154 on cold diagnostic?

Otunga

154 on cold diagnostic?

Postby Otunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Did the cold (timed) diagnostic today and scored 154. I got absolutely destroyed on logic games - got 10 out of 23 right, which is probably strange for a philosophy major. I was also irritated with my 34/50 on the LRs. But a big problem for me was time. I straight filled in answers at random with time expiring for eight questions on LGs, eight total on LRs and four on RCs (21 of 27). Of course, I'm generally a slow test taker, so no shocker there. I've taken the GRE and the RCs felt the same - just more questions corresponding to each passage. I hope I'm just rusty on those.

My goal is to score 170. At worst, 165. I wonder what the general success rate is for people scoring in the low-mid 150s on the diagnostic who aim for the 165-170 range. If it matters, my GPA's in the 3.8-3.9 range.

Re: 154 on cold diagnostic?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Otunga wrote:Did the cold (timed) diagnostic today and scored 154. I got absolutely destroyed on logic games - got 10 out of 23 right, which is probably strange for a philosophy major. I was also irritated with my 34/50 on the LRs. But a big problem for me was time. I straight filled in answers at random with time expiring for eight questions on LGs, eight total on LRs and four on RCs (21 of 27). Of course, I'm generally a slow test taker, so no shocker there. I've taken the GRE and the RCs felt the same - just more questions corresponding to each passage. I hope I'm just rusty on those.

My goal is to score 170. At worst, 165. I wonder what the general success rate is for people scoring in the low-mid 150s on the diagnostic who aim for the 165-170 range. If it matters, my GPA's in the 3.8-3.9 range.

My cold diagnostic was 147. I hold a real LSAT score in the mid 160s and am currently practice testing in the 170s. The Logic Games are the easiest part of the test to learn. Take six months to study, take the test in October, get a 170+ and enjoy the T6.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:28 pm

People go from 14*/15* to 165+/170+ all the time.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

That's encouraging, but I've already registered to test in June. I've ordered the LG and LR powerscore bibles, as well as a bunch of preptests.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Otunga wrote:That's encouraging, but I've already registered to test in June. I've ordered the LG and LR powerscore bibles, as well as a bunch of preptests.

That's fine, take it if your pting above what score you'd like. You can move it to October for free if you don't feel ready. It won't affect your cycle.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Otunga wrote:That's encouraging, but I've already registered to test in June. I've ordered the LG and LR powerscore bibles, as well as a bunch of preptests.

Three months could be long enough, but you won't really know until its too late.

With your GPA, HYS is a possibility (although it depends on your softs), and if thats the case you might want to unregister for june and take it in october shooting for a 173+. Other schools won't care if you do meh on the first LSAT and then a 173+ on the second, but HYS will not look favorably upon it.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Three months could be long enough, but you won't really know until its too late.

With your GPA, HYS is a possibility (although it depends on your softs), and if thats the case you might want to unregister for june and take it in october shooting for a 173+. Other schools won't care if you do meh on the first LSAT and then a 173+ on the second, but HYS will not look favorably upon it.

Right. Well, after a month or so of studying, I'll see where my PT scores are at.

I'd say I'm most interested in Yale out of the T5, but in that case, it seems I would need to get the 173+.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Otunga wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Right. Well, after a month or so of studying, I'll see where my PT scores are at.

I'd say I'm most interested in Yale out of the T5, but in that case, it seems I would need to get the 173+.

Hahahahaha I'm sure you are. Out of the T5(?)... Or out of all schools?

But if you really want Yale, you should be PTing at 178/180.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Hahahahaha I'm sure you are. Out of the T5(?)... Or out of all schools? But if you really want Yale, you should be PTing at 178/180.

Out of the top 5, Yale appeals to me the most. Their course offerings appear, in many ways, to be more philosophically driven than others. Of course, there are tons of reasons to want to go there.

But honestly, I'd be happy with Boston U. Or UCLA or USC. I want to stay in the top 30. If I get somewhere in the top 10, awesome.

spyder11

Postby spyder11 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Totally doable to get into the 170s but it will take some work.

I had a 153 on my first try and scored a 174 on the real thing. I recommend reading The Economist to get your reading speed up. I was doing terrible on the R/C section until I started reading the Economist all the time.

Good luck!

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am

My cold diagnostics were in the 150s. I ended up with a 176. Not a typical result of course, but the point is: cold diagnostics don't mean very much.

In my experience, the problems you mention are definitely fixable with practice and studying. The language-based sections are the ones that are hardest to improve dramatically in; you can practice them, improve a little, and definitely improve your time management, but you pretty much need to have those core skills well-developed in advance to excel. Logic games? I was fucking *terrible* at these at first, despite being an avid strategy gamer, chess player, word game solver, and generally being good at most activities that seemed related or similar.

After getting a book on logic games and a bunch of practice tests, I found that there were really only a handful of specific games that make up the vast majority of LSAT logic game questions, and that there were pretty simple tricks that made them vastly easier to solve. I took it in December 2010, so my memory is foggy on the details, but I remember that just learning an effective way of graphing out the initial question/problem made most of the answers trivial to find.

I did my logic games practice in two stages. First, I worked on accuracy and mastering the 'tricks' to each type of logic game that make them easier to solve. Then, once I felt like I could get a perfect score every time on an *untimed* test, I focused on time management. The only thing I really had to change in the interest of time was to save difficult problems for the end. I ended up having to guess on 2 or 3 questions on my live exam, but that's a hell of a lot better than my pre-practice attempts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”