The Official June 2014 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2014 Study Group

Post by Straw_Mandible » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

Thrilled to be checking back in!

I decided to make the push for June, but I may end up delaying until September.

Drilling everything hard this week, just to get back into the groove. Planning to take PT58 on Saturday.

Just an update:

I have been drilling RC sections for the past few weeks. I'm in the -6 area timed, and consistently -1/-0 blind review. Timing is tough, but I am going to devote 100% of my attention to pushing the pace and streamlining my process, and eventually I won't have to sacrifice any points for comprehension/accuracy.

172+ is the goal. Let's get there.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:48 am

agalfano wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
agalfano wrote:Sufficient Assumption level 3 and 4 kicked my butt today... not feeling too good about it :(
What do you mean by that, Agalfano? Are you hitting like 80 percent of them or like 50 percent?

I'd say more like 65%, but those SA questions for difficulty 3 and 4 were extremely difficult and I haven't drilled SA questions for awhile now... I just had a hard time with the jumbled stimulus being able to prephrase my answers, so I almost went into the answer choices expected nothing in particular. Some questions I felt a little bit rushed and I didn't even notate the conclusion or the support! I think I was just in a funk (hoping actually) and I need to get back and look over the basics and go over the steps for different types of questions
You know one thing that really helped me was understanding a few general rules that apply to most (not all) SA questions. Much of the time, SA questions are all about term shifts. Also, you can pretty much automatically eliminate wrong answers for a few reasons:
  • (1) Words like "some," "many," "most," etc. should signal danger unless the conclusion/premises use such terminology
    (2) When the conclusion has a new term, the answer choice has to have that new term. It is the only way to create sufficiency.
    (3) Understand the "direction of the arrow" as I call it. If the argument says something like "I don't like French toast and, therefore, i don't like French food," you need to realize that it is saying (~French toast → ~French food) so the correct answer choice will have (~French food) as the conclusion - the right side of the arrow. For example, an incorrect answer choice would be "If one doesn't like French food, one doesn't like French toast." This is because it reverses the arrow. You can pretty much automatically eliminate incorrect answer choice if it says anything like __________ → ~French toast or ~French food → __________. However, keep in mind that the contrapositive is also fair game. Thus, a correct answer could still be French food → French Toast, if you know what I mean.
Understanding how SA questions "work" will undoubtedly help you. These principles also apply in large part to principle questions. Much of the time, principle questions love to give you a misunderstanding of (3).

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:19 pm

thanks for the always helpful tips, WaltGrace! 8)

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Alright, I'm toast. I'm getting a bit burnt out.

I'll see you guys in a few days. Otherwise, no more LSAT stuff for me. My endurance and focus suck and I have a generally uncaring attitude right about now. Ciao!

agalfano

New

Post by agalfano » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
agalfano wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
agalfano wrote:Sufficient Assumption level 3 and 4 kicked my butt today... not feeling too good about it :(
What do you mean by that, Agalfano? Are you hitting like 80 percent of them or like 50 percent?

I'd say more like 65%, but those SA questions for difficulty 3 and 4 were extremely difficult and I haven't drilled SA questions for awhile now... I just had a hard time with the jumbled stimulus being able to prephrase my answers, so I almost went into the answer choices expected nothing in particular. Some questions I felt a little bit rushed and I didn't even notate the conclusion or the support! I think I was just in a funk (hoping actually) and I need to get back and look over the basics and go over the steps for different types of questions
You know one thing that really helped me was understanding a few general rules that apply to most (not all) SA questions. Much of the time, SA questions are all about term shifts. Also, you can pretty much automatically eliminate wrong answers for a few reasons:
  • (1) Words like "some," "many," "most," etc. should signal danger unless the conclusion/premises use such terminology
    (2) When the conclusion has a new term, the answer choice has to have that new term. It is the only way to create sufficiency.
    (3) Understand the "direction of the arrow" as I call it. If the argument says something like "I don't like French toast and, therefore, i don't like French food," you need to realize that it is saying (~French toast → ~French food) so the correct answer choice will have (~French food) as the conclusion - the right side of the arrow. For example, an incorrect answer choice would be "If one doesn't like French food, one doesn't like French toast." This is because it reverses the arrow. You can pretty much automatically eliminate incorrect answer choice if it says anything like __________ → ~French toast or ~French food → __________. However, keep in mind that the contrapositive is also fair game. Thus, a correct answer could still be French food → French Toast, if you know what I mean.
Understanding how SA questions "work" will undoubtedly help you. These principles also apply in large part to principle questions. Much of the time, principle questions love to give you a misunderstanding of (3).
Thank you very much WaltGrace! I just needed a quick few pointers to refresh me on them, I was hoping to not have to go through the manhattan book to review, but I may end up doing it anyways.. thank you though!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alansadler

New

Post by alansadler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Just got a 171 on PT 42 to follow up a 172 on PT 41.

