hhhhhhhhh

dopedoer

hhhhhhhhh

Postby dopedoer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Last edited by dopedoer on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvonh001

Re: 14 weeks and a bunch of material. How should I study?

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 am

good luck with just jumping in the to the study game and starting out with 6hr study days 5 days a week. That seems a little bit excessive and torturous, IMHO. I would get the Cambridge LG by type and read the chapters in the bible or the MLSAT LG book and do the corresponding LG type... then once you finish that I would go hard on the PTing from test 40 on up to 67 (or 68, idk, whatever the most recent test is)

dopedoer

Postby dopedoer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 am

mvonh001 wrote:good luck with just jumping in the to the study game and starting out with 6hr study days 5 days a week. That seems a little bit excessive and torturous, IMHO. I would get the Cambridge LG by type and read the chapters in the bible or the MLSAT LG book and do the corresponding LG type... then once you finish that I would go hard on the PTing from test 40 on up to 67 (or 68, idk, whatever the most recent test is)

Yeah. After reading through a few relevant threads, it seems 6 hour nights will probably be excessive. However, I can spread some of it out. 2 hours during the work day (because my job allow for it most days) and 4 in the evenings. I'll feel it out over the next week and get the timing down to where it's most effective. My main concern was for the order in which to get through what I've got. In response to your advice, I'm looking at the Blueprint course as pretty central to my efforts being that 1) I paid for it and 2) it provides at least some sort of structure that people seem to be fond of.

I already have the questions-by-type list and can set out to tackle the questions as they arise in MLSAT LG.

Would it be redundant to do both LGB and MSLAT LG? Worth it anyway? In which order?

Thanks for your response.

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 am

Read the following threads through and incorporate the strategies can you can into your schedule-

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=41657
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=120471
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=195603

But the fundamental thing everyone who seemed to have success at getting a 170+ is-

-They studied/drilled specific question types for the LR extensively.
-They do the above for LG as well. But a personal tip would be that you do not move onto another game "type" before you can do the "type" before that one with your eyes closed. All the games except the in/out and misc. ones (and these in themselves get easier as you get better at the entire progression) build up on the preceding one, and there's really no reason why you should try games with more variations before you can confidently do the ones with fewer variations.
-They spent a lot of time developing a strategy for RC that works for them. This obviously depends on your innate reading skills. If it sucks, then you have best spend a lot of time reading while using the method required by the RC section of the LSAT.

Also, get the Manhattan LR book. It is superior to the Powerscore one (imo). I don't know if the BP one is built on the same idea, so maybe others can give advice here.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 am

Personally, and this is blasphemous around here, I can't stand the LGB, find it so long winded and inefficient. If you have the cash check out Velocity LSAT. Idk what the Manhattan LG book looks like, but I find their RC book the best by a wide margin, so pick that up if you can.
You sound dedicated, you're going to need that, but your plan calls for a LOT of studying daily, so don't feel bad if you scale back. The important thing is to get the most out of the time you DO have...If you're burnt out after 5 hours, you're not maximizing your material in the 6th, and its time you could better spend doing something else.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 am

I'm in almost an identical situation OP. Same diagnostic, same work hours. 6 Hours a day seems a little much for me at this point, but if you can do it more power to you. I usually study from 6-9 during the week and by that time my brain is fried and I get negative returns. Hopefully by May-ish I'll have a bit more time to dedicate to LSAT stuff.

Let's crush it.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

dopedoer wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:good luck with just jumping in the to the study game and starting out with 6hr study days 5 days a week. That seems a little bit excessive and torturous, IMHO. I would get the Cambridge LG by type and read the chapters in the bible or the MLSAT LG book and do the corresponding LG type... then once you finish that I would go hard on the PTing from test 40 on up to 67 (or 68, idk, whatever the most recent test is)

Yeah. After reading through a few relevant threads, it seems 6 hour nights will probably be excessive. However, I can spread some of it out. 2 hours during the work day (because my job allow for it most days) and 4 in the evenings. I'll feel it out over the next week and get the timing down to where it's most effective. My main concern was for the order in which to get through what I've got. In response to your advice, I'm looking at the Blueprint course as pretty central to my efforts being that 1) I paid for it and 2) it provides at least some sort of structure that people seem to be fond of.

