 pm


User avatar
Nova

Platinum
Posts: 9113
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Wtf

User avatar
guano

Gold
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 pm

lalalany wrote:Hey guys,

There are tons of guides on TLS about how to get a 179, 180, etc...what I'm wondering is how to get ABOVE a 180. I know the LSAT is usually graded on a 120-180 scale, but I feel like if one just thinks outside the box a little, the sky's the limit. It's like, people told Einstein that he had to work within the framework of Newtonian physics, but then he went ahead and thought outside the box, discovering general relativity.

So this is my goal: 185.

Crazy, I know, but never say never!

The obstacle, as I see it, is thus: for every published LSAT, the scale has been 120-180. Even if you get the maximum raw score (all credited responses), that's still only a 180. Just as it is unlikely for pigs to start flying tomorrow, it is unlikely for LSAC to change this policy.

I'm thinking the best way to get a higher score than 180 might be through the writing sample. I know it doesn't add to your score right now, but what if you wrote a REALLY good essay? I got a perfect score (800) on the writing section of the SAT, so I feel like I could write a KILLER essay. Something really insightful, like the Great American Novel...but in 30 minutes. That would be pretty impressive.

Thoughts?

I see you going -25 on all LR

User avatar
t-14orbust

Gold
Posts: 2126
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm

guano wrote:
lalalany wrote:Hey guys,

There are tons of guides on TLS about how to get a 179, 180, etc...what I'm wondering is how to get ABOVE a 180. I know the LSAT is usually graded on a 120-180 scale, but I feel like if one just thinks outside the box a little, the sky's the limit. It's like, people told Einstein that he had to work within the framework of Newtonian physics, but then he went ahead and thought outside the box, discovering general relativity.

So this is my goal: 185.

Crazy, I know, but never say never!

The obstacle, as I see it, is thus: for every published LSAT, the scale has been 120-180. Even if you get the maximum raw score (all credited responses), that's still only a 180. Just as it is unlikely for pigs to start flying tomorrow, it is unlikely for LSAC to change this policy.

I'm thinking the best way to get a higher score than 180 might be through the writing sample. I know it doesn't add to your score right now, but what if you wrote a REALLY good essay? I got a perfect score (800) on the writing section of the SAT, so I feel like I could write a KILLER essay. Something really insightful, like the Great American Novel...but in 30 minutes. That would be pretty impressive.

Thoughts?

I see you going -25 on all LR


If he tries hard enough I think he can go -30 on each LR section.

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:47 pm

115 troll

User avatar
ScottRiqui

Gold
Posts: 3637
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:115 troll


And not even very well thought-out. What's a 185 going to do for a school's 25th/median/75th numbers that a 180 wouldn't? Absolutely nothing.

lalalany

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby lalalany » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:39 pm

t-14orbust wrote:If he tries hard enough I think he can go -30 on each LR section.

That's the kind of outside-the-box thinking I'm talking about! Just turn that negativity into positivity and we'll all be on our ways to 185s.

User avatar
Typhoon24

Silver
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby Clearly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:58 pm

why exactly do you feel the need to come and post things like this?

User avatar
jselson

Platinum
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby jselson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

hephaestus

Gold
Posts: 2401
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby hephaestus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:36 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:115 troll

beautyistruth

Bronze
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby beautyistruth » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm

jselson wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.


+185

User avatar
06102016

Diamond
Posts: 13461
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby 06102016 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 pm

..

NYstate

Gold
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: How to get a 185 on the LSAT

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 am

I'm willing to admit the possibility that Einstein migh have come up with a way to make 185 on a test that only goes to 180.

But you are no Einstein. And neither is anyone else.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests