Best self-study guide?

newbreh

Best self-study guide?

Postby newbreh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey, longtime lurker that had a few questions. I'm going to start self studying for the LSAT soon, and I was just wondering if there was still a consensus of what self-study guide was the best. I looked at pithypike's sticky, but it seems like people are saying it is outdated?

My friend recently took the LSAT and got a 166 doing the Powerscore 12 week http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/153 ... Study-Plan, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on that one, or if there was a guide that is pretty dummy proof that gives me a weekly/monthly plan to follow similar to the Powerscore one.

Thanks a ton!

jrsbaseball5

Re: Best self-study guide?

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm looking into study guides as well and one that I keep hearing lots about is the Schwartz study guide on the LSAT blog. I can't speak to its effectiveness since I've never used it, but it seems worthwhile.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Using LSAT blog's I went from 153 to 167. Awesome guide IMO.. Worth the money for a premium version.

Edit: I should say that it would have been higher but my proctor was a dumbass... Retaking to see my full potential.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

noobishned wrote:Using LSAT blog's I went from 153 to 167. Awesome guide IMO.. Worth the money for a premium version.

Edit: I should say that it would have been higher but my proctor was a dumbass... Retaking to see my full potential.

Is there an actual premium version or are you just saying it has premium value? Also, what kind of information is included in the day-by-day version. Thanks!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

newbreh wrote:Hey, longtime lurker that had a few questions. I'm going to start self studying for the LSAT soon, and I was just wondering if there was still a consensus of what self-study guide was the best. I looked at pithypike's sticky, but it seems like people are saying it is outdated?

My friend recently took the LSAT and got a 166 doing the Powerscore 12 week http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/153 ... Study-Plan, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on that one, or if there was a guide that is pretty dummy proof that gives me a weekly/monthly plan to follow similar to the Powerscore one.

Thanks a ton!

Consensus here is Manhatten guides, but powerscore bibles are good too. Personally I used Powerscore exclusively, then after deciding to retake I got the Manhattan RC guide and it has been much more helpful than the PS reading bible.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:12 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
noobishned wrote:Using LSAT blog's I went from 153 to 167. Awesome guide IMO.. Worth the money for a premium version.

Is there an actual premium version or are you just saying it has premium value? Also, what kind of information is included in the day-by-day version. Thanks!

There are free week-by-week versions, and there are also premium day-by-day versions, which are far more detailed. You can read my description of the day-by-day versions here.

I'll refrain from offering my biased opinion, but here are some reviews from others:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183700

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:25 pm

I have been using the Manhattan Study Guide. But I am open to the LSAT Blog study guide. Im just curious as to what it will offer me as far as recommendations go, ie. will it tell me which problems to do everyday? or only which sections? also, is there any rhyme to their reasoning and if so will i be informed as to what that is?

RoughRider

Postby RoughRider » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:12 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I have been using the Manhattan Study Guide. But I am open to the LSAT Blog study guide. Im just curious as to what it will offer me as far as recommendations go, ie. will it tell me which problems to do everyday? or only which sections? also, is there any rhyme to their reasoning and if so will i be informed as to what that is?

I am currently using the 4-month day-by-day LSAT Blog study guide (for Feb LSAT). It has been extremely helpful. Each week has a theme and then each day is a combination of reading PS Bibles and drilling a specific type of LR or LG type (I supplement with the MLSAT guides as well). He provides a list of questions from various PTs for the type of LG/LR to be competed on each day. I like that there are some review days and days off sprinkled in. For me and my schedule, it was definitely worth the money.

I imagine it would be just as helpful to create your own daily schedule based on the resources in this forum, but I wanted/needed something quick to get me back in the studying groove and the LSAT Blog schedule fit the bill.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm

RoughRider wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I have been using the Manhattan Study Guide. But I am open to the LSAT Blog study guide. Im just curious as to what it will offer me as far as recommendations go, ie. will it tell me which problems to do everyday? or only which sections? also, is there any rhyme to their reasoning and if so will i be informed as to what that is?

I am currently using the 4-month day-by-day LSAT Blog study guide (for Feb LSAT). It has been extremely helpful. Each week has a theme and then each day is a combination of reading PS Bibles and drilling a specific type of LR or LG type (I supplement with the MLSAT guides as well). He provides a list of questions from various PTs for the type of LG/LR to be competed on each day. I like that there are some review days and days off sprinkled in. For me and my schedule, it was definitely worth the money.

I imagine it would be just as helpful to create your own daily schedule based on the resources in this forum, but I wanted/needed something quick to get me back in the studying groove and the LSAT Blog schedule fit the bill.

I'm so glad you enjoy the day-by-day schedule!

mvon, it will tell you exactly which problems to do every day over the course of your studying for all sections (LG, LR, and RC). And, yes, there is rhyme to my reasoning - if you have any specific questions about that, please let me know!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”