I already have the questions-by-type list and can set out to tackle the questions as they arise in MLSAT LG.

Would it be redundant to do both LGB and MSLAT LG? Worth it anyway? In which order?

Thanks for your response.

I bought both, the LGB and The MLSAT LG book, but once i opened the bible I promptly returned it. I didn't like the writing style and the MLSAT book was much more appropriate for me. Nevertheless, it seems that the consensus around here is to start with the LGB then finish it off with the MLSAT LG book.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm

The MLSAT LR book is really good, imho, preferable to the LRB.

dopedoer

Postby dopedoer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm

So based on the responses here and other relevant threads, 100% self study seems to be the preferred method for hitting 170+. Did I just waste cash on BP's online course? Does anyone think there's a viable way to integrate it into my regimen? Maybe start it after working through Bible sand MLSAT LG and skipping redundant sections? Honestly, a big part of the reason I signed onto it was for the LG explanations. Had I known about 7sage beforehand, I might not have signed up for BP, but what's done is done, I guess. Thoughts?

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm

dopedoer wrote:So based on the responses here and other relevant threads, 100% self study seems to be the preferred method for hitting 170+. Did I just waste cash on BP's online course? Does anyone think there's a viable way to integrate it into my regimen? Maybe start it after working through Bible sand MLSAT LG and skipping redundant sections? Honestly, a big part of the reason I signed onto it was for the LG explanations. Had I known about 7sage beforehand, I might not have signed up for BP, but what's done is done, I guess. Thoughts?

self-study is def the way to go. that said, i dont think you wasted your money, now you'll just have ample resources to learn the most effective method for you.
Last edited by mvonh001 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dopedoer

Postby dopedoer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:40 pm

That's a good way to think of it. Started MLSAT last night. I like the format a lot so far. Thanks.

nmillette

Postby nmillette » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I am in the same position. I already read the Powerscore Logic Games, Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension bibles. I just started the MLSAT LG and I really like it (starting Chapter 3 tonight). I also work full time and study at night. I try to do 3-4 hours each night, 6 hours is alot but you should know your limit, when you think that you have reached the "Point of Diminishing Returns" you should not. Note that this point would not be the same every night somenights you can go for 4-5 hours and other nights only 2 hours. Just try to find your rhythm.

Also you should consider purchasing Steve's study guide, I don't follow it completely but it does give me some guidance.

BTW, I am looking for a study buddy. I have never had a study partner before but I read somewhere that having a LSAT study partner helps. My background:

International
Superior GPA (According to LSAC)
Work full time at a "Big Four" accounting firm
CFA Level 1
Studying for June 2013 LSAT
Aiming for 173+
Married (no kids)
Female

PM me if you're interested :D

dp714

Postby dp714 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm

I've also just started studying for June. I'm using the 3 month plan from LSAT BLog (from http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/). So, far it hasn't been very time demanding. I'm on week 1. I started Sunday, but I'm already on the material for Day 6 of the schedule, but I'm sure it will get tougher as I move into more diffcult game types.

The materials I'm using aside from his blog are:

-Powerscores LGB and the LRB (although I haven't opened it yet)
-The three or four Official LSAT PrepTest books + bunch of recent PT's.
-All 3 MLSAT on the way. These aren't on the official study schedule, but I'm going to work them in as I go along the corresponding sections of the Powerscore books. I've read that this is a good way of getting the most out of MLSAT books (use the PS books to get the basics down, and the MLSAT ones to help master the concepts and "put you over the top").

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm

don't jack off cause you'll get tired fast

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”