PT62 LR2 Q8 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
msmith19

New

PT62 LR2 Q8

Post by msmith19 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 am

Storytelling question, asked for which AC is most supported:

I chose A and it was wrong, but I still cannot see how you would definitively choose C. Manhattan forum and Kaplan explanation both failed to convince me (big surprise on the Kaplan).

I realize that A does not address the common story types and there could be many other explanations, but C does not appear to be much better. "All" of the world's cultures? Human concerns and interests? That does not address themes and common story types if anything other than very vaguely.

Someone's more concise explanation would be very much appreciated!

togepi

Silver

Re: PT62 LR2 Q8

Post by togepi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 am

Just took this PT on Sunday.

For that question, you're looking for an inference that the passage mostly supports.

It says that studies have been done that show SEPARATED (meaning geographically and timeline wise) cultures have common themes.

This would indicate answer choice C that says certain interests (themes) arise in all of the world's cultures.

A is wrong because it's saying that cultures did not individually create their stories and that they shared them throughout. Seeing as how we're talking about cultures that were separated and who would have had no contact with each other, this answer would be false.

Sometimes those Kaplan answer keys are a bit funky. I hope this answers your question

(Also, when they're asking for what is supported, it's sometimes not inclusive with what MUST be true, but what is most likely true)

boblawlob

Silver

Re: PT62 LR2 Q8

Post by boblawlob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Remember that this question is a "most strongly supported"...so the answer doesn't have to be 100% proven by the stimulus...but it should most certainly be something inferred from it.

A is wrong because it uses the phrase "routinely borrow." Let's say, for example, the Harry Potter books share some of the same themes as a Chinese novel. That doesn't necessarily mean that the HP books borrowed the themes from the Chinese novel or vice versa. They could've developed the themes independently of each other. (Real world example: The Hunger Games and the Japanese manga/film Battle Royale where 2 very similar plots but the Hunger Games author denies having ever heard of Battle Royale). In no way does the stimulus ever hint at "borrowing."

C is a very good answer and is not actually too strong in wondering because the word "all" is justified by the word "universal" in the stimulus. If storytelling is universal and reveals common themes such as creation and tribal origin, wouldn't you infer that all cultures have some of the same common themes involving humanity itself. C fits that nicely.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”