The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
charlesriver

New

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by charlesriver » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm

rebexness wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:
charlesriver wrote:Can someone help me to understand my performance? recently I've been scoring around 167. The tests i used are the newer ones (52-61). I used these tests several months before. Last weekend I did a completely new test (68) and scored 173. And today I did 59 (used), I scored 161.
I really don't understand.
To me, the 161 sounds like more of a fluke than the 173. Maybe you let your guard down because you had already taken it?
I wouldn't presume this at all. Assume every test is an accurate example of what you could see on test day.

What did you get on 59 the first time around?
I got 161 at the first try as well... does it mean anything in your opinion? I think you are probably right in another thread which you responded. This very test contains my weakness more than other does. I will take a closer look at it and see if i can dissect the problem and work on them.

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Argument core drills this afternoon. I was a bit frustrated getting 135/150 correct, as that's only 90% correct-- not good enough yet. A 10% rate of error might be ok today, but on test day it's not gonna fly. I did the drills in sets of 25-50 at a time and I kept a pretty consistent error rate of 10% in each set.

Strangely, when I timed myself I got through 9 questions in a minute and a half and every one of them was correct. Go figure. I also improved my performance over time. I just did a set of 25 with a little bourbon in my system and only missed one. Positive development, I say.
Last edited by Twitch on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 pm

Hello everyone.

Took a month off. Going to get back into it on Monday.

Looking at the applications... I want a 170. That is my goal. Whatever it takes.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 am

unodostres wrote:Hello everyone.

Looking at the applications... I want a 170. That is my goal. Whatever it takes.
Work hard and u will get there

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 am

Twitch wrote:Argument core drills this afternoon. I was a bit frustrated getting 135/150 correct, as that's only 90% correct-- not good enough yet. A 10% rate of error might be ok today, but on test day it's not gonna fly. I did the drills in sets of 25-50 at a time and I kept a pretty consistent error rate of 90% in each set.

Strangely, when I timed myself I got through 9 questions in a minute and a half and every one of them was correct. Go figure. I also improved my performance over time. I just did a set of 25 with a little bourbon in my system and only missed one. Positive development, I say.
Credited strategy right there with the bourbon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:40 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 am

Twitch wrote:Argument core drills this afternoon. I was a bit frustrated getting 135/150 correct, as that's only 90% correct-- not good enough yet. A 10% rate of error might be ok today, but on test day it's not gonna fly. I did the drills in sets of 25-50 at a time and I kept a pretty consistent error rate of 10% in each set.

:shock: 1:30 each, or 1:30 total? 1:30 total would put you on pace to finish the entire section in under 10 minutes. I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean 1:30 per question.

Also +1 on the bourbon as a credited strategy.

charlesriver

New

Post by charlesriver » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Looked into prep59. I find out, I think, my below average performance on this test can't be explained merely by coincidence. This one particularly has a lot of unfamiliar argument patten and language cue traps that misleads me. On top of that, there are a lot of inference questions that play on alluring switch of concepts and terms in reading comprehension. It is very easy to make a mistake when I rush to read due to time pressure. Inference questions that rely on reading comprehension have always been my weakness. Need to work on it. :evil:

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:42 pm

jk148706 wrote:
unodostres wrote:Hello everyone.

Work hard and u will get there
Thanks!

I've made big jumps but I need to stay consistent. Can't wait to work on RC.

Thank god I postponed from feb. Looks like games were a killer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:
Twitch wrote:Argument core drills this afternoon. I was a bit frustrated getting 135/150 correct, as that's only 90% correct-- not good enough yet. A 10% rate of error might be ok today, but on test day it's not gonna fly. I did the drills in sets of 25-50 at a time and I kept a pretty consistent error rate of 10% in each set.

:shock: 1:30 each, or 1:30 total? 1:30 total would put you on pace to finish the entire section in under 10 minutes. I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean 1:30 per question.

Also +1 on the bourbon as a credited strategy.
1:30 total.

I did a count-down drill in the Manhattan arcade. It wasn't answering whole questions, just identifying parts of the argument: "What information is used to support the main conclusion?" "What information is given as an opposing point to the main conclusion?" That sort of thing.

And I do love my Woodford Reserve.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm

LR review day is here! I haven't had one of these in a while. After mercilessly drilling/reviewing SA, NA, Flaw, and Principle questions, I am going to go back over all the stuff I've learned and review a ton of various question types today. In the next few days, I will make my way onto Strengthen/Weaken question types and thus I will have completed the assumption family Q types. The hardest part of LR will be done after that I suppose.

Erickt26

New

Post by Erickt26 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:54 pm

rebexness wrote:
Erickt26 wrote:Joining the group. Scored 155 december 2013 and retaking june.

I plan to hire a private tutor(10 hours) and purchase 7sage and use cambridge game package. I also have the LSAT trainer.

Any advice on how to schedule my daily study routine?
Why do you want a tutor?
How did you study before?

I took blueprint and 7sages. I think that I have some very specific weaknesses that I need a tutor with a high score to point and and teach me how to overcome. I am very serious about getting a 165+. I gave my two weeks notice at work and I am very excited to start again. Any positive advice please help, keep negative comments for yourself.

famousblueraincoat

New

Post by famousblueraincoat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Is it too early to make a September thread? I've decided to push my test date back. Hopefully I'll be in a better position to devote more time/energy to study in a few months.

