something i made for logic games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dec12

New

something i made for logic games

Post by dec12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm

i was being limited by my short-term memory on logic games, so i made a small program to help me out.

the program has two modes:
1. test memorization of a randomly generated list of capital letters, where you choose the number of letters
2. test memorization of a randomly generated LSAT-style scenario, where you choose the number of rules and the number of variables

the motivation for the program was twofold: first, logic games aren't all that difficult if you have the variables and rules completely memorized. if you have that knowledge, the answers become a lot easier. second, short-term memory can be improved, but research seems to indicate that you can only improve your memorization of the type of information that you practice memorizing. so, testing your short-term memory on lists of digits wouldn't be very helpful.

if anybody think that this could be helpful for their LSAT studying, let me know and i could find a way to make accessible.

comments/suggestions are welcome, esp. about whether there is a value in such a program, what features could make it better, etc.

zipehtzin

New

Re: something i made for logic games

Post by zipehtzin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 pm

This could be useful, but not just for memory training. For instance, one could use it to practice diagramming.

One concern is that the generated items may not resembles those of the LSAT; for the program to be effective, they must.

Another concern is that it is unclear what this program will accomplish that taking 30+ PTs will not.

This program would be better for people who have >4 months to study than those who have less than (because I think time would be better spent focusing directly on the LSAT). If you have >4 months to study, you will likely be able to master LG anyway.

dec12

New

Re: something i made for logic games

Post by dec12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 pm

zipehtzin wrote:This could be useful, but not just for memory training. For instance, one could use it to practice diagramming.
Yes, this is true!
zipehtzin wrote:Another concern is that it is unclear what this program will accomplish that taking 30+ PTs will not.
I think that drilling specific skills may be able to help someone who keeps going through PTs with no gains.
zipehtzin wrote:This program would be better for people who have >4 months to study than those who have less than (because I think time would be better spent focusing directly on the LSAT).
I agree that priority should be given to other prep activities first, like exposing oneself to lots of games and going through the LG bible. I plan to use this program for 15 or 20 minutes a day, and definitely not to the exclusion of my other activities.
zipehtzin wrote:If you have >4 months to study, you will likely be able to master LG anyway.
Haha, I wish that was true for me. I've been studying for 3-4 months and logic games remain my only weakness. I consistently go -1/-0 on RC and -1/-2 on each LR section, yet my LG is at least -6, sometimes -7 or -8.

On that subject, does anyone else have this odd score split? What did you do to improve?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”