NYTimes: Meditation might boost test scores

LSAT Blog

NYTimes: Meditation might boost test scores

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/0 ... st-scores/

After two weeks, the students were re-evaluated for mind-wandering and working memory capacity and given another version of the G.R.E. reading comprehension section.

The nutrition group’s results did not change.

The group that took mindfulness training, however, mind-wandered less and performed better on tests of working memory capacity and reading comprehension. For example, before the training, their average G.R.E. verbal score was 460. Two weeks later, it was 520.

tuffyjohnson

Re: NYTimes: Meditation might boost test scores

Postby tuffyjohnson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:41 am

Anyone have some tips on "mindfulness training?" What are some easy ways to integrate meditation?

MKX

Postby MKX » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 am

tuffyjohnson wrote:Anyone have some tips on "mindfulness training?" What are some easy ways to integrate meditation?

This is what I do to clear my mind and relax.

- Lay down
- Put on a "Explosions in the Sky" full album (can be found on youtube)
- Relax

The music changes paces slowly, but never gets too fast. So relaxing.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:28 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:Anyone have some tips on "mindfulness training?" What are some easy ways to integrate meditation?

I practice basic Buddhist mediation involving breathing control. Basically you close your eyes, sit down, and try to focus your thoughts on your breath going in and out. At first your mind will wander, but you'll improve with time. If your actually interested there are several websites that give much better explanations, but I don't want to share them here since they are Buddhist sites and I don't want to give the impression I'm trying to convert anyone or anything like that, but feel free to PM me if you're interested in checking them out. I don't know if they actually improve test scores or not, but it calms me down.

Brixton

Postby Brixton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Yoga works well. Mind/body health is something that should not be overlooked when preparing for academic/test-taking success. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future far more attention is given to this aspect of academic performance instead of strictly the traditional approach.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 am

The best resource I've come across is a book (published online for free) called Mindfulness in Plain English:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

Don't be put off by references to Buddhism in the intro. Once it actually gets into the substance (Chapter 1), the text is remarkably secular.

davyboy

Postby davyboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm

MKX wrote:

- Lay down
- Relax

You relax to POST-ROCK?

MKX

Postby MKX » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:59 pm

davyboy wrote:
MKX wrote:

- Lay down
- Relax

You relax to POST-ROCK?

It really calms me lol

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am

LSAT Blog wrote:

The best resource I've come across is a book (published online for free) called Mindfulness in Plain English:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

Don't be put off by references to Buddhism in the intro. Once it actually gets into the substance (Chapter 1), the text is remarkably secular.

I got requests for a tl;dr of the above link, so here's a far more concise guide to the basics:
http://www.kratosguide.com/self-transfo ... editation/

An overview focusing on benefits:
http://io9.com/how-meditation-changes-y ... -470030863

I'd still recommend reading sections of Mindfulness in Plain English if you plan to try this, though.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Brixton wrote:Yoga works well. Mind/body health is something that should not be overlooked when preparing for academic/test-taking success. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future far more attention is given to this aspect of academic performance instead of strictly the traditional approach.

Yoga is more about meditation and breathing than exercise. It's the best thing you can do, imo.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”