6-10 Months to achieve my goals. How to adapt Pithypike? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Power Clean

New

6-10 Months to achieve my goals. How to adapt Pithypike?

Post by Power Clean » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:19 am

So before I dive into the crux of my question, I thought I'd provide some background information regarding my current circumstances. I took a TestMasters course over the summer in preparation for the October test date. Come October, I felt that I hadn't invested enough time to get a worthwhile score, so instead registered for the December test. Well, just this monday I discovered these forums and it completely put my studying habits, study hours invested, goals, and then-current performance into perspective. I am (or will be) a splitter whose goal is to make it to CCN (Harvard would be a dream, but from the insight I've gleamed from this forum, it'll probably always remain a dream). To achieve this as a splitter, the high 160s/low 170s I was getting on my most recent PTs wouldn't cut it (my end of quarter LSDAS GPA will be 3.23; 3.43 by the end of this year). So, with my goals being firm, I had but one choice - withdraw.

I've since spent this week reevaluating my life. While my gpa is largely out of my hands at this point (I wish I'd tried in class...) I know that the fulfillment of my goals hinges on a stellar lsat performance. I've spent all week reading through TLS experiences, admissions information, devising a study plan, figuring out the life implications of not applying this cycle, and ordering the Powerscore bibles.

TLS1776's Thoughts on the Lsat thread led me to Pithypike's guide. I have 6-10 months to study (depending on if I decide to take the June or October test). My goal is to prepare for a 180. The following are some of my current questions in the pursuit of this goal:

1. How do I adapt pithypike's guide to a 6-10 month time period? Do I simply use the Month 3 phase (PT-review-review) for an additional 3 months, recycling old content and factoring in nuances like PTing with 8 sections for endurance, simulating conditions, improving time, etc. ? Do I add in periodical extra review?

2. Pithypikes guide uses PTs 1-44 for the purpose of drilling during months 1 and 2 and 44+ for the purpose of full length PTs. Do you recommend buying ALL available PTs (its quite costly)? I plan on buying them in PDF form to allow for reprinting. Bear in mind I have from now until June or October to study (6-10 months)

3. Would you recommend the June or October test date. Both are considered early in the cycle, correct? To my understanding applying earlier than October 31 wouldn't confer much of a bonus over applying after the October scores are released. However, I recognize the June test would be good in case I need to retake, but I don't feasibly see an averaged two test score being advantageous - I need to do well the first time in light of my goals, right? In which case, October is fine, as it give additional time to master the LSAT and gives me time out of school to focus almost exclusively on the test (and not have to worry about maintaining a 4.0 for these last few quarters and waking up at 5am for rowing).
Last edited by Power Clean on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Re: 6-9 Months to achieve my goals. How to adapt Pithypike?

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:36 am

Do not sit for the LSAT without having read the Manhattan guides, especially LR and RC. Some strategies from the LG book are pretty good as well. Do read the PS ones too though.

Power Clean

New

Post by Power Clean » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Do not sit for the LSAT without having read the Manhattan guides, especially LR and RC. Some strategies from the LG book are pretty good as well. Do read the PS ones too though.
Thanks, I was reading a lot of positive reviews here about these guides. Would you recommend doing pithypike's 3 months, then incorporating these books with additional drill work, or would you read them concurrently?

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Read them concurrently with PS and then drill question type.

Power Clean

New

Post by Power Clean » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Read them concurrently with PS and then drill question type.
Sounds good, I appreciate the advice. I'll look into picking up the Manhattan books to supplement the powerscore bibles. I take it they're stylistically similar and progress in a similar fashion, such that they can be used at the same time?

Still looking for some opinions regarding my initial questions as well. :D
Last edited by Power Clean on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Re: 6-10 Months to achieve my goals. How to adapt Pithypike?

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Manhattan and PS are not remotely close to being stylistically similar. You will be making a big mistake if you do not read the Manhattan guides. Manhattan's approach is more intuitive, while PS's methods are more mechanical. Manhattan is more about teaching exactly what the hell does flaw, necessary and sufficient, etc. mean in the first place, while PS focuses on giving you the tools to answer these type of questions. The problem is you cannot easily, quickly and adequately answer these LR questions if you do not know what role sufficient, necessary or whatever plays in the argument in the first place, and this is where Manhattan comes into play. By combining what you learn from both companies, you will be more easily able to tackle LR questions. A lot of TLS does not care for PS's RC bible and more so recommend Manhattan's book, but I think both are great. They both have very strong points and make them worth reading.

SEngland

Bronze

Re: 6-10 Months to achieve my goals. How to adapt Pithypike?

Post by SEngland » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:44 pm

URM?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”