LR: Eyeballing the Right Answer

wtrc

LR: Eyeballing the Right Answer

Postby wtrc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm

So I've been doing this LSAT prep for a while now, with lots of long breaks and then getting back into it. I'm at the point where I almost never diagram anything for LR, and can eyeball the right answer. I consistently get -1 to -3 wrong in each of those sections (LR is my strongest now). I don't do the contra-positive (or whatever it's called) ever, I don't really use any strategy other than process of elimination to get the right answer.

Anyway, I'd like to bring this down to 0 obviously, and I think I can improve, since I almost always can figure out why I was wrong. What would y'all recommend? Starting to diagram again (I used to do this, but got tired of it)? Or just continuing to do what I am doing?

I know all the test prep companies recommend diagramming. But is this really necessary for everyone here, or do any high-scorers get by without diagramming?

scottyc66

Re: LR: Eyeballing the Right Answer

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 pm

weathercoins wrote:So I've been doing this LSAT prep for a while now, with lots of long breaks and then getting back into it. I'm at the point where I almost never diagram anything for LR, and can eyeball the right answer. I consistently get -1 to -3 wrong in each of those sections (LR is my strongest now). I don't do the contra-positive (or whatever it's called) ever, I don't really use any strategy other than process of elimination to get the right answer.

Anyway, I'd like to bring this down to 0 obviously, and I think I can improve, since I almost always can figure out why I was wrong. What would y'all recommend? Starting to diagram again (I used to do this, but got tired of it)? Or just continuing to do what I am doing?

I know all the test prep companies recommend diagramming. But is this really necessary for everyone here, or do any high-scorers get by without diagramming?

Depends on what kind of questions you're getting wrong. Most LR questions you really shouldn't diagram, but if you're getting ones wrong that you probably should then the answer seems a little obvious. If you aren't diagramming and you aren't getting those wrong then you should probably be pretty solid on time and just take a little more time and be more careful along the way.

There's still a bunch of other scenarios and it all depends on what questions you're getting wrong and why you're getting them wrong.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 pm

I do it just as you described. For me, diagramming is pointless. It takes time away from the next question, especially when I've already figured out the right answer. See if there is a link among the questions you're missing, are they all X-type questions, Y-type questions, if not, keep doing what you're doing. Practice.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks all!!. It's not always one type I get wrong, it's often a mix of the questions like "which of the following is most analogous to the flawed reasoning" or "the above statements would be most supported by..."

I also didn't mention, I'm usually finishing the sections in about 28-31 minutes, so I have the time to diagram, if I needed to...

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm

It was the same for me- no diagramming, no real rhyme or reason when doing LR... I didn't miss any LR questions on my LSAT.

Just don't second guess yourself on test day.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:It was the same for me- no diagramming, no real rhyme or reason when doing LR... I didn't miss any LR questions on my LSAT.

Just don't second guess yourself on test day.

Obviously not the case for most people as the LSAT is a test where they purposely set traps and if you're getting 1-3 wrong you're falling for them at least every once in a while. It'll probably just take more PTing, but there's still a lot more to think about. Your approach from here should be drastically different if they're questions you think you may have gotten right and not questions you thought you nailed and moved on.

willwash

Postby willwash » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:46 pm

The only questions in LR worth diagramming are parallel reasoning/parallel flaw and formal logic (even then, it doesn't help much for FL).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”