LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 am

Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HuskyHopeful

Re: dealing with anxiety

Postby HuskyHopeful » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:36 am

I would avoid sleep medication since some people with slower metabolisms trend to be drowsy for up to twelve hours which can impact performance. I would try and take a practice test at the testing center at 8 am the week prior to calm nerves. And most importantly if you feel anxious on the test close your eyes and breathe slowly for ten seconds. Good luck

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

i think sleeping in a hotel the night before is not a good idea, unless you stay there a couple of days before the test. i don't know about you, but i'm excited when sleeping in a new place.

meditation helps a little. but it can't solve everything. two nights before the test, i did the breathing and stuffs trying to get me to sleep, but could not.

i think reading a boring book before going to sleep helps. it basically occupies your brain and squeezes out the anxiety causing ideas.

on the test day, the only thing to do is deep breathing.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:50 am

Pretend its just another practice test. Remember you have seen every question before with different variables. Nothing should surprise you.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:54 am

If you do decide to use any sort of medication, try it out a few times before test day. You don't want to be the person who passes out at his desk after popping a Xanax.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Nova wrote:Pretend its just another practice test. Remember you have seen every question before with different variables. Nothing should surprise you.

This doesn't work for everyone. I told myself this in June but reality is, it's not another practice test. The second I saw a question I wasn't sure of I realized there was no reviewing it, no checking the answer after, nothing like that. It made me nervous.
As op said, already having a decent score helps the nerves I hope, and having done it all before too.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote: I think the simple fact that I already have a score which can get me into the T14 will help.

Really just focus on this, though my score isn't that great - it's how I'm battling the anxiety that comes with this test.
At the end of the day I can go to a good law school, not the best, but it's still not the end of the world.

Working out helps a lot, min an hour.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm

My idea about dealing with anxiety is that people should find a type of meditation that works for them. Then they should practice that meditation every single day. Practice meditating like it is a part of the practice test. You can't learn to meditate in one day. If you can use meditation, including any kind of simple breathing exercise, on exam day you will be calmer and more focused. You will be able to calm down your nerves if they interfere with your performance.

As anxiety is a huge factor in people's performance, I think people should practice calming down as a test taking strategy.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Nova wrote:Pretend its just another practice test. Remember you have seen every question before with different variables. Nothing should surprise you.

This doesn't work for everyone. I told myself this in June but reality is, it's not another practice test. The second I saw a question I wasn't sure of I realized there was no reviewing it, no checking the answer after, nothing like that. It made me nervous.

Well yeah, of course it doesn't work for everyone. In general, primitive fight or flight responses are not helpful, and that's why I'm suggesting attempting to suppress it by minimizing the importance in ones own mind (just like you suggested remembering you already have a good score).
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Anxiety issues run in my family, and 99% of the time I'm just your average neurotic, but I was having daily intense panic attacks in the weeks leading up to the test. I was really worried that I'd have a crippling attack mid-test, which in turn made me panic more. Awesome! I was too nervous about medication slowing me down to try it, though.

Meditation helped me a lot, even though I was skeptical to begin with. Just getting alone and shutting your eyes, maybe playing some wordless music, and totally emptying your head for even 10 minutes can make a huge difference. If you have trouble clearing your mind, just take deep breaths and focus entirely on your breathing.
Any time I felt anxiety building on test day, I did everything in my power to channel it into positive energy. People would ask if I was nervous, and I would say, "No, I'm excited." The more I thought positively about it, the more optimistic I felt. I know it sounds silly, but it made a HUGE difference for me. Instead of telling myself, "I might choke, I might panic, I might fail," I thought, "This is my chance to prove myself and show how badly I want this." Your frame of mind will influence you; you might as well make it as positive as possible.

The comfort of having a good score in the bank, even if it wasn't quite good enough, is probably going to be a big help. Think of it this way - you got a T14-worthy score at your very worst. You can only go up from there.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm

First of all good luck on the retake, I know you know the stuff, which is probably why you're posting this.

Honestly I was flipping out on test day. I couldn't stop thinking about whether I'd prepped enough, why the hell didn't I finish PT 65, what if I didn't get into law school and spent the rest of my life as a janitor, etc etc. I made the mistake of getting to the test center really early (it was like an hour away, and I didn't want to risk getting stuck in traffic) so I had about an hour and a half to just sit there and freak myself out. It was awful.

Then I ran into an old buddy from my kung fu class who I hadn't seen in a couple years, and was also taking the LSAT. Talking to him calmed me down a LOT, and took my mind off the test, since mostly we joked about our old sifu and made jokes at his expense. I feel like I was way more mentally ready for the test after talking to him and relaxing for a while.

I know you can't PLAN to run into an old friend, but if you have a REALLY good buddy who owes you a favor, consider bringing him/her along to the test center if it's not too far away. At that point, you shouldn't be studying, and time spent in your own head will just freak you out. Laughing really hard at a joke only 20 minutes before the test started really put me in a good mindset.

Edit: sorry just read that you'll be in a hotel the night before so you might have a hard time finding a friend who will go with you. If you have Facetime or Skype mobile, I still think that chatting with someone funny before the test will cheer you up and lower anxiety.
Last edited by cc.celina on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 pm

sunynp wrote:My idea about dealing with anxiety is that people should find a type of meditation that works for them. Then they should practice that meditation every single day. Practice meditating like it is a part of the practice test. You can't learn to meditate in one day. If you can use meditation, including any kind of simple breathing exercise, on exam day you will be calmer and more focused. You will be able to calm down your nerves if they interfere with your performance.

As anxiety is a huge factor in people's performance, I think people should practice calming down as a test taking strategy.

Yea, this. I'd recommend some sort of binaural beats like Holosync or one of those programs. Shit is powerful, you always feel good after using it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”