JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CanILive

New

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by CanILive » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 am

I'm sure most of you have seen these, but I figured I would post them for those who can benefit.

http://7sage.com/free-lsat-prep-tools/

In this link there are two videos that simulate both a 4-section LSAT proctor and a 5-section LSAT proctor.

There is also a printable answer sheet which definitely comes in handy to those who may want to reuse their test booklets and save answer sheets.

Another prep-test for me later today, I hope everyone's studying is going well!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm

TJFergu85 wrote:Just out of curiosity, are all of you working full time while studying? I'm currently working full time, with a bit of take home work during the week. I look at your guys' schedules and I can't fathom being able to put in the same hours. I feel like I am already behind, even though this is a retake for me. I am loosely following LSAT Blog's 5 month schedule. Right now I am only able to comfortably give 20 hours a week, with most of those hours coming on the weekend. Currently I am working on grouping games. Having studied for LG before, although insufficiently, many of the exercises out of MLSAT and LSAT Blog are familiar . I want to start taking timed sections of LG to test for both speed and accuracy, even though LSAT Blog recommends waiting until I have covered every aspect of LG before going for timed sections. Am I jumping the gun on moving onto full timed sections, should I just stay focused on maybe timing single games only? While I am anxious to find out how I am doing in the big picture, I also want to stay patient with the process, something I didn't do last time.
I think it would help to print out games that are of the type you are working on and do them timed. I wouldn't worry about doing full PTs just yet, but targeted game types under timed conditions (even 4x at 35 mins) will help develop a sense of pace. It's what I've been doing, anyway.

I work full time and am also retaking.

ready4180

New

Post by ready4180 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm

At work right now, but was able to sneak some drilling in. Since I'm working through MLSAT Chap 2, I am trying to stick to doing relative and simple ordering games.

PT12-S2-G1 (6:44) -0
PT23-S1-G1 (4:57) -0
PT26-S1-G2 (7:45) -0, but difficulty on game #12
PT7-S2-G1 (6:38) -0
PT19-S1-G1 (8:47) -1, interrupted half way through game to go to a meeting, so I'm hoping this is an outlier as I want to keep my speed and accuracy down on these easier games.

Speaking of games — how do you guys drill? I've been doing 1 game at a time, trying to get each under 8:45, then review immediately. Or should I drill games in 4-game chunks, to simulate LSAT conditions? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this...and yes at this point in my studying I would just want to stick to games by section, so I'd be drilling 4 ordering games at a time, etc.

Thanks!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 pm

ready4180 wrote:At work right now, but was able to sneak some drilling in. Since I'm working through MLSAT Chap 2, I am trying to stick to doing relative and simple ordering games.

PT19-S1-G1 (8:47) -1, interrupted half way through game to go to a meeting, so I'm hoping this is an outlier as I want to keep my speed and accuracy down on these easier games.

Speaking of games — how do you guys drill? I've been doing 1 game at a time, trying to get each under 8:45, then review immediately. Or should I drill games in 4-game chunks, to simulate LSAT conditions? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this...and yes at this point in my studying I would just want to stick to games by section, so I'd be drilling 4 ordering games at a time, etc.

Thanks!
I drilled continuously to build up endurance. Then review either after all drilling or the next day.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Working through Manhattan LG and noticing that many of the practice/explanation games are from PTs in the early 50's. Trying to figure out how this should affect my PT schedule (early 50s is relatively recent and I had planned to do those PTs in the next couple of months partially (but not primarily) to get an accurate benchmark of where I stand.) Hmm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello all,

I am applying next cycle and I am currently registered for the February test, though I am going to switch my test date to June to give me some more time. Figured there was no point in taking the February test if I am not fully prepared. By way of background, I am taking a course at the moment, and have been studying since November. I've taken 7 PTs - my scores range from 165-169. I am shooting for 170+ in June.

In light of this, I'd really appreciate if someone could point me to an effective study plan that will prepare me to reach this goal on the June test while not exhausting all of the available study materials before then. Thanks!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
ready4180 wrote:At work right now, but was able to sneak some drilling in. Since I'm working through MLSAT Chap 2, I am trying to stick to doing relative and simple ordering games.

Thanks!
I drilled continuously to build up endurance. Then review either after all drilling or the next day.
I've been drilling at 8:20 for each. I'm going to move it down to 8:00 each if I can string together 2 perfect sections on PTs.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aircooled

New

Post by Aircooled » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Hello all,

I am applying next cycle and I am currently registered for the February test, though I am going to switch my test date to June to give me some more time. Figured there was no point in taking the February test if I am not fully prepared. By way of background, I am taking a course at the moment, and have been studying since November. I've taken 7 PTs - my scores range from 165-169. I am shooting for 170+ in June.

In light of this, I'd really appreciate if someone could point me to an effective study plan that will prepare me to reach this goal on the June test while not exhausting all of the available study materials before then. Thanks!

Same boat...

Finished prep course (exception)

3-4 full PT's last was 53 (scored 164).

Registered for Feb LSAT but might take then cancel, really planning on June.

I put together a study schedule for June (nothing to fancy) and would be interested in sharing or even some Skype review. PM me if interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Checking in, was planning to take in February, but this semester has three tests and a major project the week before. I was PTing, but I'm going to go finish off the drilling packages, and work hard at RC.