LG: -0
LR: -1
RC: -4
LR: -5

A long weekend without much LSAT prep (and admittedly way too much drinking) may have put a dent in my endurance, because that last LR section is not too pretty, especially considering I had been sitting around a -2 average for LR. I also didn't take a full break between 3 and 4 which may have hurt a little too.

Either way, I'm happy with my current progress and would love to get/give feedback from anyone in about the same situation as me.

Also, does anyone have any RC recommendations? I've used PowerScore and 7sage for LG and LR and they've been a huge help, but I cant find anything that has really been able to help me improve off of -4/-5 in RC. I need to start doing better there in order to get where I want to be, and leave myself a slightly wider margin of error in LR/LG

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Alright, I'm toast. I'm getting a bit burnt out.

I'll see you guys in a few days. Otherwise, no more LSAT stuff for me. My endurance and focus suck and I have a generally uncaring attitude right about now. Ciao!
Dude, you're a machine. I got bored today and was looking over some stuff so I got on the manhattan forums. I noticed like every new post is by you, pretty solid explanations also. Hope you smash the lsat because you're definitely dedicated enough.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 am

Here's what the lsat looked like before 1991 so those on here can put things in perspective and realize it could be much worse.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED469242.pdf

Special thanks to Max324 for posting this a while back.

DMW723

New

Post by DMW723 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 am

Does anyone have any advice on getting back into the swing of things with Logic Games? I was getting consistent ~-1 to ~-3 around mid February on practice sections and took a break to focus on the Cambridge LR packets. Now I feel like that was a major mistake because as of right it's taking me around 10 minutes to complete a game, I don't feel like it's an issue with understanding but just endurance..

I've tried to start reading ACE The LSAT Logic Games but I keep getting discouraged and confused because the system seems so much different from Mike's in The LSAT Trainer. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Syncia

New

Post by Syncia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello everyone.
Check in.
I've taken the Feb Test and cancelled. When I found the first section is RC, I knew i was going to take next test...
Now I've got the Trainer and followed the 12 week schedule, which is quite detailed.
Hopefully, I can perform much better when the June comes. :D

tfinndogm

Bronze

Post by tfinndogm » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm

DMW723 wrote:. Now I feel like that was a major mistake because as of right it's taking me around 10 minutes to complete a game, I don't feel like it's an issue with understanding but just endurance..
I was crushing LGs until I decided to do some LR work... and now my brain doesn't even form complete thoughts on LGs. Sooo I'm looking for some advice too...

ALSO - does anyone else have a similar issue with going back through a PT before looking at the correct answers: I feel like every time I go back through a PT, my brain just wants to focus on the answer I picked the first go round, sometimes without even finishing the question stem... making it kinda hard to assess if I picked the right answer.

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 pm

tfinndogm wrote:
DMW723 wrote:. Now I feel like that was a major mistake because as of right it's taking me around 10 minutes to complete a game, I don't feel like it's an issue with understanding but just endurance..
I was crushing LGs until I decided to do some LR work... and now my brain doesn't even form complete thoughts on LGs. Sooo I'm looking for some advice too...

ALSO - does anyone else have a similar issue with going back through a PT before looking at the correct answers: I feel like every time I go back through a PT, my brain just wants to focus on the answer I picked the first go round, sometimes without even finishing the question stem... making it kinda hard to assess if I picked the right answer.
^Confirmation bias.

Got to eliminate that. Try blind reviewing questions that you feel anything but a 100% positive about. Just circle it as you go through the PT and come back to review it before checking your score.

I'd suggest you implement WaltGrace's credited method of writing out the core and why each answer is wrong/right before checking the answer. Target the flaw in your thought process, yo.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

givemea180

New

Post by givemea180 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:If there is a LR experimental, will it be 2 sections, or 1 section???
1 section

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:Jaylawyer,

I have a question for you. I know you did your drilling phase of LR by type from PT 1-40 twice over a break period. You obviously improved a ton by working really hard over this time frame. I know you mentioned that you drilled/studied for about 40 hours a week.

