Too Slow Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
whereskyle

Silver

Too Slow

Post by whereskyle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am

Hey all, I'm a retaker trying to hop 3+ points in LR and RC. I'm finding that in both of these sections I'm going far too slowly. Not the case for LG, which I studied religiously for my initial testing. I read over powerscore's LR bible, but beyond its help with conditional reasoning, I felt that it was pretty weak. Would you all recommend that I pick up Manhattan LR and the early cambridge packets? Is TCR just drilling LR types, or are there some special goodies in Manhattan LR that may help me along the way? Also, what might you recommend for RC practice? Thanks, all.

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Too Slow

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 am

studying religiously for LG apparently got you the outcome you wanted, so I'd say that you should do the same for LR and RC. drilling is absolutely the best way to do so for LR. opinions vary for RC, personally I think drilling the cambridge packets is the best way to improve on both.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Manhattan LR + Cambridge is the gold standard right now.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 am

Def pick up a copy of Manhattan LSATs RC book, or if you can swing it take a Blueprint course, their RC and LR material is legit.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 am

objection_your_honor wrote:Manhattan LR + Cambridge is the gold standard right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 am

Also, start training for speed. A good rule of thumb is ten minutes for the first ten questions. That leaves 25 minutes for the next fifteen. If you can shave off another few minutes in the first ten it will be even more helpful. Best way to do this is drill easy questions. Early qs are straightforward for the most part... learn to trust yourself.
Also Manhattan is credited as hell for lr.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Also, start training for speed. A good rule of thumb is ten minutes for the first ten questions. That leaves 25 minutes for the next fifteen. If you can shave off another few minutes in the first ten it will be even more helpful. Best way to do this is drill easy questions. Early qs are straightforward for the most part... learn to trust yourself.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a slow reader, and I comprehend better when I read at a slower pace, I find that when drilling I am missing key points in LR. Do you think it's better to read slower and focus on the first 20 questions, then maybe take educated guesses on the next 5 or 6 questions? I would rather get the first 20 correct than speed through it and get a lot more incorrect. What do you think?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 am

NanaP wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Also, start training for speed. A good rule of thumb is ten minutes for the first ten questions. That leaves 25 minutes for the next fifteen. If you can shave off another few minutes in the first ten it will be even more helpful. Best way to do this is drill easy questions. Early qs are straightforward for the most part... learn to trust yourself.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a slow reader, and I comprehend better when I read at a slower pace, I find that when drilling I am missing key points in LR. Do you think it's better to read slower and focus on the first 20 questions, then maybe take educated guesses on the next 5 or 6 questions? I would rather get the first 20 correct than speed through it and get a lot more incorrect. What do you think?
I guess it depends on your goals, but even then I am always against just giving up points. You're going to have to be faster if you want a top score. You may be comfortable reading more slowly, but then who wouldn't be. Train for speed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”