165 diagnostic

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

165 diagnostic

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi, first off this my first post on here even though I have been lurking for a couple of weeks before I registered for an account.

I took my first official timed preptest at the beginning of May and scored a 165. Obviously I was thrilled but in the three weeks since I have not seen as much in results as I was hoping for. I have been taking two tests a week and reviewing them and drilling on the days I don't take a test. But I have only moved up a point or so a week.

2-166
1-167
2-168
1-169


My biggest trouble in in LR. I recently bought the LR bible but I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. So basically I was just wondering if I am on target. Also any recommendations about LR would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby wtrc » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:Hi, first off this my first post on here even though I have been lurking for a couple of weeks before I registered for an account.

I took my first official timed preptest at the beginning of May and scored a 165. Obviously I was thrilled but in the three weeks since I have not seen as much in results as I was hoping for. I have been taking two tests a week and reviewing them and drilling on the days I don't take a test. But I have only moved up a point or so a week.

2-166
1-167
2-168
1-169


My biggest trouble in in LR. I recently bought the LR bible but I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. So basically I was just wondering if I am on target. Also any recommendations about LR would be greatly appreciated.


A 165 cold is really amazing, congrats to you. Are you aiming for an October test? What are your scores on RC and LG?

Going through the Bible is important. Do that soon. I don't think you need 2 PT's a week yet (depending on when you are trying to take it). And at the 165+ range, a point or two a week is quite amazing. I would go through the Bibles (assuming you aren't perfect on LG already) and keep drilling. You seem to be in a fantastic position....

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Thank you. Yeah I am aiming for the October test. I've ordered the LG Bible from amazon so I am just waiting for it to show up. What about the RC Bible? is it worth it if I am only missing two-three per section? I would really like to get those extra couple of points but I don't know if would help or not.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Clearly » Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:Thank you. Yeah I am aiming for the October test. I've ordered the LG Bible from amazon so I am just waiting for it to show up. What about the RC Bible? is it worth it if I am only missing two-three per section? I would really like to get those extra couple of points but I don't know if would help or not.

Forget the RC bible, its worthless. Get the Manhattan RC guide if you're looking for an RC book. Also, calm yourself, you have improved and yet you're talking like you haven't. Did you expect to perfect the test in 3 weeks?

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue May 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:Hi, first off this my first post on here even though I have been lurking for a couple of weeks before I registered for an account.

I took my first official timed preptest at the beginning of May and scored a 165. Obviously I was thrilled but in the three weeks since I have not seen as much in results as I was hoping for. I have been taking two tests a week and reviewing them and drilling on the days I don't take a test. But I have only moved up a point or so a week.

2-166
1-167
2-168
1-169


My biggest trouble in in LR. I recently bought the LR bible but I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. So basically I was just wondering if I am on target. Also any recommendations about LR would be greatly appreciated.


Starting at a 165 is absolutely fantastic. My first real LSAT was a 165 (154 diagnostic), and that was after a few months of studying. When you first start studying though, going through Powerscore and Manhattan books as well as drilling should be more beneficial to you than PTs. These books help you understand some of the subtleties of the LSAT as well as give you a consistent approach to the test.

Since you are PTing so high this early on, you may find some of the material to be a bit simple or obvious, but I still suggest going through the entire Powerscore and/or Manhattan LR book(s) if you aren't taking the test until October. I haven't looked at Manhattan's LR, but Powerscore was very helpful for me. I went from a -7 on each to a -1 or 2. You also aren't as likely to make large gains in your score as quickly as people starting in the 150s or 140s, so even slight increases to your score should be viewed as a very positive thing.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Op, my cold diagnostic was a 167 and I did not spend a single dime on RC prep. I consistently went -4 to -1 on every RC section, yet I still didn't focus on that section. When test day rolled around, I went -4 on RC and -3 on every other section combined. I regret not trying harder to learn RC especially because two of the questions I missed (main point questions) I feel I would never have missed if I knew then about RC what I know now.
I don't think it really matters what book for it you buy as long as you have a consistent, working approach to limit RC variance. Def get bibles for the other two sections and take like 30 prep tests before Oct and you'll rock it.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 pm

My diagnostic was 164, and it took me nearly 5 weeks before I hit my first 170. If LG isn't where you lost most of your points on your diagnostic (I was -3 LG, -1 RC, -16 LR), it is much more difficult to improve rapidly. RC is a wild card for a lot of people, even after 4 or 5 months of prep. LR is really where you need to put your face to the grindstone to see significant improvement, and it takes much longer than a month to really get in the zone with it.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Clearly » Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Damn you kids had high diagnostics. I was a 151!

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Damn you kids had high diagnostics. I was a 151!


It's not where you start, but where you end that matters.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Clearly » Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Damn you kids had high diagnostics. I was a 151!


It's not where you start, but where you end that matters.

Ain't that the truth. Hard work pays off!

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:My diagnostic was 164, and it took me nearly 5 weeks before I hit my first 170. If LG isn't where you lost most of your points on your diagnostic (I was -3 LG, -1 RC, -16 LR), it is much more difficult to improve rapidly. RC is a wild card for a lot of people, even after 4 or 5 months of prep. LR is really where you need to put your face to the grindstone to see significant improvement, and it takes much longer than a month to really get in the zone with it.


Mine was -8LG -2 RC and -9 LR.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I love the sense of being a high achiever/willing to work your butt off that you find on this forum. The only other person I know going for the Law School said he would be happy if he broke 155.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 165 diagnostic

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:My diagnostic was 164, and it took me nearly 5 weeks before I hit my first 170. If LG isn't where you lost most of your points on your diagnostic (I was -3 LG, -1 RC, -16 LR), it is much more difficult to improve rapidly. RC is a wild card for a lot of people, even after 4 or 5 months of prep. LR is really where you need to put your face to the grindstone to see significant improvement, and it takes much longer than a month to really get in the zone with it.


Mine was -8LG -2 RC and -9 LR.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I love the sense of being a high achiever/willing to work your butt off that you find on this forum. The only other person I know going for the Law School said he would be happy if he broke 155.


TLS is a good place to not be ashamed of success. Good luck!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CMac86 and 9 guests