Also: called LSAC and was told that September registration will open up the first week of May. Anyone wanting to change their test date (roughly $80 fee) will have to wait until registration for the next test date opens. This is cheaper than withdrawing completely, since you'd only get a $50 refund and be required to pay the full $186 for the next administration.

Good luck! Hope I don't see any of you in the September thread! Unless you're retaking your 178s for 180s :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dardardelight

New

Post by dardardelight » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Felt impatient today and decided to take my first full (4 section) timed LSAT (#46) , even though I've yet to really dive into RC prep . The score was encouraging, and I'm kind of excited to review it to see where I went wrong, which questions I had dumb luck with, and which questions I made dumb mistakes in.

RC: -5
LR: -6
LR: -4
LG: -3 Score: 163

I can only imagine how demoralizing it would be if I scored <160 on my next PT : / Hopefully, I'll keep this up and gradually get better.

Good Luck, Everybody!

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:Is it too early to make a September thread? I've decided to push my test date back. Hopefully I'll be in a better position to devote more time/energy to study in a few months.

[....]
Good luck! Hope I don't see any of you in the September thread! Unless you're retaking your 178s for 180s :D
I'm actually aiming for September, but the September thread (which already exists) is pretty quiet so far and I like the group in here, so I'm crashing.

Completed Manhattan chapter three today: sufficient and necessary assumptions. This is so basic and I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't completely grasped it before this point, despite having already completed a LR book. Though it was Kaplan, so maybe I get a pass?

Anyway, the SA/NA chapter pre-test was a slaughter. I did awfully. Took two days on the chapter because I felt I was reaching my information saturation point yesterday, and I'm so glad I did. I rocked the drill at the end of the chapter, only missing one of the drill questions, and felt almost completely confident in a topic that's been slippery for me for a while.

Taking my 4th PT tomorrow, hoping to finally hit 170.

Thought for the day: action, not emotion, is the instrument of achievement. We don't need to feel motivated or determined to slay this test, people. Not that that's bad, but emotion only carries you so far. We don't need to be expending emotion Desiring, because we are expending it Doing. Maybe I'm a little weird, but that's an empowering realization for me.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:21 pm

WHOOOOOO

drilled some ~mbt questions today... 28/30, and the two mistakes I made were idiocy on my part, one was an "except" question, the other I didn't read the stimulus closely enough.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Twitch wrote: Thought for the day: action, not emotion, is the instrument of achievement. We don't need to feel motivated or determined to slay this test, people. Not that that's bad, but emotion only carries you so far. We don't need to be expending emotion Desiring, because we are expending it Doing. Maybe I'm a little weird, but that's an empowering realization for me.
I like this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

confused_humpback

New

Post by confused_humpback » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Feeling pretty good today.

Second day on sufficient assumption drills. 14/15 correct and then spent 20 minutes breaking down and analyzing the question I missed.

Began studying Strengthen Q's. Read Steve Schwartz's relevant blog post and then the corresponding chapter in the LRB. Got 39/41 correct on my first attempt at (93%). My margin of error seems to hover around 7% for all the game types, though after two or three days of studying them I generally get it up to 100%, so the next thing is going to be working on timed LR sections.

Four more weeks left on the trainer. Thinking I should maybe do some overtime studying so I can get out of the trainer ASAP and jump right into timed drilling and doing full PT's.
Last edited by confused_humpback on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

confused_humpback

New

Post by confused_humpback » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Twitch wrote:Anyway, the SA/NA chapter pre-test was a slaughter. I did awfully. Took two days on the chapter because I felt I was reaching my information saturation point yesterday, and I'm so glad I did. I rocked the drill at the end of the chapter, only missing one of the drill questions, and felt almost completely confident in a topic that's been slippery for me for a while.
Tell me about it! My first foray into assumption questions ("There's no such thing as assumption questions" - Steve Schwartz :lol:) was a disaster. But that 'a-ha!' moment where I started owning them felt great.

arhoogie

New

Post by arhoogie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:18 pm

How do you guys retake PTs or sections of PTs? Do you erase what you've done, or scan them to keep a copy of your original work and then erase your work? I'm talking about PTs in book form, not ones from Cambridge or anything like that.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:29 pm

arhoogie wrote:How do you guys retake PTs or sections of PTs? Do you erase what you've done, or scan them to keep a copy of your original work and then erase your work? I'm talking about PTs in book form, not ones from Cambridge or anything like that.
Make copies of everything first.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arhoogie

New

Post by arhoogie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 pm

rebexness wrote:
arhoogie wrote:How do you guys retake PTs or sections of PTs? Do you erase what you've done, or scan them to keep a copy of your original work and then erase your work? I'm talking about PTs in book form, not ones from Cambridge or anything like that.
Make copies of everything first.
Wow why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Bosh

New

Post by Bosh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 am

Exactly a 100 days to June 09. Good luck everyone.

scottiescruff

New

Post by scottiescruff » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Checking-in

givemea180

New

Post by givemea180 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:10 pm

I feel like I was cheated out of a couple days of studying with February only having 28 days. This is what the LSAT has done to my mind

100 days to 173+ let's go

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”