I may have the opportunity to study full-time this summer, like you did 9-5, 5 or 6 days a week.

So I guess my question is: How did you study 9-5 every day without going crazy? Obviously, I want to do well on the LSAT :P so the last thing I want to happen is to burn out.

Sorry if this question is not really answerable, any insight on your intense studying will be beneficial for at least me, and probably others as well.
Well, all I can say is if you are determined, you will pull through.

I actually made a mistake, for I did not review thoroughly, but I have recently been writing full fledged explanations in my notebook, so only now have I been getting better.

I feel now that I can read very quickly and understand at the same time, for now I am very familiar with the material.

To answer your question, you just have to keep the end goal in mind.. make the lsat your #1 priority for sure, although im sure you already are doing this.

there is no real easy answer, but if you really understand the magnitude of this test, then you will study and drill till your eyes bleed.

Good luck man, although this response may not have answered your question. I mean, you just have to...study.. lol
Certainly a sufficient answer, Jay. Thanks.

FSUHopeful

Bronze

Post by FSUHopeful » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Man, for some reason, PT 50 kicked my ass..

odela

New

Post by odela » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 am

Finished chapter 22 of the LSAT Trainer and spent over 2 hours blind reviewing LR questions from SA/Principle/NA/Strengthen/Weaken drills. I will take PT 57 after 3 more Trainer chapters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:38 am

I've been planning on taking the test in June, but I'm just progressing through my plan slower than expected. I'm starting to debate if I should hold off until September. I figure there is no good reason to rush to take the LSAT, especially when whether I take it in June/September, I'd be applying at around the same time.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Tyr wrote:I've been planning on taking the test in June, but I'm just progressing through my plan slower than expected. I'm starting to debate if I should hold off until September. I figure there is no good reason to rush to take the LSAT, especially when whether I take it in June/September, I'd be applying at around the same time.
Since you wouldn't get to apply as soon as admissions open if you take September instead of June, does you or anyone think the difference as far as how early you could apply makes much of an impact?

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Based on past data, there should be no measurable impact on admissions outcomes for June vs. Sept LSAT scores. If you submit right when you receive your score in October, you can safely consider yourself among the earliest applicants. You really only enter the 'late' group if you submit after mid-December.

Edit: I'm basing this mostly on the H admissions cycle. For some schools (e.g. Yale), your chances as a September applicant are equal to your chances as a February applicant.

The point stands: October is early everywhere.

GauchoMarx

New

Post by GauchoMarx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:27 pm

I just finished going through the PS LG Bible and I like where I'm currently at with games (I've been -0 or -1 in my problem sets). I'm getting started with the PS LR Bible, but I was wondering whether or not I should continue to drill games while I study LR.

Also, should I be taking PT's at this time, or do you guys recommend that I wait until I've finished the LR Bible and have a further understanding of the material before I start exhausting my PT's?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:Based on past data, there should be no measurable impact on admissions outcomes for June vs. Sept LSAT scores. If you submit right when you receive your score in October, you can safely consider yourself among the earliest applicants. You really only enter the 'late' group if you submit after mid-December.

Edit: I'm basing this mostly on the H admissions cycle. For some schools (e.g. Yale), your chances as a September applicant are equal to your chances as a February applicant.

The point stands: October is early everywhere.
you're making me want to wait until September...working full time is making it so difficult to study, but shoot I also want to get it over with in June!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Tyr wrote: there is no good reason to rush to take the LSAT
This needs to be communicated to OLs outside TLS so badly.

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
Tyr wrote: there is no good reason to rush to take the LSAT
This needs to be communicated to OLs outside TLS so badly.
It really is sad. So much bad information is given to students...even by those in academia who are expected to give good advice. I remember an advisor telling me something along the lines of, "Yeah, you want to take the LSAT seriously. You should plan on at least a few weeks to prepare."

I guess we are all putting in way too much time. haha!

alansadler

New

Post by alansadler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 pm

GauchoMarx wrote:I just finished going through the PS LG Bible and I like where I'm currently at with games (I've been -0 or -1 in my problem sets). I'm getting started with the PS LR Bible, but I was wondering whether or not I should continue to drill games while I study LR.

Also, should I be taking PT's at this time, or do you guys recommend that I wait until I've finished the LR Bible and have a further understanding of the material before I start exhausting my PT's?
Definitely keep doing LGs while you study LR. The ability to make inferences quickly is something that needs to be kept fresh, at least IMO. I try to at least do 1 or 2 Logic Games a day regardless of what I'm studying that day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”