"Running Out" of Prep Material

Roger_Mogilny

"Running Out" of Prep Material

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm a new poster, however I have been reading this forum for months now and I just wanted to give a small piece of advice from my own experience. I spent roughly over a year studying for the LSAT and ended up with a 180 which I was beyond ecstatic about. Anyways, I posted on a different thread earlier and got a few private messages asking me about how I didn't run out of prep material while studying for an extended period of time and the truth is that I did start running out of prep material but from my experience, that was a pretty great problem to have (ESPECIALLY for the logic games section). Some LG sections I reviewed and re-did maybe 8 times. It's almost like math, it just leads to fluency. So I did re-do a lot of PTs and I benefited from it. On test day, a lot of questions on the exam were stuff I had seen 5 times before just put in different words and sometimes methods.

Anyways, by no means does someone need over a year to prep for this exam. I was working full time and in school when I took it so I need that much time, but if you really do want to spend something like a year prepping, dont be too afraid of running out of prep material. Like I said, from my experience, it just lead to more fluency.

That's my two cents.

Jeffort

Re: "Running Out" of Prep Material

Postby Jeffort » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 pm

^ this +1000

In terms of improving and maximizing ones ultimate performance on the LSAT, running out of fresh materials to prepare with is not a valid problem that impairs peoples ability to achieve their maximum potential score. Rather, failing to master the concepts and build the skills repeatedly tested by the LSAT with every test-form to the best of ones ability by effectively using the huge volume of materials available for preparation is the real issue that holds many students back from achieving their maximum potential score on test day.

Quality study, preparation and practice with over 7000 available authentic previously administered LSAT questions (far more than is needed to master the concepts, techniques, etc.) trumps quantity of materials used to prepare/available to use for prep no matter how you slice and dice things.

Remember, the LSAT is a standardized test. Each test-form measures proficiency/fluency with the same concepts, skills and abilities in the same ways time after time. On test day it is just another LSAT filled with the same repetitive stuff on a different day.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 am

The best thing I can relate it to is my calculus class in college. Same concepts, different problems.

Probably why physics majors do so well on the lsat.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 am

So many total hours do you think you studied for your 180? Also, congrats on having accomplished this.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:So many total hours do you think you studied for your 180? Also, congrats on having accomplished this.

I pretty much did 3 times a week, 2 hours a day throughout the whole thing, with weeks where I had time off work and school going more extensive. The month before the test I did PTs every other day. I really dont know an exact number but it wasnt anything crazy like 4 hours a day or something.

One of the first ever tips I read was to take a cold diagnostic and whatever score I got, you could only raise 10 points from there. Bullshit. This test is honestly as doable as any other one, the only difference is you dont study facts. Put the time in and you will succeed.

Also if I took a cold diagnostic my score would probably be in the 150s.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 pm

I've been studying for about 6 months now, but maybe 5 months where I am actually fully invested. I'm probably doing something similar to you (I'm repeating everything, every question every logic game, ad nauseum. It definitely works. Especially with the logic games, but even with the LR (they essentially ask the same thing over and over, to the point where you can predict that each question will ask and even what the answer is most likely to be).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”