I'm also in the situation where I am happy with my PT scores, but want to improve more. The last three tests I have taken were all retakes from ~6 months ago, and I went 176, 169, 169. Most of my mistakes were just stupid in LR, which I am still reviewing thoroughly. I feel like I generally understand the question and answers, but just make dumb mistakes which keeps me from a the mid 170s. Any advice besides more drilling and reviewing?

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 pm

So in the middle of my prep-test I received a very important email regarding my job interview and will have to spend the rest of the night prepping.

I plan on doing the other half of the test tomorrow un-timed since mental conditioning has gone out the window. I have to take advantage of the other half of the test somehow.

On another note... I am terrible at games. They slow me down so much (to the point that I am looking at getting the cambridge book). How much drilling does it take to start even getting near the neighborhood of -0 on these things?

quigglyboom

New

Post by quigglyboom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:16 pm

CanILive wrote:
On another note... I am terrible at games. They slow me down so much (to the point that I am looking at getting the cambridge book). How much drilling does it take to start even getting near the neighborhood of -0 on these things?
That's obviously an individual thing - some people barely need any training at all. The good news is that, with training, practically everyone can improve at LGs. RC and LR are much more difficult.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Any advice on how to increase speed? Going over by about 3-7 minutes per game I go -0 just about every time. But that time is killing me. Thanks!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Any advice on how to increase speed? Going over by about 3-7 minutes per game I go -0 just about every time. But that time is killing me. Thanks!
Do a lot of games. Do the games the same time over. Force yourself to make inferences. Wish I could give better advice, but, I studied LG for about three days.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ready4180

New

Post by ready4180 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Just took my first PT since the sucky December administration. I haven't really spent much time with materials since then, so I was happy to be PTing not much lower than I was at the end of Nov.

PT 21
LG: -5 (ran out of time on 1q, had to omit)
LR1: -9
LR2: -6
RC: -1

Raw was 80, scaled was 165. Reading more MLSAT and drilling ordering game. I'm reviewing mistakes Thurs with Griffin!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:33 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Any advice on how to increase speed? Going over by about 3-7 minutes per game I go -0 just about every time. But that time is killing me. Thanks!
Do a lot of games. Do the games the same time over. Force yourself to make inferences. Wish I could give better advice, but, I studied LG for about three days.
Figured as much. 3 days LG and you wrote a 177? Nice.

leshachikha

New

Post by leshachikha » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 am

Hi y'all!

Got my Powerscore LG book today. Started on Chapters 1 (overview) and 2 (Linear Games).

Drills:
Conditional Reasoning Mini-Diagramming Drill: -0
Linear Games Rule Diagramming Drill: Pretty much matched the sample diagrams, except for #8. The rule was "If A sits next to B, then B does not sit next to C." This means that ABC and CBA are not permissible. I just drew out the if --> then statement and missed the easier way to describe the rule (this is my perennial problem, this "missing obvious shit" thing).
Linear Set-Up Practice Drill: These went... alright. I got the associated Qs correct, but kept catching myself making stupid reading comprehension mistakes (writing A > B instead of B > A, for example).
Question Stem Classification Drill: -0

This whole global v. local and classification by "logical opposition" thing doesn't really help me. I don't tend to get tripped up by the wording of the answers, so thinking about it too much is more confusing than just going by intuition. Does anyone really use this thing?

Practice Games:
#1 (June 1996, Qs 1-7): -0 in 7:10
#2 (September 1998, Qs 8-12): -0 in 8:35
#3 (June 2003, Qs 1-5): -0 in 7:15
#4 (October 2004, Qs 1-6): -1 in 8:30... Missed Q3. I got the fact that R couldn't be in the answer and eliminated A,B,D. Didn't see that 2 Fs would be together if M was 4th.

It's... not so great that I'm pushing past 8 minutes in these simple linear games. Ideally, I could budget about 5 minutes for them, so that I can pick up some time for harder games.

I also draw my diagrams way too big. Damn my cartoony script! Watch... I'll be the only person on earth rejected because of my writing sample... they'll take one look at my handwriting and think I'm twelve years old.

Hope you guys are doing well tonight!

leshachikha

New

Post by leshachikha » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 am

I'm in this boat too. :? Either I get all the inferences I'm supposed to and go -0...in 12 minutes on a simple game. Or I speed as fast as I can and end up in deep water with the last question or two per game.

nugnoy

Bronze

Post by nugnoy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:09 am

Spent 45 hours during the last 5 days going through the Manhattan LGB. Gonna crack open the latest edition of LGB now - I figured instead of reviewing the older version I used might as well get the new one just to not miss any information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ready4180

New

Post by ready4180 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Was able to get some ordering drills in at work this AM...hopefully more to come as well this afternoon.

PT24-S4-G2 (5:45) -1
PT28-S2-G1 (4:30) -1 (accidentally circled wrong answer, but work was correct)
PT30-S1-G4 (6:30) -1
PT15-S4-G3 (7:20) -0
PT17-S1-G1 (7:52) -1
PT15-S4-G1 (7:20) -0
PT27-S2-G1 (12 MINS GAH) -0 ... here I was totally stuck on #5 for some reason
PT11-S1-G2 (6:37) -0

Currently stuck on PT13-S1-G2, so if anyone has done this before and wouldn't mind sending me an explanation I'd really appreciate it!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
Figured as much. 3 days LG and you wrote a 177? Nice.
LG is a joke compared to the analysis you need to make when you evaluate a system in engineering.

ready4180

New

Post by ready4180 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Thank you! I see what I did wrong now — I read the last rule's "K" as "N" so the game wasn't making sense...that rule would have totally canceled out rule#3.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”