Prepping for October with that 180 or bust mentality? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CardozoLaw09

Gold

Prepping for October with that 180 or bust mentality?

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Screwed up bad on the June admin., can't make that same mistake in October. I need a super high LSAT to offset my low GPA so there's really no room to be messing around this time. That being said, I think what I'm going to do is all the PT's and after each one review each and every answer choice that I got wrong and decipher why I got it wrong. Also, I plan on reading both bibles as well as some of the Manhattan books to refine my L/(G/R) "skills." Any other suggestions on how I should approach my prep part 2?

thederangedwang

Silver

Re: Prepping for October with that 180 or bust mentality?

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 pm

In my opinion, if you arent practice testing 175 or higher, having a 180 or bust mentality is stupid and detrimental.

Have realistic goals and expect realistic gains. The saying, shoot for the stars, that way if you miss youll land on the moon...is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard..if you shoot for the stars and miss, the round is gonna come back to earth and hit somebody in the head, killing them....do you want to be a murderer?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Obviously I'm not aiming for a 180 - that would be ridiculous and stupid like you said. It was just another way of saying I need to score as high as possible.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm

thederangedwang wrote:In my opinion, if you arent practice testing 175 or higher, having a 180 or bust mentality is stupid and detrimental.

Have realistic goals and expect realistic gains. The saying, shoot for the stars, that way if you miss youll land on the moon...is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard..if you shoot for the stars and miss, the round is gonna come back to earth and hit somebody in the head, killing them....do you want to be a murderer?
Wut.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:In my opinion, if you arent practice testing 175 or higher, having a 180 or bust mentality is stupid and detrimental.

Wut.
LOL and yeah.... whattttt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Wut.
LOL and yeah.... whattttt?
LOL I actually love that saying.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:24 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Obviously I'm not aiming for a 180 - that would be ridiculous and stupid like you said. It was just another way of saying I need to score as high as possible.
He was trolling. Aim for a 180. If you fall short by a couple points... it's still an awesome score. But a 180 is by no means impossible. 180 or bust is the way to go

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Screwed up bad on the June admin., can't make that same mistake in October. I need a super high LSAT to offset my low GPA so there's really no room to be messing around this time. That being said, I think what I'm going to do is all the PT's and after each one review each and every answer choice that I got wrong and decipher why I got it wrong. Also, I plan on reading both bibles as well as some of the Manhattan books to refine my L/(G/R) "skills." Any other suggestions on how I should approach my prep part 2?
this is exactly what I'm doing, same plan, same attitude. I'm going through the Bibles now, if it gets to be mid/late August and I'm still not getting things I'll pick up the Manhattan books and adjust accordingly but this is my plan.

burtlantin

New

Post by burtlantin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Actually I'm thinking about this too. Does anyone have advice on managing high expectations for both the LSAT and school? I'm obsessed about both and I don't want to have to focus on one or the other when school rolls around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 am

180 is the only score.

BallHog

New

Post by BallHog » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:43 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Wise time management is all I can advise if focusing on one or the other isn't an option. I've got school 'til mid-August so that's when my real LSAT prep will commence; I personally couldn't do both since one of the two are bound to be compromised.
Unfortunately I don't have an option :(. Working a 9-5 summer job until early August, where I will get a couple weeks to study. Then right back to school. I agree, with a schedule like that, time management and consistency are key.

Joeshan520

Bronze

Post by Joeshan520 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 am

It's ridiculous to say "I'm not capable" on a test that really isn't knowledge based (with the exception of being able to read). It's a learnable skills based test and setting your goals for the stars will only motivate your efforts. If you DON'T get a 180 at least you know that you'll have done everything you could have to recieve the score that you did get. That being said, I don't think there is any difference between the "162 goal setter" versus the "180 goal setter" with the exception of which number they choose to use, only their effort will determine if there goal is feasible or not.

Knock it out of the park, kid!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:32 am

Joeshan520 wrote:It's ridiculous to say "I'm not capable" on a test that really isn't knowledge based (with the exception of being able to read). It's a learnable skills based test and setting your goals for the stars will only motivate your efforts. If you DON'T get a 180 at least you know that you'll have done everything you could have to recieve the score that you did get. That being said, I don't think there is any difference between the "162 goal setter" versus the "180 goal setter" with the exception of which number they choose to use, only their effort will determine if there goal is feasible or not.

Knock it out of the park, kid!
A score is just a score. Sometimes people stress way too much about this number. I'm all for shooting for the stars OP, but you can accomplish this without setting a numbers goal. Simply set a goal that you will do everything in your power to do as best you can on the test. In short, stop focusing so much on the score, and use that extra energy to study your cock off.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:It's ridiculous to say "I'm not capable" on a test that really isn't knowledge based (with the exception of being able to read). It's a learnable skills based test and setting your goals for the stars will only motivate your efforts. If you DON'T get a 180 at least you know that you'll have done everything you could have to recieve the score that you did get. That being said, I don't think there is any difference between the "162 goal setter" versus the "180 goal setter" with the exception of which number they choose to use, only their effort will determine if there goal is feasible or not.
Joeshan520 wrote: Knock it out of the park, kid!
That's the plan, my man! Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”