Worth using older prep tests?

maggielizer

Worth using older prep tests?

Postby maggielizer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:16 pm

When I mentioned I was taking the LSAT this year, my friend's older brother gave me a bunch of prep books he'd never used. There's one that consists solely of practice tests that I want to use, but they're all from between 1999 and 2002. Has the LSAT changed significantly since 2002 – enough so that studying from these tests wouldn't be beneficial?

Thanks for your help!

HuskyHopeful

Re: Worth using older prep tests?

Postby HuskyHopeful » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I find that the RC sections on the older tests tend to be more challenging. Really haven't noticed too much of a difference between LRs. and the LGS from that time frame are worded awkwardly; can result in easier or much harder games IMO

skova

Postby skova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Really??

I've found the opposite -- I've pulled myself up to 23-25ish on the older test and noticed myself dropping to 20-22ish on the newer tests....

I hate RC.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 pm

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:43 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:I find that the RC sections on the older tests tend to be more challenging. Really haven't noticed too much of a difference between LRs. and the LGS from that time frame are worded awkwardly; can result in easier or much harder games IMO

The general agreement is that the RC sections become progressively harder as the tests become more recent. You might be in trouble dude!

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:58 am

Some of the games in the earliest 10 tests (7 - 18) haven't come up since then so there's not much of a point in studying them. The args and RC have remained fairly constant, args more so.

With my students I start at PT 29, I find that that's generally enough material otherwise given their schedules it might be burn-out and overwork. And if I feel that more prepping is required I can always go back to the earlier tests. Skipping the above-mentioned games of course.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 am

More recent practice tests are definitely more indicative of the modern LSAT.

However, the difference between them and the old ones isn't big enough to warrant worrying about them not being good prep. While I would drop the money on some more recent ones, if you want to get started with the older ones, they'll still be good prep. A few LG types won't show up anymore, but they're still good practice. You won't get a comparative RC passage, but having 4 normal ones is good practice. Some of the LR language will seem a bit wonky, but it's still good practice. Notice a pattern?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”