To what extent is the past also prologue on LSAT Logic Games

jreeve12

To what extent is the past also prologue on LSAT Logic Games

Postby jreeve12 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 am

Hi,

In preparing for the LSAT, one of the most fascinating things I've noticed is that-while I may not be able to complete a difficult scenario like the June 2003 Zephyr Airlines game, the December 1998 Reptile game, or even the June 2002 swimming lanes game in a timely manner the first time- I can STILL apply the same general principles I have learned slogging through these difficult scenarios to logic games going all the way back to PrepTest 1. For example, after doing the Zephyr airlines game, no longer does a Grouping game with a discreet mapping element scare me (ie, the 1995 Zendu airzones game). Moreover, after returning to these difficult games later, say, in a month or so, I find that I ALSO can fly through the same games that previously gave me a headache.

This experience has lead me to consider the following question: to what extent does the LSAT's nature as a standardized test dictate that similar scenario's be repeatedly tested over and over again within the basic constructs of linearity and grouping? Is the past always prologue?

Put another way, would one effective way to prepare for the Analytical Reasoning section simply involve going through EVERY published game, basically memorizing the eccentricities of each one (rather than simply being a slave to the clock on each game the first time around)? What would be the drawbacks to this method, and would you care to speculate how significant they would likely be?

Davidbentley

Re: To what extent is the past also prologue on LSAT Logic Games

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 am

1.) Jesus Fucking Christ. What an ANNOYING way to phrase a post.

2.) In general, speed is a byproduct of accuracy, so yes, simply doing the games will improve your skills. However, the essential difficulty of the LSAT is the time constraint. Nearly everyone can get a perfect games score if they have all day. Even if you just diagrammed every single permutation to every possible answer, you could, with time, find the right answer. Would studying this way help you? My guess is . . .

However, the big drawback is the risk that you get one of these eccentric games and shit your pants because you have no concept of how to approach the problem at pace with a good plan.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 am

I hope to God that if you do end up at a law school, your writing instructor will shred your writing apart and teach you to write in coherent and plain English.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 pm

This is accommodated LSAT score guy...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204001

jreeve12

Postby jreeve12 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Harsh. Though reading through my post again, I probably could have done with a shorter, more concise sentence here and there. One of my favorite writing models is Anthony Kennedy. He has a writing style that you either love or hate...

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 pm

----------
Last edited by aresdude on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am

jreeve12 wrote:Harsh. Though reading through my post again, I probably could have done with a shorter, more concise sentence here and there. One of my favorite writing models is Anthony Kennedy. He has a writing style that you either love or hate...

Wow, I've never seen anyone admit to Kennedy as a writing model before.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 pm

tag

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 pm

slack_academic wrote:tl;dr

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”